PDA

View Full Version : ive got a leak

Chase
12-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Ive got a leak in my right rear tire, at least i think its the tire. I have aroubd 35 psi all the time in my tires, but a few days ago it was down to 20 so i aired it up. Last night it was even lower and that was only a few days difference. Ive got a long road trip ahead, what should i do to fix this?

Slow Paul
12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Go to a tire shop and have them take a look at it. It might be able to be patched.

PGT
12-07-2007, 03:58 PM
fill it up to 40psi, take some soapy water and cover it. look for bubbles. it can be a hole in the tire itself, the valvestem or even the seal on the rim.

or, take it to a tire shop...most only charge $10 to look at it.

Chase
12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah, im just about to take it to a tire shop. Lets hope its not the wheel. I really cant afford to get a new set of wheels before my trip.

qwkslvr02
12-07-2007, 05:53 PM
yeah, im just about to take it to a tire shop. Lets hope its not the wheel. I really cant afford to get a new set of wheels before my trip.

good luck with that man. sorry to hear it.

Bombardier
12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
just look at you tire... roll the car back if you dont see anything and look again... you may have a nail or a screw in it... if you find said nail or screw... then all you need to do is go to auto zone and get one of those tire patch kits... they are like $5... follow the directions...

you will laugh at how silly easy it is....

iDiaz
12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
just look at you tire... roll the car back if you dont see anything and look again... you may have a nail or a screw in it... if you find said nail or screw... then all you need to do is go to auto zone and get one of those tire patch kits... they are like $5... follow the directions...

you will laugh at how silly easy it is....

Ack, naw dogg! Most tire shops will patch your tires the right way for $10-20 by unmounting the tire and patching it from the inside. Those rubber-plug-and-cement things tend to leak, and are not to be trusted if you'll be doing any hard driving.

Brain
12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
While I do agree about the plug not being the correct way to do it they dont usually leak. I have one in my tire on the truck and I beat the crap out of it and its been in there for almost 20K and no leak.

Consider this though when you use the plug you are forcing something through the steel belts on the tire and that cant be good! Definitely take it to the tire shop and spend the little $ and have it fixed properly.

Plugs are best suited for emergency situations and off road vehicles like quads etc.

iDiaz
12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
While I do agree about the plug not being the correct way to do it they dont usually leak. I have one in my tire on the truck and I beat the crap out of it and its been in there for almost 20K and no leak.

Consider this though when you use the plug you are forcing something through the steel belts on the tire and that cant be good! Definitely take it to the tire shop and spend the little $ and have it fixed properly.

Plugs are best suited for emergency situations and off road vehicles like quads etc.

I've had one leak before. Definitely best suited to emergency situations. Like I said, I wouldn't trust anything but a proper patch on the inside if you'll be pushing your car. The last thing I would want is for the plug to pop out while cornering hard, and that just won't happen with a patch since air pressure forces it against the inside of the tire.

Bombardier
12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Ack, naw dogg! Most tire shops will patch your tires the right way for $10-20 by unmounting the tire and patching it from the inside. Those rubber-plug-and-cement things tend to leak, and are not to be trusted if you'll be doing any hard driving.

good point about the hard driving thing... I carry those patch kits as a just incase type thing... so it was my first thought...

PGT
12-07-2007, 09:00 PM
ya....even some ten years ago when I worked at a gas station during college, the rule was 'no plugs on z-rated tires', patches only'

Chase
12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
done and done, I had a screw in it. haha. I took it to discount tire and they patched it and all that jazz for free. yippee

Bombardier
12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
woo hoo!

PGT
12-10-2007, 08:59 PM
so what you are saying is now you have a screw loose? makes sense