motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Style (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Joey Mod how to ? (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6168)

goin440 05-03-2007 11:39 PM

Joey Mod how to ?

Is there a how to on this somewhere I'm not finding?

I may attemp this over the weekend and I don't want to be caught without everything I need.

Also, if anyone has experience taking the rears appart (Rally)...

:tu:

JacqtheShark 05-04-2007 12:09 AM

What's a Joey mod?

Slow Paul 05-04-2007 12:12 AM

There is one on here somewhere do a search for "Joey Mod"........sharky it's where the inside of the headlights is painted, like Brain's or Melissa's MINI to name a few

jC 05-04-2007 12:16 AM

from what I've read the gist is get the headlights apart, paint, heat to reactivate the glue and reassemble. The lack of detail for the opening step stems from the differences in the headlights among the years, in that the earlier models have glue and some sort of screws you have to cut through, the later models just glue. If you have a newer light, I'm pretty sure it's just 230 degrees for a few, pry, rinse and repeat. The older ones require more bravery, as you heat then try to cut them apart. I was contemplating it but it seems like a lot of work, though it does look great on the right color car. Good luck :)

melissa 05-04-2007 12:22 AM

there should be two threads all ready posted on here... some where

JacqtheShark 05-04-2007 12:55 AM

Oh... it looks cool - i've liked the ones I've seen.

Has anyone thought about doing the Aaron (from H Sport) mod? His lights are tinted yellow...looks cool - like leMans race car lights...bitchin'

jC 05-04-2007 01:05 AM

Ray and myself ran the Yellow Lamin-x a while back...lemme dig up a pic...

jC 05-04-2007 01:07 AM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...f/DSCN3713.jpg

I actually had a second set I tried to put back on last week, but it wasn't warm enough so I just got frustrated and scrapped it.

goin440 05-04-2007 01:19 AM

search on "joey mod" pulled 21 results w/ the view post option... none more detailed than whats been posted so far....

I do have a dec '02 build '03, but looking at swapping for the sexier late model. I haven't been successful yet to convince myself to go with the HID option... I don't care for the "star" surround.

Anybody know about getting the rears apart?

Pobsey 05-04-2007 04:42 PM

The rears you need a dremel and a cutting wheel, to cut around the seam between the lens and the black backing, dont cut all the way though, then use a flat screwdriver to pop the lens off te back, to re fix the lens use some bodyshop glue as used to fix bodykits and spoilers to car - make sure its black tho'

Pobsey 05-04-2007 04:45 PM

Oh I also did both my xenons (facelift model) and they came apart with no problem, no oven needed, just left them outside for 20min in the bright sunlight, so you guys in sunny SoCal should have no problem with that :D

goin440 05-05-2007 08:06 AM

HERE'S A WRITE UP ON MODDING THE REARS....

...click...

AZMCS 05-06-2007 07:05 AM

For the fronts, facelift version:
1-remove lights from car
2-remove al bulbs and igniters
3-remove headlight washers and covers
4-remove trim rings, this is actually the hardest part without breaking them.
5-Set oven to 230 degrees
6-heat on cookie sheet for 6 minutes
7-wearing gloves pry the lens off. Just work around the edges and it will slowly give, No tools needed
8-removechrome bits you want to paint
9-use tilt adjustment screws to aim HID as low as possible to be able to pop the chrome surround off the HID projectors
10-paint with regular old Krylon fusion in the color of your choice, Satin finish recommended here
11-allow to dry
12-reassemble
13-reheat to 230 for 6 minutes
14-press lens back on after making sure all finger prints are removed
15-re install bulbs, rings and back on car
16-re-aim the assemblies
17-enjoy!

sprp85 05-07-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZMCS (Post 149132)
For the fronts, facelift version:
1-remove lights from car
2-remove al bulbs and igniters
3-remove headlight washers and covers
4-remove trim rings, this is actually the hardest part without breaking them.
5-Set oven to 230 degrees
6-heat on cookie sheet for 6 minutes
7-wearing gloves pry the lens off. Just work around the edges and it will slowly give, No tools needed
8-removechrome bits you want to paint
9-use tilt adjustment screws to aim HID as low as possible to be able to pop the chrome surround off the HID projectors
10-paint with regular old Krylon fusion in the color of your choice, Satin finish recommended here
11-allow to dry
12-reassemble
13-reheat to 230 for 6 minutes
14-press lens back on after making sure all finger prints are removed
15-re install bulbs, rings and back on car
16-re-aim the assemblies
17-enjoy!

Thanks for summing up the process!
1) No need to prep the surface?
2) How do you re-aim ?
3) Is the paint name actually 'Krylon fusion' ?

Thanks AZ!

MrBattle 05-08-2007 10:24 AM

http://4x4icon.com/offroad/fender_flares/dsc04123.jpg