PDA

View Full Version : Toyo T1R or Falken 615s? or sumthin else?

TheWanderer
06-09-2007, 03:29 PM
So I've got me some 17" OZ Superleggeras on their way (my dream wheel, so excited) and I need to pick out tires.

I'm leaning towards either the Falken 615s or Toyo T1Rs. Both can be had from Edge racing (Falken's $97, Toyo $116). I've read decent things about both tires. I don't want to spend anymore than $120 per tire.

So, advice? How will they wear? I assume the Toyo's will wear a bit faster. How do they perform?

Thanks m|u. Pics will ensue!

(Oh and does anyone know a good wheel refinisher on Long Island? One wheel has some curbage on the lip. It doesn't look too bad, but I will inspect further when I recieve them)

xalfa
06-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Don't forget the Kumho MX.

TheWanderer
06-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I've heard iffy reviews on the Kumhos. I assume you like em?

xalfa
06-09-2007, 06:58 PM
No, but "Dave", the NAM apparatchik and informer who frequents m|u, claimed he did a head-to-head between the MXs and the 615s and said he prefered the MXs for auto-x. I have about 15k on the 615s and love 'em. My last track day instructor (pro Formula D driver) said he really liked them as well. The tread pattern alone is worth a few bonus points imo.

Slow Paul
06-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I really like the 615's as well. But if you live in an area that gets frequent rain you may wanna avoid then for their lack off wet traction.

iDiaz
06-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I've gone through many a set of MX's and I love them. I haven't run the other tires, so I can't compare, though.

TheWanderer
06-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Aright sounds good.

Will look more closely at the Kumhos.

Regrading size. I think Ima go 205/40. It'll get me a little lower. I read somewhere that someone went 215/40 and hated it. (Coulda been 215/45 though).

Anyway, thanks for the input thus far.

xalfa
06-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I like my 215/45s. The 615s have a pretty stiff sidewall.

RFIbanez
06-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I use the Kumho MX and I love them, best tire I have ever used and they can be had for well under $100 in 205/40-17.

Most of the Sport Compact Car guys use the MX as well, although they don't write about it in the mags.

RalphzMCS
06-10-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm running T1Rs and am pleased. Good with both dry and wet weather. Heard good things with the Falkens too

TheWanderer
06-10-2007, 07:29 AM
I hate tires.

Now I can't decide whether or not to go 215/40 or 205/40. the extra 10mm of width would probably be nice. And they'd still get me lower than the stockers.

I've read a couple reviews that say the Falkens aren't great in the wet. This true? How are the Kumhos in the wet? Eventually, I'll just give up debating and go with whatever the gut says. But in the meantime...

iDiaz
06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I hate tires.

Now I can't decide whether or not to go 215/40 or 205/40. the extra 10mm of width would probably be nice. And they'd still get me lower than the stockers.

I've read a couple reviews that say the Falkens aren't great in the wet. This true? How are the Kumhos in the wet? Eventually, I'll just give up debating and go with whatever the gut says. But in the meantime...

Based on what I've read, the Ecsta MX is better than the Falken RT-615 in the wet. With that said, the only one I've tested is the Ecsta MX, and it performs well enough. Not great, but well enough to get you from point-A to point-B, and so long as you've got plenty of tread depth.

gci
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I plan on getting Hankook RS-2's. They are a very good performing tire and handle extremely well. I friend of mine is running them on his Cooper S in 17's. The heat up quickly for a nice grip and they even do well in the rain. They stick well enough that he took a turn (not quite 90 degrees) in our mall parking lot at 50 mph or so and pull the right rear tire just over a foot off the ground. After the third time, he bent his rear control arms, lol. But to me, they are good tires all around; dry daily driving, dry heavy driving, and wet driving.

iDiaz
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
They stick well enough that he took a turn (not quite 90 degrees) in our mall parking lot at 50 mph or so and pull the right rear tire just over a foot off the ground. After the third time, he bent his rear control arms, lol.

Can he shoot fireballs from his eyes and lightning bolts from his arse, too? :P

gci
06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Can he shoot fireballs from his eyes and lightning bolts from his arse, too? :P

If he can do that, then I am sending videos to CNN and FOX news, lol. But I was driving behind him everytime he did it and yes, the right wheel came off the ground a good 12 in. I didnt believe it the first time I saw it.

iDiaz
06-11-2007, 11:05 PM
If he can do that, then I am sending videos to CNN and FOX news, lol. But I was driving behind him everytime he did it and yes, the right wheel came off the ground a good 12 in. I didnt believe it the first time I saw it.

