Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsMotor View Post
What's the word on EBC Greenstuff Pads and Rotors? I was thinking about picking up a set of the Greenstuff pads to replace my dust monster OEM pads. I just got a catalog from Atlantic British and they are selling EBC greenstuff pads and rotors complete front and rear set for $399. The rotors say dimpled and look like drilled and slotted rotors. I'm not sure if they are drilled or not. Doesn't seem to be a bad price if they are not crap.
I have the rotors and pads on my crx and love them. they are dimpled not drilled

omgzz
Old 03-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
So is there a low dust, quiet, pad replacement that offers better than stock performance?
Hawk HPS (not HP+)
Old 03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've got to see how much my AC repair is going to cost me, but minimally I think I'm going to get a set of HPS pads.

FYI : Powerslot Rotors are on sale on TireRack and they have pretty good prices on their SS lines.

If I wanted to flush my brake fluid with upgraded fluid how much will I need?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Min - HPS set of pads

Otherwise
Hawk HPS Pads - Raceshopper $148 front and rear
ATE Super Blue - Raceshopper $10.75 liter
PowerSlot Rotors - TireRack $166 fronts
PowerSlot Rotors - TireRack $146 rears
Goodridge SS Lines - TireRack $108
Caliper Bushing - Detroit Tuned $120 front and rear

How's that sound?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
μ

I have the pads and rotors on the front...

Click the image to open in full size.

They are dimpled and slotted. I don't think they are loud. There is a distinct zzzzzzzzzzzzzz you can hear with the windows down, but I believe you'll hear that on any dimpled/drilled/slotted/etc. rotor.

I can say the pads are cleaner and everything bites better than stock. I don't have experience with higher end pads so I defer to Ivan and the others on that. I drove an S over the weekend with stock brakes and noticed a huge reduction in stopping power over my setup. Its worth mentioning that I also have SS brake lines which make a difference too.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just when I thought I'd made up my mind. At some point there was a formula change on the EBC pads, but I have not been able to find out when it was. A lot of people seem happy with their EBCs. For those of you that were unhappy with the EBCs on the old formula? $400 for EBC pads and rotors or $460 for HPS pads and PowerSlot rotors?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:35 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

+1 for the Hawks, HP+ or HPS are hard to beat (pick the best option to suit your priorities in the stopping vs. dust dilemma).

I actually used the Akebono pads up front on my MCS this time around and they seem pretty nice. Much like the Hawks, they work at a slightly higher temp range which can be a little unnerving when scooting around in town (WTF!?!?! I have nooooooooo grippppppppp until they get temp!).

Not sure about the newer EBC stuff, in the past I wouldn't put them on anything- poor performance and inconsistent results.

Fluid? I'd still recommend getting three cans just in case you encounter any trouble bleeding. Better to have a bit spare vs. being a lot short...

PowerSlot rotors are doing great too. Not much noise unless I'm pounding on the car (then you get the expected grrrrrrrr from the slots working the pads).
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM
μ

Quote:
or $460 for HPS pads and PowerSlot rotors?
...........do it up!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:06 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Just when I thought I'd made up my mind. At some point there was a formula change on the EBC pads, but I have not been able to find out when it was. A lot of people seem happy with their EBCs. For those of you that were unhappy with the EBCs on the old formula? $400 for EBC pads and rotors or $460 for HPS pads and PowerSlot rotors?
Do the Hawk/PowerSlot. The EBC's gave me nothing over stock pads.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:26 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Next best thing is Hawk HP+. In my opinion, they provide 90% of the braking performance of the Ferodo DS2500, at a considerable discount. The only downfall with these is that they squeal like stuck pigs sometimes, so don't even think about buying them if you don't like watching pedestrians curl into a fetal position as you come to a stop. To give you an idea of how loud they are, I've been sitting in the back room at my house watching TV, and I know when Paul (Bruiser) rolls up when I think to myself, "Why is there a city bus stopping in front of my house?"

The next set of brake pads I buy will be Hawk HP+, most likely. For the price, you can't beat 'em.
Sounds perfect, thanks for the great comparison. I'm pretty unhappy with the stockers, experiencing a lot of brake fade on the more spirited drives. In fact, a friend of mine with a POS Impreza running Hawks seems in much better shape at the end of the day on our runs. But I'm also wondering about the life you / others are getting out of the HP+s? (I'm sitting at 23k miles and still have gobs of brake to go through on the stock pads. )
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to jC

I just ordered the EBC Rotors and Pads, my stockers lasted 42K with no warning light yet.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:59 PM
OG Bitches

That's interesting. I have 26k on the car. The rears were replaced about 4k ago. The fronts were replaced at about 16k. Maybe it's my driving style.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffC View Post
I just ordered the EBC Rotors and Pads, my stockers lasted 42K with no warning light yet.
Where'd you get em? I need to replace my rears.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to jC

I went through moss, but a bunch of the aftermarket sites have 'em. Nice thing about moss now is they have some giveaway deal where you get something free depending on the price bracket you spend it...I got a K&N drop in filter for free, which is good cuz I haven't changed mine a looong time.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
The rotors say dimpled and look like drilled and slotted rotors. .

I swapped out my fronts rotors and pads for the ECB's and they are dimpled ( just drilled into the surface not all the way through, they they *shouldn't* crack like cross-drilled.

They do make an *odd* little sound for quite a while when new and another sound when you apply them... they seem to work quite well.

That does sound like a pretty good price for the kit !
pads front and back cost me 170 CDN and the rotors were 119 each for the front... i think ? ( it's been a year )

my 2 cents.