motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD
Question Random - ever break your ankle before?

So I was hiking and busted up my right ankle (dislocated, broke the two bones at the base of my calf, and a third break on back side of ankle).

On crutches until around December when they extract the screw holding a tendon in place. Good times!

Curious to see if anybody else has suffered similar damage and what the recovery was like - what was the best thing you did to get your foot & leg back in shape?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to not-so-rednwhitecooper

Never broken but i've had problems with my right ankle ever since I got it pinned between a car and a van about 5 years ago (Make sure you always have a functioning neutral safety switch). There was a hairline fracture but the doctor told me there was nothing the could do other than a sports bandage and ice.

All it takes is twisting it just slightly wrong and it get sprained and I have to wrap and ice it for a few days before I can put weight on it again. About 3 weeks ago I stepped into a hole in the floor at work and just my heel dropped into it. It was just enough for it to swell up to a golf ball in less than a day.

I can't imaging how much worse it would be if I had actually done some serious damage like you have, Hopefully you'll be able to heal up.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Leadership

Send a message via AIM to thebestever

that sounds awful. drew, i can't even imagine what i would do if i were you!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM
μ

nothing as bad as yours, but I did snap all the bones behind the toes (all five phalanges) going up to the ankle while I was in the Navy; spent about a month on crutches, walking cast after that; sucked goatballs and my foot still aches every now again to this day..

had to be careful for about 6 months on how I placed my foot when walking or anything or it hurt, a lot/ other than that, there really wasn't anything else for it

good luck, do all the PT they suggest, (it hurts, but works in the long run), gonna have to be careful probably the rest of your life with it

Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

i broke my tibia at the ball (in the joint) and it was a fracture. The fracture was 6" long up the middle of the bone. Initial attempt to compress the bone took 4 ginormous orderlies and my leg in a sling and they shot it up with some numbing stuff.

After that ordeal they xrayed and it still had a 1/8" gap at the ball and it was still split up about 2 1/2" so the doctor gave me 2 options: surgery which required 6 screws and an 8" plate that wrapped around the ball or leave it alone and suffer a long and painful recovery that may not close up properly. I took the surgery.

I was 20 so I healed quicker than nowadays. It was about 8 weeks in the cast. My foot did not want to turn in a few directions, it felt like my muscles had limiters and it hurt like a mofo when I turned certain angles. Physical thereapist recommended drawing out the alphabet in the air with my foot, otherwise there was nothing they could do since they said the goal was to fix the break and be able to walk along with knowing it would not be back to normal after the surgery.

So I did the alphabet dozens of times every fucking day since I wanted to skate again... Took me almost a year before I could give a full sprint. At six months I could jog lightly but only for a few minutes. Oh and swimming, i would hold on to the edge of the pool and just kick for a while.

17 years later i can skate, run, jump, kick a 100lb bag without any pain. I can make it click when the screw pops out of the socket.
The metal plate predicts the weather now and sets off metal detectors.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

I also now have some titanium in my ankle, with Frankenstein-ish scars up both sides... Just in time for Halloween!

Appreciate the feedback - that gives some perspective for sure and helps me set some goals I think. Have my second follow-up visit tomorrow to assess how everything is progressing and to make plans for continuing care.

Hopefully all goes well and I can be back on the trails before too long, albeit with a bit more caution. No desire to replicate this incident at all!

Tags
ankle, broken, man down, painful