motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   OTLounge (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Spotify (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21730)

Pir8 97 07-22-2011 12:13 PM

Spotify

Anyone using it yet? I'm trying it to see what all the fuss is about.

First impression is "meh." I really haven't spent time figuring out what it can do. I searched on an artist, but I have to manually choose each song. I'd rather click play and have it run through everything. I suppose you have to put your stuff in the Library for that to happen. I'm still on a free account and haven't figured out the limitations yet.

Gripe: DL'ed the Android app and it can't be moved to my SD card :thumbsdow Sorry but I just don't have room in my internal memory so I had to uninstall it.

risu 07-22-2011 02:57 PM

I got a free trial and checked it out with all the hype surrounding it. Kind of disappointed there is no web client and android client only streams if you have pro subscription, so kind of worthless. The desktop client was neat, basically iTunes layout, but I have their entire library at my fingers.

I've been using Pandora before and I like it. The only problem is, make a radio station based on a specific song, never actually hear that song. So at least with Spotify I can play songs on demand. I was mainly expecting music discovery though and was not happy there. Kept looking for a way to make an automatic playlist based on a song or band and couldn't figure out how to do that. If I just want to listen to a song I can usually find something on youtube and then decide if I want to buy it or not.

Conclusion: Not really seeing the point of the free service, and I'm not curious enough to pay for pro.

rjive 07-23-2011 04:33 AM

I have not really used it, however my wife has. She loves it. We've used Pandora over the last few years and she just raves about this. I have not had a chance to really play with it.

Would love to hear more of your opinions. I'd like to have this streaming on your smart phone device. That seems more useful for me. I understand that's available or going to available for a cost?

Pir8 97 07-23-2011 10:40 AM

To get the mobile you have to pay for the top-tier premium service which is $9.99/mo.

rjive 07-24-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pir8 97 (Post 697884)
To get the mobile you have to pay for the top-tier premium service which is $9.99/mo.

is it worth it?

Pir8 97 07-25-2011 01:46 AM

Dunno. I'm still on the free service. :)

thebestever 07-25-2011 02:55 AM

okay, i made my first playlist today and am thinking about paying for it to get it on my mobile.... it seems like i don't ever have to download anything again which is sweet. i haven't played around with it too much, but i would like it to have some sort of genius type thing.... which i haven't seen yet.

i dunno... mebbe by next paycheck i will have paid for it.

rkw 07-25-2011 06:56 AM

I love it. It's a dream come true that I can play music on demand that I don't own, and I can do this for free!

Spotify is like having an endless music collection but you have to choose what to listen to. It won't appeal to everybody. It takes more work than Pandora, which is like radio where you can passively have music presented to you.

Mog combines features of both and may be the best music service of all, but doesn't have a free option.

Pir8 97 07-26-2011 05:59 PM

You would think these guys would tailor their commercials based on the music the listener chooses. I've been listening to Bowling for Soup and Louis Prima but they keep playing these rap commercials. Seriously?

thebestever 07-26-2011 06:19 PM

hilarious... i was listening the other day and i got french commercials.

Jonshungry 07-28-2011 07:41 PM

Just started using the free version. Liking it so far :tu:

KiLO 07-28-2011 10:23 PM

Just got my invite... Gonna download the goods later tonight.

Pir8 97 07-29-2011 12:06 PM

It's getting better for me. I actually heard a commercial that I wanted to check out. Van Halen, baby! I'll think of an artist I like and create a playlist for them so I can run mix/repeat instead of clicking one song at a time. As I listen to it I'm clicking the favorites star beside certain songs. My goal is to get a bunch of these to make my main playlist from the favorites. I can make more playlists as I think of them. Its just going to take some time.

I do miss the control and flexibility of using my smartphone. My headphones have play controls that I use often when listening to Google Music on my phone. Not sure if Spotify's app will let me use those controls, but its not worth $10/month to find out.

thebestever 08-02-2011 04:47 PM

i just purchased the spotify premium account for $9.99/month. worked great this morning in my car, but apparently at my desk i get spotty 3g coverage. luckily my work is going to do public wifi soon so i will be able to hook into that.

i still need to spend time figuring this out tho, i have like a ton of playlists on my account right now that i don't want and some of them are only half full... i'll play around a little more tonight.

thebestever 08-03-2011 12:36 AM

so, i just found out how to find people not via facebook (which i really hope that spotify adds google plus soon)

enter this in the search bar to add me:

spotify:user:unicornstampede

and post up your username so i can add you!