motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to NikiMae31
Default Engine Light

So I've had my 07 MCS for about a year now. It has about 75k miles. When I bought it there was an issue with the fuel pump because it had sat at the dealership for so long. The dealership I bought it from sent it to Mini Peabody, did an oil change, flushed the fuel lines and replaced the fuel pump.

Yesterday my boyfriend noticed it was idling funny. Just reving a little but not at the same time, just a louder idle than normal. When we were driving we noticed a little hesitation from the car as if we were in the wrong gear, but the RPM were about 30-35. I checked the oil and noticed it was a little low (not even a half quart.) I topped it off then it seemed fine the rest of the way home.
Today we were out driving, the hesitation was back along with the loud idle. On the way home one of the engine lights came on. I looked it up in the book and it was the one with the half-full engine. I figured it just misfired for some reason because the engine light shut off after about a minute. Further on down the road, another engine light flashed on and stayed on, but it was the light that looked "empty." When we were off the high way going up a hill my boyfriend had the gad to the floor only going about 35, engine light was on constantly. Once we got to the top of the hill it was fine and it had power back to the engine. When we got home I opened the hood and noticed very little oil on the top of the engine near the plugs. I looked under the car and there was very little oil at the bottom of the engine.
I'm figuring the problem (even though it is a big one) is that the engine is leaking oil somewhere. Any other ideas?
These are the lights that were on at the end of the trip.
Light in the speedo:
Click the image to open in full size.
Light in the tach:
Click the image to open in full size.

In the Manual that symbol is listed as:
Lamp flashes- Engine malfunction under high load. High engine load with result in damage to catalytic converter.-- You can continue on your journey, but moderate your speed and exercise due caution. Have the vehicle checked without delay.
Lamp comes on- Engine malfunction with adverse effect on exhaust emissions. -- You can continue on your journey but moderate your speed and exercise due caution. Have the car checked as soon as possible.

Do you think this is something that I can put oil into the car to run it so I can get it looked at or should I have it towed?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Leadership

Doesn't sound like an oil issue to me. I'd suspect that fuel pump again, but no good way to tell from your description that I know. I'd give your service department a call ASAP.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I just got off the phone with my Dad, and he said the same thing. He said to try with the fuel filter first. I'm hoping that it will be that easy. My heart stopped for a couple minutes worried about how much $$$ it would be. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I just got back from VIP to get my codes pulled for this before I start spending money on parts. The guy said there was 11 codes, but they were all related. The main code was "P0300" cylinder misfire. The other codes were P0302, P0303 and P0304 for cylinders 2, 3 and 4 misfiring respectively. The guy said it might be my plugs or the coil pack. What do you think? Could it be misfiring because of that or because it is still the fuel filter and it isn't getting any gas?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiMae31 View Post
I just got back from VIP to get my codes pulled for this before I start spending money on parts. The guy said there was 11 codes, but they were all related. The main code was "P0300" cylinder misfire. The other codes were P0302, P0303 and P0304 for cylinders 2, 3 and 4 misfiring respectively. The guy said it might be my plugs or the coil pack. What do you think? Could it be misfiring because of that or because it is still the fuel filter and it isn't getting any gas?
I'd suspect the high pressure fuel pump & not the filter, but it could be several things. Try shooting a PM to Drew or Brain. They may have some better insight.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm so confused on this. The fuel pump was replaced a year ago, I hope that it wouldn't die in a year. I have some people saying its plugs/ignition coils but others are saying fuel pump/filter. I wish I didn't live so far from mechanics that know MINIs. bla!