motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well, bad news all.

The motor finally faded on me and it's going to be a few months until I'll have enough for the rebuild. (Going all out so I'm looking in the neighbor hood of 6-7k)

Here's the way it went, couple of weeks back I noticed a "very slight" miss or flutter if you will in the exhaust note when the car was idling, it was barely noticable and started right around the time I was trying to find the right point for the Nitrous WOT pedal wiring, and in that process the Management Units dumped some fuel into the I/C so I assumed that the miss was from this, just thought it over fueled a couple of time @ start uo & I fouled a plug or two, because the car seemed to run just fine, just sounded a little off at idle and it wasn't wanting to fire off on the first try when it was warm

Well apparently it was more serious, I spent all of last week doing your basic trouble shooting, plugs, wires stuff like that. Plugs did help, but not for long. So when it started acting up again I pulled the plugs & did a compression check & #1 was really low, so without pulling it apart I'm figuring I burnt a valve there somehow, the reason I say this is that nothing else seems amiss, still didn't make any noise or pass any oil by the rings from what I can tell, as far as I can tell the Crank & bearings are just fine, no noise, no drop in oil pressure, nothing.

So, I know some of you are thinking, why not just re-do the head & go with it, honestly, it would prob. just be what I think would be a very temporary fix & not worth the effort, here's why.

When I parked the car it had 211,975 on it, and even though we did rings & rod bearings at 80,000, all we did was a bead clean on the cylinder walls nothing more, so all the tollerences & clearances were still factory spec.. So back when I was still playing with my Cam issues and only using the 70mm pulley (basiclly this time last year at about 185,000) I had run a compression test and while it was considerably lower than it should be (125 ft/lb across the deck) everything was still working well enough, so I just went for it. (This, and early tuning issues was why I never posted my actual dyno #'s from the the Sprintex project, the #'s were lower than they would have been with proper compression & I didn't want the Peanut Gallery jumping on the band wagon & blaming the S/C, hell all things considering, compression & all I was really happy with 221whp on a DynoJet, (64mm pulley) but I just didn't want to deal with it/them) Anyway, now with 211,000 even though #1 is shot and down to 60 ft/lbs the rest are all down to 110 ft/lbs, there just plain ole Wore Out, the wild thing is, as I said earlier, even at that from what I can see, there still not passing oil, these damn motors really are put together well! And even with it the way it is, the damn thing would still break the tires loose @ 3500 in first gear, just by standing on it, it did it just before I parked it...

Oh, almost forgot...NO, I never even got to spray it once!, really sucked, the final parts arrived Mon. the last day I drove the car....:argh: I just wish I didn't need this block for the rebuild, I'd clean the plugs & Shoot it with a 250 shot just to see what happens... But no use crying about it now, and it might even be a blessing, would have really sucked having this happen right after a couple of sprays & thinking that the Nitrous was to blame, at least now I know it had nothing to do with it and am not affraid of using it on the new motor.

And it would have really sucked having this happen @ MOTD and having to get the car 500 miles back to the house. BTW, I'll still be there, Cooking Supplies, Giant Mug & all, not missing it car or not.

Thats about it, new motor will be built specificlly for Big Boost & The Bottle, I'll keep everything updated as it progresses but will prob. be sometime in June, Between the built short block & new head, it's just going to take a while to get the funds together, I'm in the process of getting a new DD right now to save me money on my everyday commute so hopefully everything will go according to plan.

Later all, any questions, fire away, I'm defenitely not going anywhere, I love this stuff!

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 04-20-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Oh, and as a side note to all of this, I was looking forward to also seeing how long my original clutch would last, but there's no way I'm putting it back together without a new one.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Noone likes roadblocks like this. But, you knew all along you were on borrowed time milking that motor out. The good: now you have no other reason not to start what you initially planned to do. Keep us posted, Blwn!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Post a picture of the DD!!!

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I put it in recent purchases thread but here it is, got a good deal & the mpg will help me in saving for the new motor.

Click the image to open in full size.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I can already feel the loss of the Mini, the new one, you just get in and go, the Mini, you get in and "Drive!".
I started the Mini to move it to it's "parking spot", really sucked, damn thing fired right up, even though you could tell there was something wrong, was all I could do, not to try & take it down the road.

Tear down should start right around the begining of June, wanna pull the top off to inspect the head and get ready to sell it, havn't really decided if I'm going to do the whole swap myself or not, basiclly I think it will boil down to how quickly the funding goes more than anything, but time will also be a big factor, I just don't have time during the week & don't know for sure what my w/e's will be filled with by then. This is gonna be a long summer if things don't go right.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Bummer. Be patient & persevere!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
µ Leadership

get ready bud. The build process is awesome and poopy at the same time haha
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Awsome & Poopy, just the way I.....Oh Crap, this is the "foreverWeb" isn't it.....nevermind.

It'll actually be better once it's apart & won't start & run anymore.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well, it's been a year and MOTD is here, so I figure I should give an update, our lack of, if you Will.

Life ended up getting in the way of my rebuild, (yes Chase, you win, I guess I owe you a beer or something. . ) I had to move by this summer and basically have put every penny away for the down payment on a house, so between no extra funds, knowing that the car has to be portable and not wanting to chance misplacing parts, I've left it mostly intact, it's at the point just before pulling the head.

I'm under contract on my new place, (still no garage, but it has a carport that can easily be enclosed if I need to) and set to close the day after I return from MOTD, with work it'll take me about a month to get moved and settled, after that is done I can let myself get back to my obsession, so progress should resume some time in June.
(Pic's and description of the new place will follow right after closing, (I love the new place and there's no way I'm risking a jinx with premature anything) over in the recent purchases thread.)

See you all in Fontana.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 04-23-2014 at 06:08 AM..
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Oh, LIFE, it happens at the most untimely moments. Spent a year extremely patient looking out for Bolo updates......
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM
µ Leadership

I was wondering what was up Mark. I am sorry to hear that its taking longer than expected, but that is just how it goes sometimes haha. I mean hey, look at me haha.

Please come find me at the Dragon man!!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Haa, Haa, you just want to collect on that beer... I'll be around starting Thurs. morning, I'll find you.

Still have my passion for it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, growing up sucks, but on the bright side I'll have a couple of extra bedrooms for any visitors that may wander by on the StL stop of MTTS...

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just don't ever extinguish that passion. Bolo, like Buddy, must resurrect!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm Baaack, holy Crap it's been two years, I hate it when life interferes with your hobbies....

Anyway, I'm settled into the new house enough and I'm putting any new equipment for the Theatre on hold for a while, so back to the car.

Finally had decent enough weather to get something done over the weekend (I still only have a carport, so weather was still a factor up until a couple of weekends ago) pulled the Head, 2 burnt valves but everything else with it looks just fine, going to clean it up and sell it as is, basically just needing a valve job.
The cylinders themselves look unbelievably good for having 212k on them, not a scratch or mar on them, if I hadn't done the compression test I'd never believe anything was wrong with them at all.
Here's a couple of pics....Gee, can't imagine why #1 & #4 were lower than the rest...

All goes well I'll have the motor out and ready to send off for its rebuild, next weekend. Unfortunately there's no way I'll be done for the Dragon, but I'd rather get it right than rush too much, not to mention the extra funds involved for other goodies besides the motor itself.

But I'm not bitter....