View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Update time...

Thought I best keep this thread upto date really, few lowering related battle scars and some new bits added (nothing major)....

A detached jacking point and torn underneath of side skirt....

Click the image to open in full size.

Split passenger size CV...

Both sides had gone, that cv grease is horrible stuff and sticks to everything. Their are now replaced with along with some roll centre adjuster spacers from Kav's Motorsport to fix some of the front roll...

This is the clearance on my wheels post trimming....

Definitely an improvement and more so in very fast corners. It does feel much flatter on turn in and seems to have balanced it out nicely. That intial front roll I noticed has definetly gone I'm really pleased by them! Much easier to follow my mates VX220 now Can't believe something so simple makes a big difference a flatter front end through a corner and more grip is a win.

Initially the steering didn't feel quite as precise but I do wonder if this is something to do with not having the offset bushes people have mentioned. It's still great though, so much fun. I didn't want to lose the chuckability of the car, and it hasn't, it's just improved I just really need a diff now. I love kicking the rear end on tight corners, yes not the fastest but my got does it make you smile! Excellent cost effective mod though, very pleased :thumbup:

Some pics of the a car up at my shop of choice...

Also found the source of the vibration I've been getting was not the just CV boot failure it was actually the 7075 "high strength" alloy nuts!!

Took them off and they were tight as a nuns arsehole, required a wheel brace throughout the whole thread! It was almost like they were cross threaded (but they weren't) and the front ones were actually what appears to be slightly deformed too, when undoing them I noticed an up and down rotation around the centre line. Took a lot of effort to get them off.

Anyway, fitted my rather expensive (but boring looking) high tensile steel lug nuts in their place and took it for a spin and the violent vibration under load had gone! I could still feel a vibration from what must have been the CV failure. I screwed them down to the wheel all by hand, and then torqued them to spec really smooth threads not like the ones I took off.

Anyway, happy indeed despite the set back. Heres the new ones, I went for black in the end as the lead time on lairy colours was 2-3 weeks....

....tbh, I'm glad I didn't wait for another colour as it was basically an accident waiting to happen. Anyone looking to go studs make sure you go steel nuts!

Thankfully, apart from the low speed vibration I've always had since it was lowered (and previously on springs) the car is now much smoother to drive!

Last edited by batou; 05-29-2011 at 02:22 AM..