motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Mister Wiggles | Thread of knowledge (yours)

I've been reading up on here and NAM for a couple of months now. I have a general idea of the mods I'm looking to do, but need a bit more info from the more experienced members. I'll be updated the thread from time to time with questions and pregression pics.

A little background info. I'm coming from an e46 3-series BMW. Here it is in its latest.
Click the image to open in full size.

new canvas 2003 MCS

Suspension
I like DUMPT!
pss9, megan, k-sport, kw, JIC cross. where can i find vendors or websites that carry these? Which ones offer the lowest drop/comfort?

Exterior
More than likely, I will be going with the Aero kit. Besides the dealership, where can i find the kit?
  1. For those who have blacked out door handles, gas cap, and window trim, how did you do it?
  2. is there a special process for painting the plastic arches?

Wheels
I'm looking for more of a euro look. (ie dumped stretch and poke). most places i've looked don't offer the aggressive wheel widths and offsets, where should i look?

does anyone know where i can find a set of 18" ASA Ar1's?

Engine mods
Based on my readings, a 15% reduction sc pulley would be most ideal for my use, are there any makers that are better than others? (pro cons etc). would sc reduction pulley and larger crank pulley put detrimental stress on the SC/engine?

The car already has CAI, what other mods should i be looking into for a little pep? I don't know if this is applicable with others, but the mini feels really REALLY sluggish with the AC on.

Thanks in advanced for those that chime in.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Dude, that Beemer is a supermodel I love what you've done with the headlights and grille. Are the rims in your first picture the same as in the rest of the pix?

Anywho, onto your MINI:

Suspension -- PSS9 is your best bet as far as handling goes. They are fully adjustable, so that means you control your ride comfort and ride height! If you do the Bilsteins though, you need to get the whole setup: camber plates, control arms, etc etc etc. If you have the resources to do a full setup, the Bilsteins, in my opinion, are the pinnacle of MINI suspension. If I were you, I would try to get a suspension system brand new, for the cheapest you can instead of buying used. Not sure where to get cheap Bilsteins

Exterior -- there are so many things you can do with that color combo you have going I would definitely do an aero kit with body-color grille surrounds and red mirror caps. As for the door handles, gas cap, etc. I would definitely make them body-color as well. The headlight rings would be real nice in body color to match the aero grille surround. I got my stuff done here, but if I were you, I would professionally paint them instead, to get a perfect match. You could paint everything at the same time. When you go to paint your aero kit, you could do the arches, headlight rings, aero surround, door handles, gas cap, etc etc etc.

Wheels -- these are definitely a preference type of thing. Sounds like you and Rally have the same tastes--you should ask him where he gets his wheels and what rims will work best with your exterior, and more importantly, your suspension system.

Engine mods -- I spent a lot of time talking with Adam at ALTA MINI Performance, and he told me that the optimal setup you could do is a 17% pulley with a 0% lightened crank. If you got more cooling and air flow, like a DF Intercooler & Intake/Exhaust you could do a 19% pulley. I wouldn't mess with the size of the crank, however. The smaller pulleys obviously put more stress on the engine, but you can take care of all of that with a good ECU dyno-tune. For the pulleys, intercooler and exhaust, I used ALTA, simply because of their awesome customer service and great warranties. Also, their pulley is self-aligning, if I'm not mistaken, so no worries for the mechanic when he's installing Furthermore, if you're running a set of runflats, you need to take those off for some regular tires. The runflats KILL power (I faced a MINI with exhaust, intake & pulley and all I had was a pulley. He still had his runflats while I had regular tires, and I was faster. That's how much of a difference real tires make).
Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Konstantinos Thank you for your response. I was hoping someone would take the time to help out. the rims and front bumper are different from the 1st pic and the others.
  • I'm leaning towards either Megan or K-sport Coil overs. Mainly b/c the pricing on them are most attractive and the car will rarely see track time.
  • Are there any companies that sell aftermarket Aero kits Or OEM only? Any links would be greatly apprecaited. is there a list of available kits?
  • For ecu software what are the major pro/cons for Unichip and Shark? I know there are custom tuners, but they're not local.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Bill

Wow, I think I just got wood! Your BMW is incredible!

If you make your MINI look as good, wow, just wow. I can't wait to see where you take it.

Oh, and welcome to the m|u!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Skype™ to Puma

Hey Senor Wiggles! Welcome to da Myoo! Love the Bimmer. It's quite the sexy beast!

