motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cornering (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   IE Camber Plates & Adjustable Rear Control Arms (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18823)

Izz 05-01-2010 08:20 PM

IE Camber Plates & Adjustable Rear Control Arms

Since I'll have my coilovers installed soon, I've been debating on whether to grab some m7 str plates or IE camber plates so I don't have to worry about any mushrooming. I'm currently on stock 16" wheels with 205/50's.

However, am I justified in worrying about mushrooming or should I bag those options for now and get some rear control arms instead?

glnr13 05-01-2010 11:16 PM

i think camber plates are better than just defender plates. they serve a purpose ALONG with theoretically better protection to the strut towers vs items that are specifically designed to prevent 'shrooming.

if you plan on going real low out the gate then you may or may not want the rear camber that comes along with the new geometry. im not sure what look you're going for, plus you might get more unwanted camber wear.

ideally you want to have camber plates and arms in so you can get the alignment right but if you don't right away it's not like the car's going to explode or anything. rfibanez ran slammed with no alignment for more than a year :P makes for a squirelly ride though so i don't recommend that. either item will require a proper alignment if installed after the coilover install so consider that into your cost too.

Izz 05-01-2010 11:44 PM

I do plan on going pretty low to begin with. That's what has me worried about possible mushrooming. My original plan was to install the coilovers, get an alignment, run around with some camber in the rear, and then get control arms later in the summer. I'm running stock wheels and tires so I really have no need for that much camber right now.

Then I got thinking about the strut towers and if my money would be better spent there. I'm just torn between worrying about mushrooming right now (buy the camber plates) or dialing out the rear camber first. Only real reason I'm asking is because I'm kind of on a budget and can't really afford both at the same time. Also, I'll probably be putting at most, 4k miles on the car this summer.

glnr13 05-02-2010 12:03 AM

so you DO plan on doing the slammed/poke/stretch/wheels look?
if so, i'd try to do adjustable camber plates. let the rear camber do what it wants and deal with that later.

the way i see it is, having adjustable camber up front you can dial in fitment and stance better than with the static -.5 camber as well as having protection for the strut towers and a little bit of added performance that most likely will not mean much for you especially if you get hellaflush, as the cool kids say these days :P

the concern for an alignment after is not only the camber but the toe will change which could be dangerous.

Izz 05-02-2010 12:18 AM

Yea, I plan on doing the whole stretch/slammed look. But realistically, that won't happen for a good 2 more years or so. My goal as of now is to run about -2 camber up front and maybe -1.5 out back (once I have control arms). Maybe 1/16" toe front and back? I'm not too familiar with toe settings. Just looking to be pretty low but still handle relatively well.

I know people say the race plates IE sells are loud as hell. What kind of noise are we talking? I'm assuming it'll be no problem and I can deal with it, but I'd just like to know what I'm getting into.

edit: found my answer about the plates. fwiw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justintime (Post 422500)
when your going slow and your turn the wheel it poppes and makes grinding kinda noises. in parking lots and such.. and when you hit bumps I wouldnt call it a rattle but close. just very noisy.

Are they seriously unbearable for a daily driver?

Flamez 05-03-2010 01:54 AM

Listen to Glen. Some great advice there. Camber plates do a better jobof stopping mushrooming strut towers anyway.

Izz 05-03-2010 02:01 AM

Now it's just a matter of deciding whether to go with the race plates or the street/track plates. I really like the fact that the race plates give an extra 1" of travel.

melissa 05-03-2010 03:25 AM

I have them both!

glnr13 05-03-2010 09:40 AM

in all honesty, go with stock toe, the MINI turn in is excellent in stock form. if you're counting fractions of a second in a competitive environment it's useful but from a daily driver standpoint, it just isnt enough to mean anything.

the IE race plates are noisy and they have no urethane. if/when i hit hard bumps with my plates sometimes it's bone jarring and they are pillowball, which is virtually the same as a spherical bearing. it's harsh for sure but not that bad.

Izz 05-03-2010 02:03 PM

I'm not sure what the stock toe settings are. 1/16" toe in, front and back?

So the race plates also add a "feel" along with the noise? I probably won't mind it too much, but is it harsh to the point where passengers will hate getting in my car? I appreciate the help glen.

minimyke 05-03-2010 07:10 PM

They arent unbearably loud. Its just a noise you learn to live with. Id rather hear that noise than bottom out my coils constantly for sure.(extra 1" of travel with IE race plates)

I dont think they give a worse "feel" than any MINI on entry level coilovers.

Izz 05-03-2010 07:24 PM

Thanks, I think that settles it then. Did the plates come with installation instructions by any chance? I'm not too familiar when it comes to camber plates.

Rally 05-03-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izz (Post 596040)
Thanks, I think that settles it then. Did the plates come with installation instructions by any chance? I'm not too familiar when it comes to camber plates.

Installation is too easy to need instructions. They just replace the upper OEM mount.

