motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Rulebook (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Foul language filters [now disabled] (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3771)

iDiaz 11-15-2006 11:59 PM

Foul language filters [now disabled]

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up and let you all know that we've enabled the foul language filters on the forums for a few select words. I know cussing is sometimes a necessary way to express strong emotions, but it's been getting out of hand lately, despite my requests to lots of people via PM to settle it down. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Fuck it. ;)

Louisxiii 11-16-2006 01:12 AM

Cheers iDiaz

Rally 11-16-2006 01:21 AM

well ****************************** :P :P

Bombardier 11-16-2006 01:28 AM

ha ha, oh well

etreu 11-16-2006 01:29 AM

good on ya mate,:tu:

chipgrafx 11-16-2006 02:44 AM

Can you make it replace the word? Like instead of f*ck, it would display freak, you know like when they do crappy dubs over cuss words when movies are shown on regular TV.

rawk 11-16-2006 03:00 AM

understood... :skull02:

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/fire.gif...sit around kids, why I remember when we could say anything on the internet...http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/old.gif

yup...fook, shat, and boob too!

TheWanderer 11-16-2006 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipgrafx
Can you make it replace the word? Like instead of f*ck, it would display freak, you know like when they crappy dubs over cuss words when movies are shown on regular TV.

That would be sweet. Exchange "boob" for f*ck.

glnr13 11-16-2006 04:25 AM

:D boob you! you boobing boob!

TheWanderer 11-16-2006 04:55 AM

Boob off, boobhead!

That is way too much fun. :disbelief

Shawnster 11-16-2006 11:46 PM

bull****

:thumbsdow Love this place, but censorship of any kind is lame. :thumbsdow

They are just words. People are to ****ING easily offended.

TheWanderer 11-17-2006 12:01 AM

I think legally the moderators have to have some sort of language filter in place. Internet forums fall under FCC guidelines. Now I believe if you need a password to access the forums it can be unfiltered. I'm not positive. I use to belong to a forum where the language filter could be turned off by members not sure exactly how it works though.

My 2 pennies.

Louisxiii 11-17-2006 12:03 AM

It's not censorship, its called being mature. Not for anything if u have to swear, you should be old enough to do this ****. From my experience arguments in threads are sometimes caused by swearing because we don't see you on the other side of the screen. So no kidding some people are going to be offended. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here but at some point in time it will get out of hand and being an administrator of a forum, it's his responsibility to control it and one way is to censor. Either that or he has to trust every member to do this ****...right, it never works because many people are stubborn.

I would think by now everyone should know what this means ****; it means the same thing no matter what.

iDiaz 11-17-2006 12:06 AM

I know how you feel, Shawnster. Unfortunately, we have some plans for the future of this site and having it full of foul language could compromise our ability to get support from vendors to keep this site alive and kickin'.

So far, the internet has not really been subjected to FCC decency guidelines (for the most part), so that's not really the reason. The main reason is that it has started to get a little out of hand, and although I know we all cuss at some time or another in person, we'd like to keep our options open when it comes to the future of the site.

Besides, I'm sure you know what I mean when I tell you to go **** yourself, censorship in place or not. :D ;)

iDiaz 11-17-2006 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisxiii
It's not censorship, its called being mature. Not for anything if u have to swear, you should be old enough to do this ****. From my experience arguments in threads are sometimes caused by swearing because we don't see you on the other side of the screen. So no kidding some people are going to be offended. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here but at some point in time it will get out of hand and being an administrator of a forum, it's his responsibility to control it and one way is to censor. Either that or he has to trust every member to do this ****...right, it never works because many people are stubborn.

I would think by now everyone should know what this means ****; it means the same thing no matter what.

Thanks, Louis! Yeah, believe me, I've done my share to try to keep it out of control by deleting overtly foul-mouthed posts and messaging users who take it too far. Inevitably, a lot of the same users disregard my request to cool it down, so I've grown weary of trying to control it in that way.