motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Swift Springs for R53

Saw this on FB

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
The Spec R springs for the Mini! This is the final product guys, lots of R&D which took years to complete but its finally here. Already in the middle of production and will be here shortly. A little less than an inch drop, exact details will be posted on our website shortly.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I need this so bad. i cant wait for some specs.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Swift is good stuff. We swapped Swifts for the stock springs on the Cross coils and really felt a noticable improvement

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Something else that Swift said on the picture post that might be of interest.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Eric: Good eye! those tires are 215/45/17. With the stock setup you are looking at about 3mm more wheel gap. Also it may look like it but the tires are not tucking, just in case some of you are looking to be slammed. These springs lower the car just a hair less than an inch all around.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I will bet these springs with the right shock are a great ride on the street and track. Once my TSW springs fail, I will look at these again
Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Looks like the perfect ride height. I wonder when these will be available?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

Interesting. First set of springs I've seen that don't have reverse rake.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
The lowered height should take set immediately. We did a lot of research on this and I will give out the details that I have.

So the car dropped about 3/4 of an inch all around. Damn I forgot the numbers off the top of my head. I currently happen to be running on a slightly taller sidewall than what the mini is supposed to be running.

Anyways so as it sits the shock is about a little less than a quarter of an inch before the bumpstop. The bumpstop on the mini however is extremely interesting. The first quarter of an inch of the bumpstop is at zero rate. In fact if you pull off the front bumpstop, you will see that the first parts of it is completely hollow and you can compress it with you fingers. So the first .4in is at zero rate. I will put up the graph later but the next .6 inch is a linear rate of 150lbs. and then it progresses from here. This is where we had a really hard time fine tuning the spring. They pretty much did all the testing and research on their end and I was the final test dummy.

The way they came up with all the specs for the lowering spring is extremely descriptive. And they have a reason for everything they did to construct the lowering spring from the coil count to the drop height. They even made it so that the natural progression of the spring hits before the bumpstop hits infinite and matched the rear rates with it.

What was said to me is that they designed these springs to make the vehicle feel completely neutral even though the rate bias of the rear is slightly stiffer, but the bumpstop on the fronts evens out the rates. This in turn lets the driver fully tune the suspension to their liking starting with the lowering springs.

Anyways as for how they feel on the car. Before installing the lowering springs I ran the stock setup for about 2 weeks. I then installed the springs, drove it around for about a week or 2 and then went to the track, and then drove 2 sessions and then swapped back to my coilovers and ran another 2 sessions. I am currently back on my coilovers.

My street impressions is that they are just as comfortable as stock, except when you go through really big dips or humps. You really feel the stiffer rates. But through normal driving they are really smooth. The car of course feels much more planted and the steering response also increased a good amount.

On the track in my opinion they did an extremely good job on the springs, in fact as of right now with these lowering springs without any suspension tuning on my part, these springs are just a hair off my time with coilovers. I dont know if this simply means that these springs are pretty damn good. Or that my coilover setup on my car is trash. LOL. Im kidding, my coilovers are setup for r-compounds, and I did a direct comparison on street tires (Falken Ziex 502). But never the less the point Im trying to make is that these springs are plenty to be competitive at the track, and with a few mods and a decent driver these springs will give any vehicle with much more money spent on it, a run for their money. Turn-in on the car is extremely responsive, and is very neutral through the mid corner. It feels really safe through the entire course, no float and no extreme under or oversteer.

Now understand that these springs are not just lowering springs. They are not made to slam the car. These are an actual suspension upgrade. They designed these springs around the stock shocks but upgraded shocks are always something worth looking into. The testing I have done so far is on the stock R53 shocks and it feels fine.
source: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...74-post57.html
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Bringing this one back...anyone running these on the forum? If so, how do you like them?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrout2000 View Post
Bringing this one back...anyone running these on the forum? If so, how do you like them?
I'm running them. I have them paired up with Koni yellows, and the rake stance is pretty bad ass, but I wish it were about half an inch lower. But to be honest I do scrape on modest inclines. I do get compliments from other mini owners about it. It probably would be better (gap wise) when I get my R98's put on.

The ride is pretty rough at first, even at full soft, but if you can tolerate the first 20k miles, it mellows out (the shocks do I think). I run my tires at 37 psi though, and I've been told that's a little high for Conti DWS.

It handles like it's on rails though, simply amazing. I don't regret my choice unless I'm on a really shitty road. But I also can't handle going slower than 30 mph.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

This is good to hear! Do you have any current pictures of the setup? Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that these were a linear rate spring. Are they progressive?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrout2000 View Post
This is good to hear! Do you have any current pictures of the setup? Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that these were a linear rate spring. Are they progressive?
I'm at work right now so the only pics that show the gap are these, I can probably find more when I get home later today. Or take some specific ones if you want. I'm sitting on factory 16" wheels with factory sized Conti DWS tires (whatever size they are).

alignment.jpg

img_0816.jpg

img_1263.jpg

I don't know much about springs so all I know is what the manufacturer tells me. As far as I remember they are linear, and they are pretty stiff riding, but I would say that they are comparable to JCW R53 springs on OEM non-JCW shocks. The Koni's were less soft and more hard than I expected, I can only imagine how rough the non-adjustable Bilsteins would have been; however one of the vendors says his swift/bilsteins set up is comfy.

Either the shocks softened up a bit over really rough 20k miles (half the roads I drive on are older than half the US, haha), or I just got used to it. It really is worth the discomfort when I hit a smooth patch of road though.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for the pictures! I wouldn't mind seeing a few more shots if you have some laying around. BTW, love the aero kit add on
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm on them and oem sport shocks, got about 30k on them. Still waiting on some used yellows to come up for sale. The handling is dramayically better than stock and the stance is just what I was looking for
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The day I put them on

A month or two later

I'll try and get better pics today