motoring|underground

motoring|underground (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkered Flag (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2013 LeMans/IMSA/ALMS (wait, I mean - GrandAm) thread (http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23992)

werD 01-28-2013 02:37 AM

2013 LeMans/IMSA/ALMS (wait, I mean - GrandAm) thread
 
The Rolex happened, gave us some good racing to kick off the year! :tu:

And LeMans is reporting 71 entries for this year's event - should be good!

Post up any news and noteworthy stuff for the year ahead here.

http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Im...59_Ferrari.jpg

werD 03-12-2013 06:15 PM

Wall planner is available for your prioritization of weekends (the to-do lists can wait):

http://www.spotterguides.com/2013-wall-planner/

http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-cont...2-1024x723.jpg

Massive 4000 pixel version here: http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-cont...er_2013_V2.jpg

werD 03-12-2013 06:18 PM

As is the spotter's guide for the Sebring race this weekend:

http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-cont...G-1024x662.jpg

iDiaz 03-12-2013 06:52 PM

Since my Flying Lizards dropped down to GTC this year, I'm rooting for Team Falken Porsche. Hell of a long shot, but I've gotta root for my SoCal team. For LMP1, it's McNish in the #2 Audi R18 E-Tron Quattro. :tu:

CHKMINI 03-12-2013 10:59 PM

The last year for ALMS and Grand Am races at Mid-Ohio which really sucks. How can these knumb-skulls take one of the best tracks in the country out of the schedule? It's time for the Australian V8 Supercars to come to the US!

Rally 03-12-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHKMINI (Post 776882)
The last year for ALMS and Grand Am races at Mid-Ohio which really sucks. How can these knumb-skulls take one of the best tracks in the country out of the schedule? It's time for the Australian V8 Supercars to come to the US!

You sure? I'm 99% sure ALMS won't be going to MidOhio this year.

Definitely sucks, though.

CHKMINI 03-12-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rally (Post 776886)
You sure? I'm 99% sure ALMS won't be going to MidOhio this year.

Definitely sucks, though.

ALMS is not going this year and it's the last year for Grand Am because of the "merger". V8 Supercars would be great at Mid-Ohio. Rally, as you know, Mid-Ohio is a staple for enthusiasts in and around Ohio. Thanks for pointing out my typo.

ScottinBend 03-12-2013 11:35 PM

42 entries for Sebring......and you wonder why the ALMS is in trouble. I am really looking forward to the merger.

werD 03-14-2013 03:18 AM

Bring on the Supercars! I'd make a trip back home to Mid-Ohio to watch them run.

Definitely a pisser to lose the ALMS at Mid-Ohio... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDiaz (Post 776857)
Since my Flying Lizards dropped down to GTC this year, I'm rooting for Team Falken Porsche. Hell of a long shot, but I've gotta root for my SoCal team. For LMP1, it's McNish in the #2 Audi R18 E-Tron Quattro. :tu:

Definitely Audi (short of something catastrophic happening). Sad to have just two 911 GT3 RSR running in GT. I suspect the Vettes will have a good run at the class before they attempt to switch to the C7. Viper is new, ditto for the Z4, and Ferrari is so-so. But mixing up the Vettes, 911, & Astons could prove interesting.

Rally 03-14-2013 04:21 AM

I bet the ferrari's do pretty well. I gather theyve been setting killer lap times in practice.

Naturally I'm rooting for the Z4s. They're new so it will be an uphill battle, but I think it'll help that they've been campaigning a somewhat similar car over in Europe.

Sadly we couldn't make it to Sebring :( I can't wait for Long Beach though!

And yes, more racing needs to happen at Mid-Ohio. It's a beautiful and iconic track.

justintime 03-14-2013 07:11 AM

I need to post some pics, I was hanging out with ryan in the pits but couldn't stay as I had to go tune for the lone star grand prix during the same weekend. lousy timing motorsports seems to have :/

Drew 03-14-2013 12:55 PM

I'm glad the Deltawing is making a return for another try. BMW and Porsche have always been two of my favorite brands, so I always find myself rooting for them.

iDiaz 03-14-2013 05:40 PM

I donno, RLL really knocked it out of the park right off the bat with the E92 M3 GT2, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were immediately competitive in the Z4.

Rally 03-14-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDiaz (Post 777137)
I donno, RLL really knocked it out of the park right off the bat with the E92 M3 GT2, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were immediately competitive in the Z4.

That's my thinking as well, but don't want to get my hopes up too much :P The drivers seem pretty confident in the cars and they do have the benefit of no longer dealing with the restrictions that had been placed on last year's M3s.

iDiaz 03-14-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rally (Post 777139)
That's my thinking as well, but don't want to get my hopes up too much :P The drivers seem pretty confident in the cars and they do have the benefit of no longer dealing with the restrictions that had been placed on last year's M3s.

Yeahman, we'll see if they manage to pull it off. Corvette still seems strong, though. I'd actually really like to see Viper come up hard. The last generation Vipers never got anywhere close to the podium, so it'd be nice to see them finally relive the GTS-era Oreca Viper domination of yesteryear, especially if it becomes a Corvette vs Viper rivalry.

http://i.imgur.com/4m1xr7i.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2005 motoring|underground, all rights reserved.