motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Coilover options

I'm looking into getting a set of coilovers. I don't track the car, I'm just looking for a nicely stanced street setup. Something that handles well, but is still pretty low.

So far my options are:

tsw kw v1's
tsw kw v2's
kw v1's
kw v2's
cross

I would like to just go with cross coils, but the fact that I'm only driving on the street doesn't justify that kind of cost for me. So those may be out of the picture.

Now with kw, there are a few choices here. Is there a significant difference between regular kw's and the tsw kw's? My other question is, would it be worth it for me to just get a set of v2's? I know the v2's add in adjustability, but I don't know if that feature is crucial for what I'm doing. I mean I want my car to handle well, but is the extra cost of v2's worth it?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Sorry I never got back to you on a PM. This is better anyways.

My vote is KW v1. Like you said, you don't track the car so I'm not sure you need to pay the extra $400 for the TSW versions. The normal KW's handle great for a street setup.

My guess is that unless you start going to autocrosses every week or hitting the track, you'd only adjust the v2's 2 or 3 times the first week and then never again. I don't think the adjustability is necessary for a street car. The damping setting is set pretty nicely (by professionals) for the V1's so it rides well.

Cross are great coilovers, they're just really expensive for a street car. A bit overkill IMO.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM
µ Leadership

Send a message via AIM to thebestever

i've been reading up on coils as well recently in hopes of getting some soon. i am street only as well and so far it looks like the kw 1's are the front runner for me.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Sorry I never got back to you on a PM. This is better anyways.

My vote is KW v1. Like you said, you don't track the car so I'm not sure you need to pay the extra $400 for the TSW versions. The normal KW's handle great for a street setup.

My guess is that unless you start going to autocrosses every week or hitting the track, you'd only adjust the v2's 2 or 3 times the first week and then never again. I don't think the adjustability is necessary for a street car. The damping setting is set pretty nicely (by professionals) for the V1's so it rides well.

Cross are great coilovers, they're just really expensive for a street car. A bit overkill IMO.
It's no problem man. I figured I get more opinions through a thread anyway.

But yea I'd say I'm definitely leaning towards the v1's. I'm pretty sure Konky runs v1's? Hopefully he can chime in with some opinions.

You said the TSW's are about $400 more. The lowest price I've found v1's at was about $1150. Is there a site I don't know about?

Now when it comes to camber plates and control arms, will I need those as soon I get the coilovers? Or should I just worry about those once I start running aggressive fitment wheels and tires?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

control arms can come later. camber plates are optional but certainly have more advantages than disadvantages once you have them.

i run pss9's and my statement here isnt to sway you into adding that to you list, just another opinion.
i havent autox'd much this year but last year it was awesome to have adjustable damping control. when you have it you DO use it a lot. you learn more about how the car handles with a little experimentation and it's nice to be able to dial it up or down in stiffness. our little cars are very sensitive to these fine adjustments. i like to be able to run full soft for daily then when i go to the autox i crank it up. it's a nice option. is it a necessity? no, but i'm glad i have it.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm definitely willing to spend the extra money for the adjustable damping control. So it's pretty much between the v1's and v2's.

However, I don't know how much i would actually use it. It would be fun testing out different settings and all, but the thing is, I most likely won't autox or track my car at all. I treat my car more like a daily driver/show car than a autox/track car.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

You can sometimes find v1's for 990 , 1000, or around there when companies have their KW sales. The Sales happen pretty often, so keep an eye out.

I know I've had 3 different suspensions (koni yellows, megans, current custom setup) with damping control and almost never used them after I got them dialed in. It's just a personal thing. I'm sure some people still play around with it between daily commutes and twisty runs.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

yeah, if you don't plan on running any driving events there's really no need for the damping control
Old 09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

A couple more things. I'm currently running the stock 16" R90's with a pretty high offset I'm assuming. Will I need to get spacers to avoid possibly hitting the front springs on the v1's?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but v1's give enough drop to be almost undriveable right? I just want to have enough wiggle room for future setups and stuff.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 AM
µ Leadership

If you dont plan on tracking the car why not go with V-maxx coilovers?

Dont get me wrong KW's are the win win, but why spend the extra $400 if you are just going for stance mainly?

just a thought.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For some reason I can't get my head around paying $600 for coilovers. I'm sure they're decent quality, it's just my mindset is always "you get what you pay for."
Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

^^+1 on that option.

I have V1's. They're pretty awesome. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Honestly, the only bad thing I've heard about the VMaxx is that they don't come with instructions and that the damping isn't really adjusted for track.

PS - if wait for the right time you can find VMaxx on sale for around $400.

Last edited by Moxie; 09-19-2009 at 01:38 AM..
Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I probably should have more specific in my first post. I'm actually looking for a balance between stance and increased handling.

I not sure why, but I just don't know if I can spend only $600 on the VMaxx coils. I'm sure the reviews have been great, I'm just skeptical.

The other issue is I've been pretty much set of KW for a while now. I just wanted some opinions on the different options between them.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Well, if you're dead set on the KW's and you're not going to track the car, then V1's are the way to go. The ride and handling are great. No need for damper adjustments (which can be kind of a chore).
Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Just my $0.02...

I don't know how low you are looking to go with your suspension, but remember you may want, or need, to install the adjustable lower rear control arms and/or front camber plates to bring your camber back to normal to prevent excessive tire wear. The wider the tires, the more wear you will see on the inside edges without the adjustment.

I've also read that the front and/or rear swaybar links may need to be replaced with adjustable ones after installing coilovers, since the suspension geometry has changed.

Yeah, I'm also debating what direction to go with my R56. The TSW KW 2 coilovers look great, but by the time you also buy adjustable camber plates, you're not too far off from the CROSS setup.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
Tom