motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Bonnet Stripes... Warrantied Item???

Has anyone either had, or heard of someone who has had their bonnet stripes replaced under warranty? It's just an idea, but my swoop is hurtin'
I've got "spots" on my swoop that I can't get off with clay bar, goo-gone, cleaner wax or even WD-40 I'll try to post a pic if anyone's interested, but what I'm wondering is if it's normal, and if not... any chance that I won't have to pay to have it replaced? I'm still within warranty (23k miles and 15 months old).

Any advice / comments appreciated

Vorsprung durch Gas geben!!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 PM
μ

Good question....but I honestly think that MINI would deny warrenty coverage seeing has how you weren't using the MINI-Specific wash.... ......that is my prediction....FYI my stripes lasted about the same time as yours....
Old 05-24-2007, 08:47 PM
μ

I checked with service and the answer is no (that is not a manufacturer defect). If you want to buy a new stripe, we can put it on at the next mod party if you want to come up to Spring Hill. A couple of Steves are coming up from Hunt town.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 PM
μ

mine are trashed and im pulling them tonite. I'm not sure why but when they take rock chips they turn white where the rocks hit them.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
μ

so i go out to the garage to pull the stripes.

I peeled one corner up to see how it looks under the stripe compared to the rest of the hood...

noooooooooooot good. under the stripe looks pristine and perfect everywhere else looks cloudy and whatnot..

Is a clay bar going to fix the difference that I see now from the protected surface to unprotected. How much do you think it would have faded in a year and half?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:54 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

I'd have to actually see the paint but it shouldn't fade very much at all in a year and a half as long as you waxed every so often.

Clay might help. The purpose of clay is to remove contamination so the paint looks/feels new. So if the area that wasn't covered by the stripe hasn't been clayed in a while, it would help.

Regarding the spots on the stripes, try a light(emphasis on light) polish like ScratchX. Don't rub that hard but don't make love to it either. That should work to remove the spots.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:51 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post

I peeled one corner up to see how it looks under the stripe compared to the rest of the hood...

noooooooooooot good. under the stripe looks pristine and perfect everywhere else looks cloudy and whatnot..

Is a clay bar going to fix the difference that I see now from the protected surface to unprotected. How much do you think it would have faded in a year and half?
i would have to see it...but my bet would be a thorough wash and wax would get it matching again.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Leadership

Might try a good polish with an orbital first also.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Regarding the spots on the stripes, try a light(emphasis on light) polish like ScratchX. Don't rub that hard but don't make love to it either. That should work to remove the spots.
I've tried Scratch X (and ColorX) with no luck I rubbed hard enough to get just a little bit of color transfer, but no "Spot" removal
Heather took a look at them at the Dragon and thought that a ?paint cleaner? might have worked, but she doubted it (and we didn't get back together to try)

Thanks for all the input guys. I had kind of hoped (but doubted) that there was some kind of weather resistance clause in the warranty (stupid, I know ) but no worries. I think, once the Frau lets me spend $$$ again (the Dragon bill surprised her a bit ) I might just look into getting it replaced with one from Aesthetic Creations or Cooper Flags. They "SAY" they use higher quality vinyl

I'll take a pic this afternoon and post it up so y'all know what I'm talking about

Thanks again

Vorsprung durch Gas geben!!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to jC

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post

A full wax would probably help more, as said above. I had the same problem after stripe removal, once you get it all polished up even you should be fine.