PDA

View Full Version : Question on Spacers

BE4TNUT
01-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Ok, this is just something I have been wondering. What are the effects spacers would have anywhere from daily driving to situations like Auto-X runs? And whether they are used to simply pop the wheel out a tad bit more or people that use them to fit a BBK behind their wheel of choice. Im just wondering how this would effect how the car already acts in various situations or if it will act exactly the same.

Rally
01-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Ok, this is just something I have been wondering. What are the effects spacers would have anywhere from daily driving to situations like Auto-X runs? And whether they are used to simply pop the wheel out a tad bit more or people that use them to fit a BBK behind their wheel of choice. Im just wondering how this would effect how the car already acts in various situations or if it will act exactly the same.

It widens the overall width of the car and thus, makes the car handle a bit better or atleast flatter in most cases. I could feel the difference in autocross runs, but not a whole lot...

Alot of it is looks and wheel/brake clearance

BE4TNUT
01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Do you run 5 or 10mm spacers? Im thinking about putting some spacers on mainly for looks but also in preparation for a BBK later on down the line (I get a little nervous when the caliper is right up on the rims).

Lastly should you run the same size spacers all around? I have heard of a couple VW friends before talking about running like 5's in the front and 10's in the rear.

brownMINI
01-21-2007, 05:09 PM
head over to NAM and do some searching... meb has written a lot about spacers and handling - he seems to think they're a really good thing on a track car.

Dave
01-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I would just caution you not to go too wide (10mm max probably). The cars I have driven with wider spacers (15mm) felt like they had a steering damper in them (steering seems slow to respond).

BE4TNUT
01-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok cool, you I would never go over 10mm, and I would be very hesitant on 5mm... This is pretty much just stuff that runs through my head and I am curious about. I kinda do want to do 5mm spacers just to pop the rims out a tab bit more. Maybe I will this summer, I will search on NAM to see what other people think about them also. Thanks guys.

Rally
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Do you run 5 or 10mm spacers? Im thinking about putting some spacers on mainly for looks but also in preparation for a BBK later on down the line (I get a little nervous when the caliper is right up on the rims).

Lastly should you run the same size spacers all around? I have heard of a couple VW friends before talking about running like 5's in the front and 10's in the rear.

I run 5's.....after going over 8mm you arent using the hub to seat the wheel....it uses an added extension to fit into the hub bore. I'm a little weary of that...

You can run different sizes. For better handling on a FWD car, we want it wider up front. A lot of VW guys thrown wider on the back for looks though.

Drillslinger
01-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Most of the VW/Audi guys go bigger in the rear because the rear wheels (on the MKIV models at least) sit further inside the rear wells (Not sure if this is an offset thing or just fender flares) and bringing the rears out more "evens" out the look :tu: I had 15mm's at each corner of my A3 and couldn't really detect much of a handling improvement but it LOOKED great :D I also found it much more convenient to have the same size all around, that way I didn't have to worry about making sure I had the right lug bolts on the right wheel.
Has anyone has any rubbing issues with 10mm spacers?

Thanks

JuniorMint
01-22-2007, 01:36 AM
For better handling on a FWD car, we want it wider up front.

How much wider would you have to go to feel a difference?

Rally
01-22-2007, 02:37 AM
How much wider would you have to go to feel a difference?

I'm not really sure....I have never done it

Here is some good reading
http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11185&highlight=staggered
http://www.therealjdm.com/archives/TheRealJDM01.pdf

It looks good on real track cars
http://www.ejlin.com/albums/tas-2005/tokyo_auto_salon_2005_532.sized.jpg

Konky
01-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Has anyone has any rubbing issues with 10mm spacers?

Thanks

depends on what offset you're starting with.

Drillslinger
01-22-2007, 03:35 AM
depends on what offset you're starting with.

Well, I've got std S-Lites (not sure of offset, +50??) and the Kazera's are +45 :tu:

Konky
01-22-2007, 04:33 AM
stock height, 10mm spacers will not rub on either of those wheels.

lowering springs shouldn't rub if you're running 205/45 tires on the S-lites, the Kazera's might, are they 7" or 7.5" wide and what size tires?

coils might rub depending on how low they're set.

Drillslinger
01-22-2007, 03:32 PM
So far the suspension's standard. When I do mod it ($$$ permitting) it'll just be springs with minimal lowering and then I'll upgrade shocks when the oem's die. The Kazera's don't have any tires yet, but I expect to either stay std or maybe widen it out to 215's. Oh, and the Kazera's are 7" :tu:
Sounds like I should be good to go with 10mm then, eh? :)

Thanks.

Konky
01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
yeah, you should be fine :tu:

RFIbanez
01-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Do you need longer lug bolts if you use spacers?

How much do spacers usually run for?

Konky
01-23-2007, 02:20 AM
5mm or larger I'd recommend longer lug studs... They say you're supposed to get 7 full turns to be safe.

JuniorMint
01-26-2007, 12:59 AM
I have hubcentric rings to get my rims to fit correctly, would it be a bad idea to add some 5mm spacers on top of that. It seems like that may be to many add-on's in one area