motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Braking (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Which is the better low-dust alternative? EBC or Hawk? (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23672)

Sketch 10-25-2012 02:13 AM

Which is the better low-dust alternative? EBC or Hawk?

Tell me your thoughts! I am looking for something that is as 'low dust' as possible for a '12 MCS. More braking power is nice, but I am much more concerned about the brake dust amount being a daily driver. Which do you guys recommend? I have heard positives & negatives from both below... Or maybe there another alternative that I am not realizing?

EBC Red stuff?

Hawk Ceramics?

I know a few of you have had both. Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Bradley

ScottinBend 10-25-2012 03:54 PM

Go with the Cool Carbons from Bavarian .

I love mine. Much better than the Hawk pads and they out perform the EBC.

Partsman 10-25-2012 09:12 PM

When I was doing my hub conversion, I took apart my right front brake and the Hawk ceramics I had in there just fell apart. They were in there for a long time and needed to be replaced anyway.
Because I wanted to get my car back together, I ended up getting a set of pads from NAPA. It was their blue box pad, so far they have been awesome. They make pretty much no dust, and I've even had to jump on them a couple times and they have performed great. My car is a daily too, so I'll run just these instead of the more expensive pads.

I don't know if they have a listing for the R56 though.

Sketch 10-26-2012 09:51 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! Didnt think it would be this tough of a decision, there are so many options.

iwashmycar 10-26-2012 05:17 PM

I have found PowerStop pads dont dust much at all!. Really have been great on the heavy 'ol FJ.

Side story: I noticed a lot of the older XTerras have brown front wheels with BAD dust problems. I noticed our 03 doesn't whatsoever... turns out it too has PowerStop pads! Thanks previous owner guy...

EDIT: Bummer.... they do not seem to make any :(

Tit 10-28-2012 02:20 AM

We've had the hawks on our JCW for a few months. Happy with the dust levels. Initial bite isn't as good as stock, though...not sure how they are going to wear...

Mr Skurvy 10-28-2012 03:20 AM

Wasnt a fan of Hawk HPS at all... No bite on stock rotors and never could get the ABS to kick in no matter what.
EBC Green was better but took a touch of heat to bite.

Several folks have said carbotech but I have no experience as I decided that working brakes were a good thing and to wash the car more.

agokart 10-28-2012 03:49 PM

We like Hawks over EBC. it's all about the break in for long life and bit. and they are not Green.

Chad
Detroit Tuned.

rickyr53 10-29-2012 05:13 PM

Hawk Ceramics gets my vote. I've had them for a while and they have been great. Really low dust.

ScottinBend 10-29-2012 11:37 PM

I ran the Hawk HPS and HP+ and hated both. Never had so many issues with fading, either hot or cold. And I did bed both as per their instructions.

Sketch 10-31-2012 10:43 AM

Seems like my options are still really neck & neck! :(

Thanks for everyone's input so far! Really not sure what the best choice is....

MartijnGizmo 10-31-2012 06:18 PM

Just FYI: the Ferodo DS2500 I run in front produce less dus than the OEM-pads in the rear...

ShadowGLI 10-31-2012 06:54 PM

I used HAWK HPS on all 4 corners of my 2006 GLI, a good deal more bite than stock pads, brake dust was reasonable, and they were quiet. When I redo the A4 I plan to run them again. not sure what would/could be different for use on a MINI but for VW/AUDI, they are one of the most popular for daily use.

Sketch 11-01-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowGLI (Post 764197)
I used HAWK HPS on all 4 corners of my 2006 GLI, a good deal more bite than stock pads, brake dust was reasonable, and they were quiet. When I redo the A4 I plan to run them again. not sure what would/could be different for use on a MINI but for VW/AUDI, they are one of the most popular for daily use.

I was going to run them on my B7s when I was going to do Adam's Rotors all around, thanks for the input. :tu:

minsanity 11-01-2012 07:50 AM

Haven't tried those Hawks yet, but pretty content w/ EBC greens over stock.