motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to NikiMae31
Default Ignition Coil?

Ok. So this has been an ongoing issue with my R56. My CEL came on a bit ago, along with it having no power and idling very roughly. I had the codes pulled and it said all 3 of the cylinders were misfiring. I figured I'd start with the easiest thing to replace, the spark plugs, because the car is at 75k anyways. So I took it to a mechanic (I don't have the right socket to pull the plugs) on Saturday and had all 4 replaced. 3 of the plugs had normal wear and tear on them, but one of them was missing the firing pin (the little thing at the end of the plug.) So we figured that it was what was causing the misfiring. I took it on a test drive and the car was like new. He reset the codes and said the light might come back on, but it is just because the car computer is still resetting itself. The light came on later that night, but was still running fine so I just figured that was what the problem was. Sunday the car was still running fine, but the light was still on. This morning I start it to head to work, and the car is back to the way it was before, no umph, idling loud and rough, and it studders a little while I'm driving it. I called the mecanic and he said it could be 1 of three things. One of the plugs is faulty, that an ignition coil died after working so hard with everything misfiring, or the little piece that was missing from one of the old plugs is in the cylinder.
I'm planning on getting the codes pulled again to see if there is a new problem, but any thoughts? If it is the ignition coil, how hard are they to replace yourself?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

cooper or cooper s if its an s it probaly needs injectors thats a huge problem were seeing at the deal also the high presure pump and are you expercing this more in the moring when its cold or just normal driving
Mods: Stubby Antenna, Alta Intake, Alta Catback, Alta Hot Side Boost Tube, Functional hood Scoop, Scangauge II, 22mm Alta Rear Sway Bar, KW Variant 1 Coilovers, CravenSpeed Adjustable Short Shifter, NM-Engineering Torque Arm Insert, S.P.E.C. Stage 2.5 Clutch and Pressure Plate

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3376604
Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to NikiMae31

I got all the ignition coils tested on this, along with the spark plugs replaced. I heard about the HPFP being under an extended warranty for MCS and recalled for the MC. Is there any way that this may be what is going on? I have the stuttering while I'm normal driving..
Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

If you haven't had the high pressure fuel pump replaced yet, I would start with that. Have them do the plugs again if need be, and a de-carbon procedure.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

i just replaced my plugs yesterday. hope these pics help. easiest thing ever to do.

just use a 14mm 12pt deep socket or a 15mm 6pt.. viola

This is the ignition coil....You just lift the front of the little tab upand towards the windshield... the wire then pops off (kind of automatically as the tab pushes it off)
Then you just pull upward with a little force. easy

Click the image to open in full size.

i used a magnet to fish them out since i had no foam in the socket... also used it to place them back down the hole with a screwdriver to hold them while I pulled the magnet off

45k miles. Gap was at something like 0.02750 on both the new and old, so I didnt have to touch that