motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

It's rare that I get super pumped about a movie, but this movie is downright EPIC. Truly impressive feat of cinematography. I can't wait for the 3d stuff to become commonplace
Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

this is now on my top 3 greatest movies everrr list

omgzz
Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just saw it Christmas day. What's weird is that even though the story was a little light and kinda predictable, somehow the whole product was much more than the sum of all its parts. Easily the most impressive sci-fi movie in years. I was also amazed at how well they executed on 3d... I half expected some cheesy "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" 3d effects but instead they used it to add an unprecedented amount of visual depth to the film, which is part of what adds up to make this such an amazing film. Only downside, maybe, is that to really enjoy it when it comes out on video you would almost need a 3d projector, blu-ray, and insane surround sound.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Samtrak

finally saw it! in china nonetheless! fukin amazing. it was in english with chinese subtitles. the only confusing part was when they were speaking native tounge in the movie.. the subtitles were in chinese.. i thought how come the chinese get to know what they are saying, but i dont?

then i realized in america they probably have english subtitles for that part too.... ha.

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1990 R32 GTR sedan
1986 Toyota Van
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
DD Slugbut the WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Saw it last night in 3D with low expectation. What a stunning movie. Yes it's a little cliche, but holy schmidt, it's visually the most amazing thing on media I've seen. I'm still trying to supress the dorky hollywood touches, like the fact that the natives had to cover thier brests with sexy South Beach Bimini tops. Who knew lizards nursed their babies in space??? Nonetheless, big ups for that James Cameron.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Saw it last weekend in 3D. Stunning visuals, but there is no drama or complexity in the characters or story. The good characters are completely good and the evil characters are completely evil. For example, (I'll try to word this so it doesn't spoil anything) the end would have been far more interesting if the character couldn't complete the transformation and got stuck halfway.

The ultimate measure for me is whether I want to watch it again, and the answer is no. Avatar reminds me of an animated film my daughter liked called Spirit, about horses and native Americans who overcome the more powerful and advanced invaders building their railroad. Well, we all know the final outcome from history and we also know how the story will ultimately end on the planet Pandora.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Sorry to necro an old thread. Saw it for the first time a few weeks ago (First time in a theater in 10 years or so I think).

Anyhow, for some reason am completely compelled to keep going back to see it.

I don't think the plot issues or "depth of characters" ever bothered me. I'm up to my 5th viewing at IMAX and I'm simply content to be lost in the attention to detail of something that doesn't actually exist but that is such a scope and scale that is mind boggling.

I do get caught up in some of the emotional aspects of the movie but that's no more or less than the effect that a well done Evanescence video would have. Good music and compelling visuals (The destruction of home tree etc).

Anyhow, amazing work in my opinion