motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
μ

Default Armstrong to be stripped of titles...

Sad day.

Last edited by Bombardier; 09-26-2013 at 04:51 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Its really sad.. but i'll still remember him as one of the best athletes ever.
and as a person that really knew what he wanted to ride what kind of bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ph6Gd2Cg4gc
Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM
μ

That sounds to me that he's not saying he's guilty, just saying he's tired of trying to prove his innocence and holding those titles isn't worth it to him.
-G
Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
It also means he will be barred for life from competing, coaching or having any official role with any Olympic sport or other sport that follows the World Anti-Doping Code. “It’s a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes,” Travis Tygart, chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, said. “It’s yet another heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all-costs culture, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition.”
Wow... That is one hell of a scorched earth policy.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I doubt it will happen because USADA really has no authority over this whole thing but, we will see in the near future.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM
μ

sad day? depends on how you look at it. I've read enough to see that he probably did dope, he just has more means to work around the system. never failed a test? not true. signs of manipulation? yes, documented by blood & doping experts. Caught? Never. I'll admit, I don't like Lance, I think he's another arrogant competitive person and I generally can't stand those, so yes that means I can't have a impartial opinion about it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:31 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Im still impressed with him regardless of how history will tell the story. Amazing dude.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

http://qkme.me/3qm34s
Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff View Post
That sounds to me that he's not saying he's guilty, just saying he's tired of trying to prove his innocence and holding those titles isn't worth it to him.
That is certainly what he wants everybody to think.

I've felt torn about the whole thing. Even back in the 1980's when I first became a cycling enthusiast, it was widely known that doping was rampant in the sport. For decades, everybody accepted it and turned a blind eye. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is in fact guilty, but on the other hand it seems unfair to be singled out if almost everybody is doing it.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Very sad to see this happen. Lance might be another 'arrogant' super athlete but he still did some amazing things most of us could not. Ultimately it is not a level playing field anymore because of these athletes doping, but at the same time, if you where the only one not doing it, who has the upper/lower hand then? Lot's of these guys dope, more than anyone is reporting. Personally I think he is guilty of doping...

but I feel for him, the public humility and distress he has to deal with now will not be easy.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Definitely sad all around.

Don't know him personally, but in reading books about him, I have a lot of respect for him. His arrogance knew no bounds in his early years, and was tame but still significant later in life. The record of his fight with cancer is inspiring and impressive, and I think that arrogance was what got him through.

If he did dope, that's disappointing.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
μ

The media is erroneously reporting that he has already been stripped of his Tour wins which is simply not true. USADA does not have the authority to do this. This is a decision that the UCI will make and I am not entirely convinced they will decide to strip him of the wins. It has been stated numerous times that the UCI and USA Cycling do not support the actions of USADA in this case.

He may be arrogant but I think he's earned it, at least a little bit. The man survived testicular cancer that had spread through his lungs and brain. He was given a less than 50% chance to live yet he went on to beat the cancer, become one of the top endurance athletes of recent history (all time?) and start a family.

This story is most likely far from over. There is talk that the UCI may step in and perhaps continue the fight on Lance's behalf. There is also talk of various lawsuits and other legal battles against USADA. And there are still at least three other individuals that USADA is going after that will be taking their cases to arbitration. This will be interesting as it may expose whatever evidence USADA claims to have against Lance.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

I think prosecuting him will do more harm for cycling than good, especially here in the states.

If you can ride for all those years, be tested more than any other rider, and still pass every test while dirty, then that means that every single rider can be dirty, so why aren't they going back through ALL their samples?

I guess because they aren't Lance.

For me, about the only credible thing that USWADA has is a supposed statement from George Hincapie, who I regard as a pretty credible guy. But then again, I regarded Floyd Landis as a pretty credible guy.

Who knows...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 AM
μ

you guys really need to read some articles about blood doping and blood passports and how you can get around things and not test positive. how without a real positive one can still pinpoint cheating. that's what's going on here. these other guys that got caught, they did it for years and only got caught once. Denial denial denial and then finally the truth comes out. I'm hoping to see the evidence the USADA has, not the he said, she said testimonials, no the data that is already out there and what I refer to.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

So then why does it take them 13 years to figure it out? I mean if you can pinpoint it without a positive test, do it at the time, not 13 years later. And if they just now got around to testing that blood, what's the chain of custody like? Would it hold up in any other court for any other crime?

I'm so old I remember when people were innocent until proven guilty.