As for the Mini, I wish I could be of more help, but there are guys on here who know way more than I do, so I'll let them chime in.

Oh, but I will say, I'd go with Megan's over K-sport. I hear more about them than the others...
Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Question about Megan Coilovers...Since there have been several generations, what has been improved?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

nice bimmer. good luck with the mini!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:04 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

does anybody know where these wheels can be found? I tried tirerack, but they only go up to 17's

Old 07-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Love your beamer and from the sounds of your plans for the mini it is going to be sweet. I am also looking for the ASA AR1s and I believe they are discontinued. Tire Rack has them on closeout and doesn't even have them in black anymore for my focus If your able to find a place selling them please let me know.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

What offset should i be looking at for the wheels to be flush with the fenders? is 18x8 offset 34 front 28 rear too aggressive? (is the mini bolt pattern 4x100?) lastly, what's the hub size?

thanks everyone for the compliments on the BMW. With you help, the mini will be modded in no time!

Last edited by mister wiggles; 07-22-2008 at 02:46 AM..
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Hub size is 56.1mm

Based on a little reading, I believe the 18 ASA is no longer available in America, but they report that you can still get them elsewhere. You might want to contact ASA directly and see if they can source them for you.

For an 8 to be flush with the fender you want about 35-40. 35 will be pushing it and may poke a little. With 18's you can't have a lot of poke since they are so big.

Beautiful bimmer

If you're looking for any specific wheels I may be able to help you find a place to buy them. A lot of us rocking the euro style wheels actually just buy them used from classified ads or ebay.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister wiggles View Post
Konstantinos Thank you for your response. I was hoping someone would take the time to help out. the rims and front bumper are different from the 1st pic and the others.
  • I'm leaning towards either Megan or K-sport Coil overs. Mainly b/c the pricing on them are most attractive and the car will rarely see track time.
  • Are there any companies that sell aftermarket Aero kits Or OEM only? Any links would be greatly apprecaited. is there a list of available kits?
  • For ecu software what are the major pro/cons for Unichip and Shark? I know there are custom tuners, but they're not local.
You're very welcome, that's what we're all here for

1. I hear you should go with the Megans betwee the two. Also maybe consider the 'Cross' coilovers?

2. Personally, I don't like any of the 547839038 aftermarket body kits for the MINI that I've seen. The stock aero simply looks the best, and can be found here. I'm not sure if there's a better price anywhere else though, unless you want to find a used kit that you can have repainted.

3. I would say that Unichip is a better bet if you're not going to Dyno-Tune any time soon, simply because ALTA has a great deal on them right now ($500), and they only charge $50 to retune it when you get more mods done to your car. I'm not too familiar with the shark, however, so I assume that there's not too much support for it.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:37 AM
μ

List of kits that we've found for the R53/50:

http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...light=bodykits
Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Hub size is 56.1mm

Based on a little reading, I believe the 18 ASA is no longer available in America, but they report that you can still get them elsewhere. You might want to contact ASA directly and see if they can source them for you.

For an 8 to be flush with the fender you want about 35-40. 35 will be pushing it and may poke a little. With 18's you can't have a lot of poke since they are so big.

Beautiful bimmer

If you're looking for any specific wheels I may be able to help you find a place to buy them. A lot of us rocking the euro style wheels actually just buy them used from classified ads or ebay.

hey rally, do you mind if i pick at your brain a little bit on AIM sometime? i'd like to learn more about the offsets, widths, and general knowledge of suspension and wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantinos88 View Post
You're very welcome, that's what we're all here for

1. I hear you should go with the Megans betwee the two. Also maybe consider the 'Cross' coilovers?

2. Personally, I don't like any of the 547839038 aftermarket body kits for the MINI that I've seen. The stock aero simply looks the best, and can be found here. I'm not sure if there's a better price anywhere else though, unless you want to find a used kit that you can have repainted.

3. I would say that Unichip is a better bet if you're not going to Dyno-Tune any time soon, simply because ALTA has a great deal on them right now ($500), and they only charge $50 to retune it when you get more mods done to your car. I'm not too familiar with the shark, however, so I assume that there's not too much support for it.
thanks again for your input. Megans will probably be the choice pick. they're the cheapest and for the value, I believe suits my needs substantially.

i'm with you as far as the aero kit goes. wish it wasn't so damn expensive tho

I'll look more into ECU tuning.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 AM
μ

yah, let me know when you'll be on aim sometime. I can usually get on at night.