Soo, just so we're clear, only the right rear came off the ground 12 inches... the front was planted, right?

http://www.mixxer.com/download/personal/a9a536dd7cf773cd9e6f389d71dad36d.jpg/a9a536dd7cf773cd9e6f389d71dad36d.jpg

gci
06-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Soo, just so we're clear, only the right rear came off the ground 12 inches... the front was planted, right?

http://www.mixxer.com/download/personal/a9a536dd7cf773cd9e6f389d71dad36d.jpg/a9a536dd7cf773cd9e6f389d71dad36d.jpg

yes the right rear came off the ground, not sure about the right front. He said the traction control was going crazy due to the fact the tire was off the ground

iDiaz
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
yes the right rear came off the ground, not sure about the right front. He said the traction control was going crazy due to the fact the tire was off the ground

I think you need to put down the pipe and get some sleep, sir. ;)

xalfa
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Actually, pass that pipe over here. That's gotta be some good sh!t.

iDiaz
06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Off of the ground I can understand (and really has to do with more than just the tires, i.e. swaybar and spring rates). A single corner off the ground 12 inches? Naw, dog... naw.

TheWanderer
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Wait a turn in a mall parking lot at 50mph?

You sure he didn't catch a curb and that's how the wheel got so high off the ground?

Otherwise, I will aslo call shennanigans.

iDiaz
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Wait a turn in a mall parking lot at 50mph?

You sure he didn't catch a curb and that's how the wheel got so high off the ground?

Otherwise, I will aslo call shennanigans.

Even so, that would have brought two tires off of the ground, not just one.

*blows whistle* THERE'S A SHENANIGANS CALL ON THE PLAY!

xalfa
06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Would you believe 1.2"?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/405437466_66d7a1e6dc.jpg?v=0

iDiaz
06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Would you believe 1.2"?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/405437466_66d7a1e6dc.jpg?v=0

Hahahahah--misplaced decimal point? :laff:

gci
06-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Thats fine, call it bull**** all you want. I have no reason to lie. But its the internet and I dont blame yall for not believing. I would call bull**** too.

But to clear up a few things:
-no curbs involved
-it was late at night
-the pic of the mini lifting the tire isnt turning near as sharp as what he was.
-2 tires off the ground, maybe. i already stated this, i was watching the right rear tire not the front

iDiaz
06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Thats fine, call it bull**** all you want. I have no reason to lie. But its the internet and I dont blame yall for not believing. I would call bull**** too.

But to clear up a few things:
-no curbs involved
-it was late at night
-the pic of the mini lifting the tire isnt turning near as sharp as what he was.
-2 tires off the ground, maybe. i already stated this, i was watching the right rear tire not the front

I don't doubt that he got a tire off the ground, but 12"? There are picture somewhere on this forum of full race MINIs on racing slicks with wheels off the ground, still nowhere near 12".

Speakin'a which, anyone know where those pictures were? Those shots were friggin' awesome.

gci
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't doubt that he got a tire off the ground, but 12"? There are picture somewhere on this forum of full race MINIs on racing slicks with wheels off the ground, still nowhere near 12".

Speakin'a which, anyone know where those pictures were? Those shots were friggin' awesome.

Not arguring, just getting your opinion. ( I know it can be hard to tell a persons 'tone of voice' over the intrenet) :tu:

The full on race Mini's are going to have a lower and tighter suspension so therefore it would make it harder for them to pull up a tire, right? His car is on stock suspension. We noticed the rear control arm was bent after we got chased off by the security, lol. Do you think that would have made it easier for the wheel to come off the ground? I see your point where 12" is a long ways in the air, but it was nothing like 1 or 2 inches, it was much more than that. It was very noticeable. Give me some feedback on what you think.

iDiaz
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Not arguring, just getting your opinion. ( I know it can be hard to tell a persons 'tone of voice' over the intrenet) :tu:

The full on race Mini's are going to have a lower and tighter suspension so therefore it would make it harder for them to pull up a tire, right?

Not necessarily. They also have a higher grip level with the race tires, so that tends to really push the chassis around, even with stiff suspension.

His car is on stock suspension. We noticed the rear control arm was bent after we got chased off by the security, lol. Do you think that would have made it easier for the wheel to come off the ground?

Donnos. It could have made the car more likely to tip over if the outside tire had crazy positive camber from having a bent lower control arm. Then again, that could have made the contact patch smaller, making it more likely to slide. Who knows.

I see your point where 12" is a long ways in the air, but it was nothing like 1 or 2 inches, it was much more than that. It was very noticeable. Give me some feedback on what you think.

I donno, but I think there's more at play here than just tires.