motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 04-03-2018, 06:29 AM
μ

Default Living in Los Angeles

Just doing some pre-planning here. Chance I could end up in Los Angeles in a year and a half. Wondering what a guy like me can find for living arrangements.

I'd like to be less than an hour from LA Air Base. I have 4 cars and need to have 2 of them garage kept and the other 2 I'd like to not have to worry about them in the driveway.

House preferred, but I've honestly been considering living in a warehouse or large garage type space that has room for my cars and tools and a small (800sq ft?) living space. Not sure if this kind of thing exists in LA in a safe enough area.

Looking to spend less than $3,000 a month

So what do you guys think? What would you do with those constraints? Convince me to move to Los Angeles!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to beken Send a message via Yahoo to beken Send a message via Skype™ to beken

Not sure I would want to live in Los Angeles. I like vacations there, but maybe not live there. Love the Santa Monica area.

Wouldn't mind San Diego though.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 AM
μ

I don't have too much of an option unfortunately. LA Air Force Base is high on the list of next moves.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:53 PM
μ

405 traffic....may the Schwartz be with you.....

Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM
μ

live someplace else and get a plane so you can go to work.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:45 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukifer View Post
live someplace else and get a plane so you can go to work.
Obviously that is a joke, but is that something that would be possible? Can you land a personal plane at the base?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 AM
μ

I can get a private license, but the air base in LA doesn't have a runway. Different kind of base. haha Although some bases do have flying clubs and that would be entirely possible.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:28 PM
μ

That is cool that it would be an option if they had a runway.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:29 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

I think you're talking about what used to be LA Air Force Station on El Segundo. I was stationed there in the mid 70's. No base housing and the allowance we got to live off base was set in the late 50's. i worked 48 hours a week as base security (contracted) as my part time job just to make ends meet. Couldn't leave there fast enough to suit me.

One thing I did enjoy about it was taking my son to see the Flat Track races at Ascot Park.

While I was at Vandenberg AFB in the early 80's I had a girlfriend that lived in Santa Monica. Didn't mind visiting LA for the weekends.
I left CA in '84 for the last time and have no plans to set foot in the state again. Besides, the ex wife lives in Anaheim, so another reason not to visit.

JCW Pro, NeuSpeed (NM), Helix, CravenSpeed, ArmaSpeed, ByteTronik, Milltek, Sneed4Speed, Sparco, M7, BC Racing, and some other stuff.

'15 MC S

Last edited by vetsvette; 05-30-2018 at 04:40 AM..
Old 05-31-2018, 07:44 AM
μ

It's definitely not my first choice. haha. I'm just trying to get plans ahead of the time and expectations. It's the same station you mentioned. It's not ideal and there's no housing, but the BAH isn't bad. Just not enough to get any kind of house with a respectable garage or anything.

Base housing is standard type but it's down in San Pedro. I'm thinking that's a bit of a commute in traffic.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:44 AM
μ

It's definitely not my first choice. haha. I'm just trying to get plans ahead of the time and expectations. It's the same station you mentioned. It's not ideal and there's no housing, but the BAH isn't bad. Just not enough to get any kind of house with a respectable garage or anything.

Base housing is standard type but it's down in San Pedro. I'm thinking that's a bit of a commute in traffic.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Yeah, They opened San Pedro up for us for about the last 8-10 months I was there. Beat the heck out of the apartment I had. If you hang out at the NCO Club until after the rush hour the traffic wasn't too bad. I'm sure the traffic hasn't improved since I left, but I don't remember the commute being too bad. We had some people that did a 90 mile (one way) commute every day so they could afford to buy a house. What organization are you going to?

JCW Pro, NeuSpeed (NM), Helix, CravenSpeed, ArmaSpeed, ByteTronik, Milltek, Sneed4Speed, Sparco, M7, BC Racing, and some other stuff.

'15 MC S