View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You'll want to dial in your camber settings according to the tires you have on the car. If you have crap tires and run an aggressive camber setting the vehicle will handle worse than with a less aggressive setup. The reason being you want to set camber to where when cornering the outside tire will have full contact patch. This requires the tire being able to roll over to the rim of the sidewall, with camber that's too aggressive the tires won't have enough grip from the get-go to be able to roll over to the sidewall.

Another thing to think about is the variance of twin-tube and mono-tube setups. If you're going to see track days I would recommend monotube coilovers. If you're going to be doing autocross, from my experience with it it takes quite a bit of time (half an hour or so of waiting in line) to be able to do an autox run which only lasts 30-40 seconds at a time. The reason I say this is because on a track day the vehicle will see more time being driven aggressively than if you were to go to an autox event. Twin-tube coilovers heat up more quickly than monotube coilovers during aggressive driving, which is why KWs often have the external reservoir on the shock body. Monotube coilovers don't really need it because they don't heat up nearly as fast as twin tubes. When coilovers begin to heat up the damping becomes more and more inconsistent and will begin to hurt your lap times. I'm a performance oriented person so from that perspective I won't be buying any twin-tube coilovers. However, twin-tube coilovers have generally been looked at as offering more comfort for the street than when compared to monotubes. I'm not too sure about this as I haven't had a chance to drive a vehicle with twin-tube suspension on street, only on the track.

Another thing to know is that KW's full competition coilovers (3-way adjustable) are mono-tube in design.