PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of a patched tire???

simplygriff
02-21-2006, 09:16 PM
So my flat-tire warining went off yesterday morning... I thought maybe it was just acting up cause it was cold as a witches tit outside. Checked all the tires when I got to work and all seemed fine. Got in the car to go run some errands for work in teh afternoon and the light was still on and the car was handling like garbage so I stopped at the BP to check the tire pressiure and lo and behold there's a nail in my tire. Right in the middle. That's the last time I eat at that IHOP. That's the second nail in a tire in as many trips to IHOP (last one was in the RSX which casued me to buy the tires that are on my MINI now)

So I had Merchant's Tire patch the tire from the inside last night. Are there any dangers now with a patched tire? I know the old school plugs weren't safe but tha'ts why they do patches now right... I just don't want to get up to Dragon in 2 months and have a problem... So what's the word on patches.
-G

iDiaz
02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Working where I work (lots of trade show crates), I get nails in my tires pretty often. So long as it's patched from the inside with a quality patch, it's fine.

One thing that a shop mentioned to me once I switched to BFGoodrich is that with BFG's, you should not apply two patches within 90 degrees of the circumference of the tire, as they use some exclusive belt design that can suffer some deficits in structural integrity if this rule is not followed.

simplygriff
02-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Good to know and glad to hear it. Thanks!
-G