motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Braking (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How often do you guys get.. (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25800)

slowbutpretty 07-09-2015 03:09 AM

How often do you guys get..
 
Brake fluid flushes? I just got an oil change today at a shop I've never been to, they did recommend a break fluid flush, but I didn't opt to get one. Later that day, I was watching a somewhat documentary of shaddy mechanics naming things you wouldn't need done to your car. So I was just curious, how shaddy this place was, I'm a little paranoid, still looking for that go to shop.

thebestever 07-09-2015 03:06 PM

so, i only get my car serviced at the dealership because i have the service plan add on thing and i think they only flush the fluid when they do the brakes, but i don't know for sure... but i thought that oil changing shops always recommend that you do extra things because that is how they really make money.

what kind of shop was it? and when was your last brake fluid flush?

slowbutpretty 07-09-2015 05:32 PM

It was a shop that specializes in German and European cars. The oil change was $90 + tax which seemed reasonable because that's how much the dealer would charge? I haven't had a Brake fluid flush since I just recently purchased the car, the car had 28k miles on it would that indicate it was time for one?

Rally 07-09-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbutpretty (Post 802945)
the car had 28k miles on it would that indicate it was time for one?

How old is the car? That mileage wouldn't usually warrant a flush. I know the factory recommended interval was 2 years on first gens independent of mileage.

In general, it's not an overly urgent job unless you are experiencing any troubles with your brake system like a spongy pedal.

It is standard for mechanics to suggest repairs that are not necessarily urgent because it's how they make their money. It's not something to be turned off by (unless they do it in a shady way)...just feel free to pick and choose the work that you feel is important based on research.

slowbutpretty 07-10-2015 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rally (Post 802946)
How old is the car? That mileage wouldn't usually warrant a flush. I know the factory recommended interval was 2 years on first gens independent of mileage.

In general, it's not an overly urgent job unless you are experiencing any troubles with your brake system like a spongy pedal.

It is standard for mechanics to suggest repairs that are not necessarily urgent because it's how they make their money. It's not something to be turned off by (unless they do it in a shady way)...just feel free to pick and choose the work that you feel is important based on research.

The car is a 2008 model. My brakes aren't spongy at all, so I guess I should be fine. Everything you said sounds extremely reasonable. I guess that documentary just turned me off on this shop a bit. But let me as you this, I was them how much installing lowering springs would cost, they gave me a quote of $300 for the whole set. Does that sound reasonable? And I'm sorry if my questions are kind of ridiculous, this is my first car I've owned! :) And definitely not a auto kinda guy, more of a video games kinda guy, but like nice cars!

Tit 07-10-2015 10:30 AM

Flushing brake fluid is mechanics 101. If you find a mate who's got some experience and have a go yourself. It could be a fun learning experience and is relatively simple.

Lukifer 07-10-2015 11:26 AM

$90 for an oil change..... I guess it has been a while, I have not paid anyone to do an oil change on the mini in years. Some people might disagree, but I do not think it is ever OK for a private shop to charge as much as the dealer does. I suggest that you start learning how to do your own work on the car. :-)

thebestever 07-10-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbutpretty (Post 802948)
The car is a 2008 model. My brakes aren't spongy at all, so I guess I should be fine. Everything you said sounds extremely reasonable. I guess that documentary just turned me off on this shop a bit. But let me as you this, I was them how much installing lowering springs would cost, they gave me a quote of $300 for the whole set. Does that sound reasonable? And I'm sorry if my questions are kind of ridiculous, this is my first car I've owned! :) And definitely not a auto kinda guy, more of a video games kinda guy, but like nice cars!

$300 for a set of lowering springs from a shop is fairly accurate. i just did a quick search for H&R sport springs, and it looks like they are around $230 from tire rack.

slowbutpretty 07-10-2015 03:19 PM

@thebestever, oh sorry. I meant installing the set of lowering springs is going to be $300. Does that sound reasonable?

thebestever 07-10-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbutpretty (Post 802953)
@thebestever, oh sorry. I meant installing the set of lowering springs is going to be $300. Does that sound reasonable?

i've only had friends do it for me, but it doesn't sound bad.

Lukifer 07-10-2015 03:59 PM

where are you located?

slowbutpretty 07-10-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukifer (Post 802955)
where are you located?

Fountain valley, California.

Lukifer 07-10-2015 06:43 PM

I am a little too far to come help and I dont know the area, but springs are not hard to do.

slowbutpretty 07-10-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukifer (Post 802957)
I am a little too far to come help and I dont know the area, but springs are not hard to do.

New York is way too far! Haha

Snip's 07-10-2015 09:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yeah.... They are pretty easy to install... I did mine on a Saturday myself without a lift...

I went with Swift springs and added IE fixed camber plates at the same time.... I even made my own toe plates just to get the toe close until I could get a 4 wheel alignment...

Attachment 7643

Attachment 7644

Attachment 7645

Attachment 7646


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2005 motoring|underground, all rights reserved.