motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tire & Wheel (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Rotiform Monoblock wheels: reviews/ opinions needed (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25778)

Puma 06-03-2015 06:28 PM

Rotiform Monoblock wheels: reviews/ opinions needed

Hi all,

After my experiences with Trouble the R50, I fully subscribe to Rally's mantra of "do it right the first time." That being said, I'm curious as to what experiences anyone has had with Rotiform Monoblock (1-piece cast) wheels.

If you've owned them, please post!

If you've heard things about them, please post and link me to your source!

I'm looking specifically at the BLQ in 19" for the R60, but haven't settled on suspension yet so I'm undecided on width. Of course, I'd love to go stupid wide, but I'm not gonna slam the R60 like I did the R50 - I need her to be drivable on really terrible San Francisco city streets, and will be using her off-road in vineyards and taking her to Tahoe in the winter (on different wheels and tires, but clearance is needed).

Thanks in advance! :tu:

Goal (this was a rush PS, but you get the idea):

http://i.imgur.com/hOkq3vE.jpg

Rally 06-03-2015 06:33 PM

Things have changed a bit since you were last around. Rotiform was bought up by MHT (manufacturer of many of the three-piece wheels in the US) so they are now a part of that company.

The quality of their new cast stuff is even better than their previous cast wheels...which were nice in their own right. They have tweaked the designs and altered the finishes to give an even more professional, high-quality feel to them. I like the ones that I've seen and they were just the samples before production.

I think a set of 19" BLQs would be a nice, reasonable move and they'll look great.

Samtrak 06-03-2015 06:49 PM

daaaayummm son!

Puma 06-03-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rally (Post 802571)
I think a set of 19" BLQs would be a nice, reasonable move and they'll look great.

That's great intel and even better news! Thank you!

I hate to even ask as it makes me feel lazy as hell, but would you recommend I opt for the 8.5s and call it a day?

Rally 06-03-2015 09:29 PM

8.5s always seem like a good option for MINIs...a little aggressive while still playing it safe.

With that said, I know nothing about the big minis so double check that they'll work.

Puma 06-04-2015 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rally (Post 802575)
With that said, I know nothing about the big minis so double check that they'll work.

Always. I appreciate the insight and advice!

Drew 06-04-2015 01:26 PM

Looks like you're heading down the right path! FYI, even TireRack says 19x8.5 et45 is the right fitment, so I would definitely go with either 8.5" or 9" since they play it safe on fitment. I feel like I've seen pictures of some 19x9" wheels that were pretty flush, but I don't recall where or the offsets... sorry! :laff:

Puma 06-04-2015 04:30 PM

All good! I'm really trying hard not to go down the same path I did with Trouble, since I'd likely end up voiding the extended warranty and maintenance packages I opted into. If I really wanted to let go, I'd put together an air ride setup to allow for both slammed and mild off-road driving heights, all kinds of goodies for camber plates, control arms, etc., stuffing 19x10s under some widened arches, and stance the f**k out of her! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), practicality is prevailing, and I'm just going with mild mods for the time being. Perhaps one day, a few years down the road, my ridiculous vision will come to fruition, but for now, the moderate look above is what I'm after. :tu:

Drew 06-04-2015 06:38 PM

There is nothing wrong with having different stages of a car build. You obviously plan on keeping it for awhile, so I'd say you're on the right path. Factory warranties and maintenance plans won't be voided by wheel/tire or suspension modifications, though they can cause specific failures to not be covered if they're related to the modifications. The aftermarket warranty is a different story. Most have the wording in the contract stating that any modification to the vehicle voids the warranty. It's rare for it to be a problem, but I've seen a case of slightly oversized wheels/tires voiding one in the past, so you'll want to look into that if you're concerned about the risk.

Puma 06-04-2015 11:30 PM

It arrived in the mail today, so I'll be reading it over this evening to see what's up. Thanks!

MartijnGizmo 06-05-2015 06:51 AM

Good to see you back in a MINI again! :)

Batrugger 06-06-2015 04:59 AM

I got Rotiforms on my Jetta last year. I never was a fan of their style, but my old BBS were trashed and I saw these. I got a good deal too.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/IMG_0655.jpg

Puma 06-06-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo (Post 802590)
Good to see you back in a MINI again! :)

Thanks! It's good to be back.

Batty - those give the Jetta a really classic look. I dig it! How'd you like them?

Chase 06-07-2015 01:41 AM

I think it will look solid on those

Batrugger 06-07-2015 02:31 AM

Really like them and no problems. I would have preferred the OEM BBS RC's that came on it, but they have become unobtainium for a good straight, clean set and at $1200 the price was nice.