motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   xxTHIR13ENxx (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2192)

Slow Paul 02-10-2010 08:44 PM

I'm jealous man, very jealous.

Puma 02-10-2010 09:05 PM

Lookin' good mate! :tu:

xxTHIR13ENxx 02-11-2010 06:24 AM

Thanks guys! And Paul, don't be jealous, as your past troubles will soon catch up with me... Transmission is over 165K miles, it'll be a miracle if it doesn't break by Summer...

Also, I'm noticing a distinctive clunking noise from the passenger's front wheel when turning left. It's barely there if just turning, but if I'm accelerating, then you hear it quite clearly... I have 5mm spacers, and they seem to clear the struts just fine... Any ideas??

Thanks again, fellas.
Leo.

Sketch 02-11-2010 06:54 AM

Wow looks amazing Leo. Cannot wait to get lowered like that. Spacers make all the difference. :)

Slow Paul 02-11-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx (Post 563237)
Thanks guys! And Paul, don't be jealous, as your past troubles will soon catch up with me... Transmission is over 165K miles, it'll be a miracle if it doesn't break by Summer...

Also, I'm noticing a distinctive clunking noise from the passenger's front wheel when turning left. It's barely there if just turning, but if I'm accelerating, then you hear it quite clearly... I have 5mm spacers, and they seem to clear the struts just fine... Any ideas??

Thanks again, fellas.
Leo.

Leo, you have the highest miles on an original trans of any R50 I think. :P If anything it's due for replacement due to age.

Also, I too have a clunking from the front drivers side while turning right. This is with 3mm spacers. :nuts:

Puma 02-11-2010 06:16 PM

Wheel bearings?

xxTHIR13ENxx 02-11-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma (Post 563464)
Wheel bearings?

Ugh... There's the B-word again. I know it's possible, but mine were replaced not long ago. The whole thing was gone... That was about 6 months or so... I doubt the same part(s) broke again since there was no harsh driving...

We'll see..

Rally 02-11-2010 07:18 PM

Wheel bearings don't clunk as much as they "whuuuurrr" or drone/hum.

How are your CV's and CV boots?

Pobsey 02-11-2010 09:23 PM

CV joints go clunk...

xxTHIR13ENxx 02-11-2010 09:50 PM

Well, I don't really know, to be honest... How do I go about checking that? And I think when I had my wheel bearings done, they had to take care of the joints, too.

Either way I'd like to learn more about that. How do I check 'em??

Rally 02-11-2010 10:32 PM

I'm pretty sure "taking car of the joints" would mean buying all new axles so you would probably know if they addressed those.

First thing to do would be jack it up and make sure the cv boots on the axle aren't torn.

xxTHIR13ENxx 02-12-2010 05:59 AM

Yeah, Glen explained everything to me. The axles have not been changed since stock, so I'm sure the problem is there somewhere. I'm thinking about raising the front end a bit just to see if the noise goes away...

If it does, I'll slowly bring the car back down again... We'll see what happen. Breaking stuff now would suck bad...

Wake|MCS 02-13-2010 05:11 PM

Yo looking good man. The rear needs some more low though.

Curious, what are your alignment settings now?

xxTHIR13ENxx 02-13-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wake|MCS (Post 564094)
Yo looking good man. The rear needs some more low though.

Curious, what are your alignment settings now?

The rears are weird... They were perfect (slightly tucking) when I was working on the fronts. After I dropped the car, the rears had small gap. I figured it was the springs needing to settle back down again... The next day, it was back to perfect. Took it for an alignment, and now (after the camber being adjusted), I have 1/2" gap in the rears... I thought it would settle again, but didn't... I'm gonna be working on them this weekend.

Alignment settings are:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...ngs02_2010.jpg

What bothers me now are a few things:

1. Steering wheel used to be mad crooked to the right, now it's slightly crooked to the left.
2. Car still pulls a bit to the right.
3. I still have vibration (even after newer struts/coils, tires, new [proper] spacers, and alignment) at 60mph, but everything is smooth as silk above 75.

Any ideas what the last thing could be? The vibration part is what bugs me the most...

Thanks, guys.
Leo.

JohnnyVillan 02-14-2010 12:00 AM

My car is knocking in the front too man. I think it might be because of those damn endlinks.