motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Lineup Bringing you the sexiest rides team µ has to offer...

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > The Lineup

Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 PM
μ

Yeah. Honestly.. I bought a flaring tool and it's SO much easier than everyone makes it seem. Get a couple extra pieces of pipe and practice flaring. Once you've done a couple it's simple. I'm going to do my fuel line, too.

If I had to do it over again I'd just buy 30-40ft of hard line, and all the fittings I needed. I like the idea that these steel lines will likely outlast the rest of the car.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to not-so-rednwhitecooper

The NiCop line that they sell now makes it a million times easier to make your own lines. No bender required and they'll never rust.

I put stainless lines on the Roadrunner and my dad put stainless on his Charger and it was a fucking nightmare to bend them. Pre-bent lines never seem to fit since every body is a little bit different. Even at the dealership, there are very few pre-bent lines for brand new cars.

I used a Craftsman flare tool for years before I bought a Mastercool hyraulic flare tool and never looked back. No more fighting with that clamp and die set under the car. Just pump with one hand and you get perfect flares every time. http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html They run about $300 on Amazon.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:47 AM
μ

Finished up making my own steel lines. PVF coated and should last until I die.

So to celebrate that experience being over... Here's some status pictures.

There she be. I'm really digging the brushed look with the paint. And the performance parts next to all that. Can't wait to get some wheels and tires under it... then a motor... then an interior. haha

Click the image to open in full size.

Some of the leftover fittings that I'll keep around... just in case.

And my favorite image of the bunch.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:19 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

So awesome - I feel like you need to box this thing up and take it to the ring

omgzz
Old 10-17-2014, 02:26 PM
μ

I want to race it once it's done and tuned up. We'll see what kind of events though. I don't want to pull an Eric Bana and wreck my newly rebuilt pride and joy. But I definitely want to use all of the gear I'm putting into it.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:01 PM
μ

!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 PM
μ

Very cool, its coming together nicely . Its best not to rush and make it the way you really want to fist time . People ask me how long it took to get my mini to where it is and I say 12 years and counting
On a side note its amazing to see how small those front rotors are yet they are overkill for the car in question. Keep up to great work and I really like that color selection.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 AM
μ

Thanks. It's really hard to go this slow with this kind of build because I already know what I want. But the nice thing about going slow I notice small things or details but I want to change, replace, or upgrade. The whole brushed metal look was something that just came to me one night as I was sitting in the garage. Now it's a major part of the entire theme of the car. There are many other small subtle details that I have changed on the car, but I would say 90 percent of people will never see it. That's okay though, because I know it was done and more importantly I know it was done correctly. The good news is that I finally have my new computer and my new camera so I can start taking more pictures and posting them more regularly.

thanks for all of the encouragement guys. It means a lot.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:06 AM
μ

Bought a whole bunch of parts, but they are all the boring maintenance type parts. Seals and things like that. I'm trying to get the car back on wheels then jumping into the engine work that needs to happen. I know I'm gonna have a couple grand into the engine, so I'm just sort of buying my time until I can get it all done.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:03 AM
μ

Boring parts came in today. Just seals and some small bits. But I did have to snag one of these monsters.

If you get the hubs I got, or you find another way to run Metro Ball Joints, then you'll need a 1-13/16 deep impact socket. Grenade optional.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
μ

For a sec I thought that it was a small grenade :-)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 PM
μ

Full size grenade. Lol.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:03 AM
μ

Currently poor because life happened. Trying to buy another big lot of parts this month.

But to bridge the gap, here's what I've been day dreaming about for a while.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 AM
µ Leadership

oh hell yea man, that would be awesome. You have been dreaming of supercharging for years
Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 AM
μ

Yeah, dude. I've just started talking to Jon from Podifold. He's active on TMF. He's running the same injection kit through his setup. He's engineered the whole thing to be as close to a bolt on as possible. Still a lot of components, but would be awesome. Definitely not happening right now, but it's something to keep in my pocket for a future fun upgrade when I get bored. I'd have to change compression ratios to make it happen, though. Or just run really low boost.

Tags
classic, mini, modern, restoration, tink