Izz 05-03-2010 08:44 PM

The spring seat and pad stay in place, correct?

Rally 05-03-2010 08:48 PM

Pad? You mean bushing? No.

Izz 05-03-2010 08:54 PM

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...027/layout.jpg

I'm talking 7 and 8. #8 is the "pad" I'm referring to.

Rally 05-03-2010 08:56 PM

Depends on the camber plate.

For Example, the TSW's remove that and replace it with their own.

Not sure how the IE race ones work. You probably keep them.

cooldaddy 05-03-2010 09:09 PM

I actually tried to swap my TSW's to the IE's the week before MOTD and bailed on it. I didn't realize that the IE uses the stock spring seat/pad which I had to dig up first, then it didn't fit together in a way that I found reliable/comfortable, and I think my Koni shock shaft (yes he said shaft) seemed just slightly too thick to fit through the IE. Anyway, I was already out of time after spending an hour or 2 trying to get the stupid nut (yes he said nut) off the strut so I called it a day. Might try again soon, I want more travel...

Izz 05-03-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldaddy (Post 596148)
I didn't realize that the IE uses the stock spring seat/pad which I had to dig up first.

Ok good to know. Now just to be completely sure, when you attempted installing them, did you have to reuse those two washers (5 and 6) as well?

cooldaddy 05-03-2010 09:25 PM

that wasn't clear. Also I didn't have Rally's nice little graphic handy. patience, hunger and lack of time got in the way of finishing it.

Izz 05-04-2010 11:20 PM

Ordered the plates :D

minimyke 05-05-2010 05:21 PM

awesome.

Izz 05-05-2010 05:26 PM

Myke, do you remember what oem parts you had to reuse when installing the plates?

minimyke 05-07-2010 05:58 PM

Im using 2.5" id springs on my Vmaxx so I didn't reuse anything on mine.

Izz 05-08-2010 11:01 PM

Aaaaannd another question. Once I get both the plates and coilovers in, I won't be able to get an alignment for a week or so. Is it too difficult to adjust the camber plates myself so that both sides are somewhat equal? Or will I have to cruise around with say -1 on one side and -2 on the other?

glnr13 05-08-2010 11:53 PM

you can try to square them up.

Rally 05-08-2010 11:54 PM

Shouldn't be hard to set them close enough to the same.

You worry about things too much :P Just do it.

cooldaddy 05-09-2010 03:22 AM

there is an iPhone app for that ;)

Izz 05-09-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rally (Post 598750)
You worry about things too much :P

Quoted for truth :P

When it comes to new stuff I just like to be a little educated before diving in.

glnr13 05-09-2010 04:06 AM

and sometimes you just have to be thrown into the deep end of the pool and start swimming already damnit :P

and listen to cooldaddy, use one of the iPhone apps that reads angles, it'll hold you over for the week.

Izz 05-09-2010 04:11 AM

If things go as planned, I'll be dipping my toes in this weekend :P

If only I had an iphone/itouch. The same app work on an itouch?

glnr13 05-09-2010 04:14 AM

yeah search for ruler, there's a few free ones out there

Rally 05-09-2010 04:15 AM

Yup. Works on itouch too. That's what I use.

But if you don't have one, it's certainly not worth buying one for this purpose :P Just set the top plates the same and you'll be fine.

Izz 05-09-2010 04:38 AM

Whoops, meant to say next weekend.

Thanks for the help guys. And the patience ;)

Izz 05-12-2010 11:50 PM

Camber plates came in today. When I got to messing around with them, I noticed that if I push both plates as far inwards as they can go, they're not even. Are they supposed to be like this or do I need to reassemble them?

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMGP3542-1.jpg

Rally 05-12-2010 11:52 PM

Could you flip them over and take a pic of them for me please?

They're not assembled correctly. Undo the adjustment bolts and make sure they match. It's done that way so you can get the max travel in both adjustments. The one on the right is the one you want to adjust I think.

not-so-rednwhitecooper 05-12-2010 11:57 PM

Damnit I need these things already.

Rally 05-12-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper (Post 600397)
Damnit I need these things already.

Wanna save on shipping? I may be ordering some too :P Looking at the promini ones too though....same style, $25 cheaper

Scratch that, stack height on the promini plates is too tall. IE it is I guess.

Izz 05-13-2010 12:03 AM

Yea, those were my thoughts. I took a picture anyway. Same orientation. Thanks rally.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/x...7/IMGP3573.jpg

Rally, either I read your post wrong or you just ninja edited it. :P Is it the left or right I need to adjust?

I'm thinking the left one only because I can actually get that backplate to poke off the top plate if I move it far enough to the right (in relation to the pic above).

Rally 05-18-2010 02:51 AM

I ninja edited cause I was wrong and looking at them backwards.

Looking at the last pic you posted, the one on the right would allow the most negative camber due to the orientation of the bolts.