View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
First thing's first, ease back on the swaybar. It's a crutch for what's lacking in the rest of your setup, and having your swaybar set that aggressively without focusing on the suspension as an entire system can have some dire consequences if you're not careful. Next up, focus on getting your car aligned properly. The setup you have might look cool and feel nice and tight, but it's probably really far off from optimal.

Most likely, the reason you're experiencing enough understeer to need to set your swaybar to full stiff is that you're lacking any means of adjusting camber up front. As others have said in this thread, get some front camber plates installed. I'm running the RDR/Helix, and I love 'em.

For the rear, you didn't mention having adjustable lower control arms, so you'll need these to bring your rear camber back to a more reasonable setting. I have the Ireland Engineering arms, and they've held up really well so far. You probably have excessive rear camber right now, which only exacerbates the understeering issue by making the rear-end grip a bit more tenaciously.

Once you've got those parts installed, get an alignment from a reputable performance shop. For starters, I would go with this setup for touge, for 17" wheels with 40-45 series tires:

Front:
Toe: 1/16 out (total)
Camber: -2.0 degrees

Rear:
Toe: 1/16 toe-in (total)
Camber: -1.75 degrees

Now that I mentioned it, what wheel and tire combo are you running? You'll have different alignment requirements depending on what tires you're using, as sidewall flex and available contact patch alter the optimal camber setting.

Regarding toe, there are more aggressive settings you could use, but I wouldn't advise it if you want to get decent mileage out of your tires, and maintain stability under braking and at highway speeds.

You'll be blown away by how much that -2 degrees of negative camber up front will help you out in the tightest corners. Your current setup probably starts understeering pretty easily no matter what you do in a tight corner, since you're basically just riding on the outside shoulder of the tire. Negative camber will allow you to use the entire contact patch, dialing out a ton of understeer in the tight stuff.

Once your alignment is set up properly, you can use that swaybar to fine-tune it to your driving style.

and thanks alot for this! very insightful. also, what is the ireland engeneering website? Ive looked but cant find it.. I was looking at the NON-adjustable front camber plates for price issues.. but I lost all my bookmarks