View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default RKDE's Project blue

Been on here a while now, I rarely have the time to post but thought I would get around to uploading my project car. I did have a nice DS and Black JCW fully loaded and tuned prior to starting the project so I have been miniless for quite a while during the build and now I am starting to miss it now.

So my project, this can only be described as a dream for many years where I wanted to perform a roof chop on a new shaped mini. The only problem was I wouldn't chop a perfectly good car hence I decided to start with a slightly burnt example.

There will be lots missing and more information, links and more photos can be found on my blog www.rkde.blogspot.com

Click the image to open in full size.

The car was delivered to me on the back of a fork lift truck and dumped on the trailer, this did damage one of the control arms but that was all.

With the car home I started to remove all the burnt plastic and scrap parts

Engine came out ready for a re-build which should be interesting and will hopefully have some power

Fully pulled apart, well mostly. Just piles of mini bits everywhere round the house and garages

Support bars went in

Roof skin came off

First cuts and this is how low I am going 4" (100mm)

1st boot going on, I did make a couple others after this as I was just not happy with the way it worked or the height it opened

2nd boot

roll cage design and build, the deformation of the cage is scaled up to show the area of highest stress and not realistic to what would happen

roof being built, this is still a pain for me but I am getting there very slowly, shame I work so much else I may have been further along now - This will be replaced later with a carbon skin when I have time to make it

boot 3, this time I had an idea when I couldn't open the boot wide enough so I thought about a convertible boot...

Car came back home from my unit so I could spend some more time on it... though this isn't happening at the moment

While I have time I have been working on the engine as I have had enough of body work for the time being,

All the engine parts including a CM flywheel and clutch was balanced

engine build

So what is left? well there is loads of bodywork left still including many mods to make the car fast, lighter and a little different, still many months left on the project and I am doing everything myself and I am not in the trade but I am an engineer