motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cornering (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   thoughts on Megan coils (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449)

Rally 01-03-2006 03:03 PM

thoughts on Megan coils

So the price seems a little too good to be true. Under the group buy you can get them for 950 and they include camber plates.

raise up to 1 inch (for winters) and lower 3 inches. decent spring rates around 300 (not too harsh like the teins). 32 way adjustable although the adjustments at the rear are on top i believe. Not rebuildable, but the price of return is decent for atleast 3 years.

I'm currently toying around with the idea of coils for my next car. A lot of it is to get a lower stance. I was looking at these, and the KW's which i have heard amazing things about. I really am looking for a street setup that will tolerate track days instead of a track setup that tolerates street days. From what i have read the KW's fulfill that really well, and it seems like the Megan's would too.

I have a feeling i will hear "save up and get bilsteins", and i certainly will if there are good reasons to, i would just like to hear them.

(ps...i know we have talked about this all before on tmmz, but it might be nice to start the long debate about coils on this board :) )

benthevegan 01-03-2006 03:09 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about these coilovers too. They are only like $1100(after the group buy) and are 32 way adjustable they come with built in camber plates:eek: :squint: ..........something seems kinda wrong here. They do seem to cheap to be any good. I'm waiting for some peoples opinions on them after they have had them for a while. I would never buy a pre sale on coilovers especially ones that aren't from a real respected brand.

Rally 01-03-2006 03:14 PM

word, im definitely waiting a while to see how other people like them...and besides no use in having coilovers when you dont have the car :p

Forgot to add...they are adjustable for rebound AND compression..and the rear adjustments can be done while they are on the car because he sends a template to drill in the rear to allow access to the adjustment knob :tu:

Someone said that other car japanes car owners liken the megan coils to teins or d2's....which is the economic-performance group.

benthevegan 01-03-2006 03:18 PM

Oh I hadn't heard about drilling so you can adjust the rears.......that sounds like a pretty good idea. I used follow the tread about them but then I stopped.......maybe I should go take another look at it.

Rally 01-03-2006 03:33 PM

yah...you drill a hole and then its attached via a knob at the end of a hose....there is a pic in that thread somewhere in the middle i think

Here is a cool thread over on an RSX board, people seem to think they are good coils......oddly enough the guy who wrote the review (and loved them) tries to sell them at the end of the thread:confused:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=315491

benthevegan 01-03-2006 03:37 PM

I could be wrong but I think that guy travis from gravel crew had megan coilovers on his rs when he entered his car in the touge that spike was in. I remember he got all really good feedback on his suspension. I forgot which who drove his car but I remember them saying that the suspension was really, really good.

Lucky13 01-03-2006 04:59 PM

yeah he's got the meagns and he absolutley loves them
and he got a great deal on em, and kazama loved them too

benthevegan 01-03-2006 05:14 PM

Yeah, so I guess they are pretty good coilovers, the only thing that kinda scares me is how long they are going to last. If your really considering these I'd check other forums and see how long people have had these and how well they have held up.

Hey Brittney, what suspension was Travis using before the megans?

Lucky13 01-03-2006 06:41 PM

stock blown struts...
oh then he got some tokico d-specs or some shit, but from what I hear those are crap for rally use

RFIbanez 01-03-2006 08:05 PM

It seems like a great deal. I'd jump on it but I want to read some reviews on them first. Also the fact that they are not rebuildable is kind of a turn off.

Rally 01-03-2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFIbanez
It seems like a great deal. I'd jump on it but I want to read some reviews on them first. Also the fact that they are not rebuildable is kind of a turn off.

true but for the first year, a replacement is free. second year you get 60% off original price of the strut, then 40%...

RFIbanez 01-03-2006 10:13 PM

Off the whole system or will they just sell you the strut itself? That doesn't sound as bad then.

iDiaz 01-03-2006 10:15 PM

You really wanna change dampers out at least in axle pairs, so keep that in mind, as well.

Rally 01-03-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDiaz
You really wanna change dampers out at least in axle pairs, so keep that in mind, as well.

yah, i figured.

They let you order just the strut by itself....the price wasn't so bad:)

polyclef 01-10-2006 11:15 PM

I am adding these things to my list.