motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Sounds to me like it's more a personal driver issue then I scraped and hit things constantly but couldn't have cared less. I found driving to be relaxing and enjoyable.
Hahaha, might be. I mean it was fun and all.. but not as fun as it is using all the power my car has under it without scraping constantly or worrying about hitting things at high rate of speed haha.

And I was going through v-bands on my downpipe weekly and a few oil pans haha. There are some roads in LA I wont even go down when I am slammed cause its so rutted i would just scrape the underneath of my car the whole way down the road.

Like santa monica blvd.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
I giggled when I hit stuff that had no business being hit by a bumper.
Same, unless it's a squirrel. Then I cry a little inside.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM
μ

that's taking it too far for my tastes, but at least it's well executed.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonshungry View Post
Same, unless it's a squirrel. Then I cry a little inside.
i had a raccoon desimate my R53 one night. The only tear that was shed was my eyes watering from cleaning it out of my car
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I love the fact he trying to mix the whole oni camber style into the MINI been waiting for some one to do would love to know how he got that much front camber though must be using custom camber plates as didnt know the ones on the market could go that far.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

oni camber is just dumb.

it should just stay in the jdm scene where it belongs.

I would love to see that car try turn at a high rate of speed or in a canyon..
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
μ

my guess is that it wasn't built to turn at a high rate of speed or carve canyons
Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted_r56 View Post
I would love to see that car try turn at a high rate of speed or in a canyon..
That argument is one of the most retarded ones that plagues the car scene.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
That argument is one of the most retarded ones that plagues the car scene.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree....
That car lacks the ability to do anything of excitement except drive slow and scrape on things.. just seems a little juvenile.

But what do i know, my car sits in a shop more than my driveway. ha.

Form can be had with function. Removing functionality to such an extent seems pointless. I get when people do it to cars that have 0 performance aspect to them to begin with.. but i guess to each their own.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
μ

Quote:
That car lacks the ability to do anything of excitement except drive slow and scrape on things.. just seems a little juvenile.
Maybe to your limited definition of excitement...for those of us with more open minds, we can see how either end of the spectrum could be exciting. Cars like that are meant to be shown off at events, gawked at in parking lots, cruised down streets....all of which can be incredibly exciting. I have an absolute blast taking our stance cars out to shows, bullshitting with friends, scraping on roads, and shooting photos of my ride.

If you want to talk about juvenile, it's an inability to open your mind to multiple definitions and/or means of fun. I, for one, spend time with super-stance cars as well as insane race cars. I think it's ignorant to feel like you have to pick a side and tell the other side that they're stupid or immature for liking the things they do. Car enthusiasm isn't mutually exclusive. You're allowed to like Oni Camber and racecars at the same time. You don't have to be like all the idiots out there and pick a team in a stupid war of form versus function.....you're allowed to love ALL cars.

Quote:
Form can be had with function.
Yup....and that's a two way street.

Quote:
Removing functionality to such an extent seems pointless.
Again, I hate this notion. He didn't remove functionality. The car still starts and still drives. It functions as a show car. It functions as something to sit and enjoy looking at. I'm sure it still gets him from point A to point B. It still functions. What he removed was performance ability....and perhaps he didn't care about the performance ability.

People said that about my clubman non-stop. I drove that thing all over. Was it a race car? Absolutely not. Did it still function as I needed it to? Absolutely. It did everything I personally asked of it.

Quote:
I get when people do it to cars that have 0 performance aspect to them to begin with..
You mean like if it was a FWD economy hatchback with a 1.6L engine that puts out less than 200HP? It's not like he dialed in Oni Camber into a Porsche GT3 RS.....he owns a MINI. While it does handle like a fun little go cart, the MINI's number 1 priority was certainly not track performance. The MINI designers sought to create a cute, retro little hatchback that was small and good on gas mileage while still offering a car that was "fun" and "quirky" to drive around town.

I love MINIs with all my heart and I know they handle really well....I'm just not silly enough to think that the sole purpose or function of a MINI is supposed to be racecar performance. MINIs were designed to be fun. Who are you to tell others how they're SUPPOSED to have fun?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I can recognize that everything i said is completely opinion and obviously I am not out to sway or change anyone's mind. Just putting in my opinion on it. I can also admit I am very close minded with what i feel is right or wrong with cars and what kind of cars and styles i give respect or props too. And thats just who I am.

the MINI track argument is one we could go at for days. I know a few minis holding lap time records in their race classes and plenty with podium finishes.

Guess I have been hanging out on the RMW forums a little too much. I would also argue that MINIs are one of the best handling FWD cars on the market today.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
μ

Quote:
I can recognize that everything i said is completely opinion and obviously I am not out to sway or change anyone's mind. Just putting in my opinion on it. I can also admit I am very close minded with what i feel is right or wrong with cars and what kind of cars and styles i give respect or props too. And thats just who I am.
To me, having this notion of "right and wrong" is more juvenile than enjoying a low car. I'll admit to being overly opinionated while I was younger (as many here know )....but eventually you realize that it's ridiculous to think someone could be "wrong" about liking something. That's like thinking someone is "wrong" for liking vanilla ice cream simply because you like chocolate ice cream.

Quote:
the MINI track argument is one we could go at for days. I know a few minis holding lap time records in their race classes and plenty with podium finishes.
The presence of a few cars in designated classes isn't enough to label a car as a "track" oriented car to me. There are people out there racing anything you can imagine. That's the purpose of classes....to allow people to be competitive in cars that would otherwise not be competitive.

You put a track-prepped MINI up against a track prepped E92 M3 (same driver, same conditions) and we'll see which car handles the track better.

Quote:
I would also argue that MINIs are one of the best handling FWD cars on the market today.
That is kinda like saying your child is one of the smartest kids in his remedial class. FWD is not a performance-devoted setup. Sure, you can make it handle well.....but it's not the ideal for racing.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
μ

Quote:
For the sake of examples.....here's a Yugo race car. I bet it did decently well in whatever mild class it was in. The existence of this car and other Yugo race cars does not mean that the Yugo was developed with track function in mind.

(side note: I think this is badass as well. I think the fact that people enjoy their cars in whatever way their heart compels them is great and it usually results in a car that makes me think "hah, that's cool!")

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

I still want to find a yugo cabrio
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Guess I have been hanging out on the RMW forums a little too much.
Don't do that.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"