PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to reset my ECU after installing an intake?

simplygriff
12-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I put on the Alta CAI right after thanksgiving but I never reset the ECU or anything. Is this a necessary step or are there any gains to doing so? I know I reset my RSX ECU after I put that intake on. Also if I reset the ECU will I lose my couresty settings? (door locks open with 1 click, sunroof and windows if I hold button, etc.)

And if I do reset my ECU how do I do it? Just pull the fuse and wait a while are reinsert?

Thanks guys!
-G

iDiaz
12-29-2005, 08:28 PM
I put on the Alta CAI right after thanksgiving but I never reset the ECU or anything. Is this a necessary step or are there any gains to doing so? I know I reset my RSX ECU after I put that intake on. Also if I reset the ECU will I lose my couresty settings? (door locks open with 1 click, sunroof and windows if I hold button, etc.)

And if I do reset my ECU how do I do it? Just pull the fuse and wait a while are reinsert?

Thanks guys!
-G

I donno, I've reset my ECU and my daytime running lights are still on. I'm not sure if they're on by default, though.

It can't hurt to reset the ECU so that it has to relearn the configuration of your engine. To reset it, open up the panel at the base of your boot and disconnect the the battery for 5 minutes or so, then reconnect.

not-so-rednwhitecooper
12-30-2005, 03:37 AM
you can also do a computer reset thru the test menu, easier than disconnecting the battery.

simplygriff
12-30-2005, 03:38 AM
How do I access the test menu? My battery is harder to access than most with my speakers in the boot.
-G

not-so-rednwhitecooper
12-30-2005, 08:56 AM
i'll try and get ya the link off MINI2, its accessed thru the speedo....

simplygriff
01-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Did ya ever find that link?
-G

not-so-rednwhitecooper
01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
yeah, lemme get ir for ya right now....

not-so-rednwhitecooper
01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=test+menu&match=all&titlesonly=0

Hulles
01-05-2006, 03:58 AM
ha cool, didnt know the mini on board computer could do all that. a friend of mine had a VW GTI and I remember him doing that with it..bringing up all sorts of odd info ha pretty neat tho.

DM

ingsoc
01-05-2006, 05:17 AM
ha cool, didnt know the mini on board computer could do all that. a friend of mine had a VW GTI and I remember him doing that with it..bringing up all sorts of odd info ha pretty neat tho.

DM

Just a bit of advice: the "reset" function via the gauges does not reset the ECU. I heard it from my own personal software guru ;). It's a gauge reset, not an ECU reset. The battery disconnect would be the only way... :tu:

not-so-rednwhitecooper
01-05-2006, 07:17 AM
how about yanking the ECU plugs?

lol, i had to when i was doing my intake this week, so i assume that resets it too!

ingsoc
01-05-2006, 12:36 PM

lol, i had to when i was doing my intake this week, so i assume that resets it too!

nooooooooooooooooooooo! you made the fatal error! you forgot about the magical ecu fairies! They can give it this "pixie dust" stuff to carry it over until it gets plugged back in! I done seen it myself! :D :tu:

simplygriff
01-05-2006, 03:36 PM

That's what I was going to try. Does anyone know if it will reset my courtesy settings though? (one touch locks, open windows/sunroof with key, etc.)
-G

Rally
01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Just a bit of advice: the "reset" function via the gauges does not reset the ECU. I heard it from my own personal software guru ;). It's a gauge reset, not an ECU reset. The battery disconnect would be the only way... :tu:

It doesnt reset the entire ECU, but it does reset the "learning" "program".

ingsoc
01-13-2006, 04:43 AM
It doesnt reset the entire ECU, but it does reset the "learning" "program".

Says who? ;). Honestly, it doesn't do anything to the program, according to someone who actually writes custom programs for our ecu's...

RFIbanez
01-13-2006, 05:04 PM
My Mini was acting up one time...reset the ECU and all was good again.

Rally
01-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Says who? ;). Honestly, it doesn't do anything to the program, according to someone who actually writes custom programs for our ecu's...

Really cause that's where i got my source too...someone who custom programs ECU's. I also heard it from the MINI technician.

ScottinBend
01-30-2006, 04:20 PM
The reset thru the speedo does reset the "adaptive" portion of the ECU. It doesn't "reset" the ECU per se. If you have had the mod for a while the ECU has already adapted to it.

Konky
01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Ivan, why are you running daytime running lights? :yuck:

iDiaz
01-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Ivan, why are you running daytime running lights? :yuck:

I dunno, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Instead, I just turn my lights on at all times now. ;) I have special plans for those DRLs, though. Stay tuned. :p

Konky
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
:tuned: :D

JacqtheShark
01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
I also have daytime running lights. Is there a way to turn them off? I would be interested in doing that. (no good reason, they just annoy me)

Rally
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
I dunno, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Instead, I just turn my lights on at all times now. ;) I have special plans for those DRLs, though. Stay tuned. :p

Ivan, i told you....hooking up undercar rainbow neons to your DRLs ISNT cool :p ;)

Rally
01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I also have daytime running lights. Is there a way to turn them off? I would be interested in doing that. (no good reason, they just annoy me)

Just ask the dealer next time you see them. They can just turn them off free of charge. Ask about all of the other options, there are a lot of weird ones. :)

iDiaz
01-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Ivan, i told you....hooking up undercar rainbow neons to your DRLs ISNT cool :p ;)

:crap:

iDiaz
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Just ask the dealer next time you see them. They can just turn them off free of charge. Ask about all of the other options, there are a lot of weird ones. :)

You must have a pretty cool dealer, 'cause Assael MINI wanted to charge me $40 to disable them, even though they were already gonna hook it up to the computer as part of a scheduled free service. :mad:

Rally
01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
You must have a pretty cool dealer, 'cause Assael MINI wanted to charge me $40 to disable them, even though they were already gonna hook it up to the computer as part of a scheduled free service. :mad:

Hmmmm this was a long time ago back in late 2002 when they did that....they may charge now. I have heard that a few times :cussing: <---for all the un-cool dealers out there :p

Konky
01-30-2006, 06:49 PM
my dealer does it free of charge :D come out and visit me, I'll schedule you an appointment ;)

JacqtheShark
01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks Konky - I think I'll pass on your offer...for some reason a road trip to PA doesn't excite me really.

hehe