motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 AM
μ

Default Windows 7

I know I'm asking a predominantly Mac crowd about Windows 7, but.... I'm on a Windows Machine. I want to run a Unix system some time, but I have too many programs that would have compatibility issues.

So, with that said...

I'm on Windows XP right now. Vista is tEh lame, so that's not gonna happen. I can get Windows 7 for $30 soo.. I'll be buying it anyway. haha. Just wondering if anyone has any issues with it.

Here's my current setup

IBM Thinkpad T60

32-bit processor
Intel Core Duo T2500 @2.00GHz processor

1gig of DDR2 ram

I could list a lot more details, but yeah.. that's it for now.

Main questions. Can I run the 64bit version of Windows 7 on my 32bit processor? I'm about 95% sure I cant' but no one seems to be able to answer this straight forward with me. lol

Thanks for any help and advice, guys.

Last edited by MtyMous; 02-11-2010 at 07:20 AM..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
μ

Negative.

Reqts on the side of the box say "1GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor - 1GB RAM (32-bit)/ 2 GB RAM (64-bit) "

Sorry dude. That being said I just installed 7 (64-bit) after having a bunch of issues with XP and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

MS has a nice little tool that will scan your box and let you know what passes and fails for Win7

1GB RAM is not enough, running 6GB here and really want more cause I some of the stuff I leaks memory or id bad at giving it back after being closed.

So much has been said by so many people who know so little about whatís going on, that itís truly breathtaking to contemplate. Peter M. De Lorenzo

Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
μ

Funny you mention that, I'm running 3 GB now and was thinking out going out and getting a 4GB stick today. Why the hell not, RAM is cheap now.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

RAM is cheap till you price the 4GB sticks. Not the 2x2GB but the single 4GB sticks. I so want to buy 2 to replace the 2x1GB I have now to bring me 12GB total incl the 2x2GB I have as well.

So much has been said by so many people who know so little about whatís going on, that itís truly breathtaking to contemplate. Peter M. De Lorenzo

Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i run the 32-bit version on 2g of memory and am looking to add a bit more memory. great OS compared to the vista version that I was running prior to this.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No real sense running 64 bit anyways if you are <4gb, no? Doesn't whatever version you buy contain both anyways?

7 has been great to me so far, but then I didn't really have a problem with vista either. I was a late adopter to vista so I didn't get jaded on their failed launch.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
μ

Hmm. I'll have to look into the diagnostic tool they have to tell me if it'll run.

I REALLY want 64-bit because I REALLY want 8gigs of ram. lol .I have things I want to do and this 1 gig isn't cutting it. And if I'm gonna buy 4 gigs of ram. well... I might as well just buy 8. I realize there is a price jump, but it's worth it IMO.

That's the REAL reason for wanting 64-bit. That, and even if I have 4 gigs on 32-bit, it's really no more than 3.5 even on the best days because of hardware allocations.

Oh well. I guess I'll just buy it for now and go with the 32-bit version, and when I get the money to buy a nice 64x processor, I'll just re-install the 64-bit version. I can do that, can't I?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i have win7 ultimate which is TMFW its awesome you can switch to xp mode if you want just in case a program doesnt work with your win7 OS....very smooth and fast...and no problems
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtyMous View Post
Oh well. I guess I'll just buy it for now and go with the 32-bit version, and when I get the money to buy a nice 64x processor, I'll just re-install the 64-bit version. I can do that, can't I?
Yep, the program comes with a 32-bit disc and 64-bit disc.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
μ

Hmm. Well I spent all last night backing up and whatnot. Just in case. Because my maching is bogging for no reason lately. I'm not using my full gig most of the time. hmmmm.

I'm ready to just go all out with this. haha. Can't wait to get some Airforce paychecks.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Location: in a secret bunker deep underground creating evil mods for my MINI

I got 7 Ultimate bout a month ago & am loving it. waay better than Vista, though i really never had a problem with it.

Tags
cameron is awesome, classic mini, windows 7