motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM
μ

I have a spare set of Crank Bros Mallets that I put on for newbie friends who want to have a crack at riding. At least they retain the 'egg-beater' clips if I want to clip in. Shame they weigh about 150lb each, though...

...once you go clipless, you never go back...

Click the image to open in full size.
Tit + Bec = '09 AB JCW // '90 964 C2 // '15 R60 CCS // Australia
Old 09-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk

I looked into some stuff last night.

I guess the two big areas around here are Cottonwood in Red Rock Canyon and Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City. Both areas have bike shops that rent. Only problem is most of the rentals are full suspension.

The one shop in Bootleg has one hardtail 26" (Specialized Hardrock) and the other shop in Cottonwood has one hardtail 29" (Gary Fisher Paragon)

Crappy thing is the Gary Fisher retails at $1850 and the Hardrock is like $650 so it will be kind of crappy judging against the two dont you think??
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Yeah, that's a big jump in components (in both raw equipment and refinement levels).

I'd say try the Fisher, but wouldn't get too crazy about the Specialized. Got any friends with 26" bikes you can drag along for a little comparison action?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I dont know a lot of people that Mtn bike locally so I dont have anyone else to compare with really. The couple of guys I know are smaller then me so I would be too big on their bikes (Im 6'2" and they are about 5' 9"ish) also both their bikes are full suspension.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tit View Post

...once you go clipless, you never go back...

truth! when i moved on to clipless in bmx racing i was amazing at how much nicer they were. my favorite is if you're coming up short on a jump you can just pull your knees up and prevent yourself from casing

i had always been against clipless.

nothing sucks more than falling and still being clipped in
Old 09-18-2011, 02:01 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydicky13 View Post
nothing sucks more than falling and still being clipped in
True dat. Last time I went down (been a while...) and got my ass kicked was when I was idling waiting for somebody to catch up. I just started doing tight slow circles, hit some real fine sandy pea gravel, and went down in the blink of an eye. Of course the person I was waiting for arrives a moment or so later and can barely control their laughter as they asked if I'm okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Sirk View Post
I dont know a lot of people that Mtn bike locally so I dont have anyone else to compare with really. The couple of guys I know are smaller then me so I would be too big on their bikes (Im 6'2" and they are about 5' 9"ish) also both their bikes are full suspension.
Bummer... Well, I guess I'd say give them both a rent & try. At least you'll be able to see what the different wheel sizes feel like and time to see how the different component sets work.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by werD View Post
True dat. Last time I went down (been a while...) and got my ass kicked was when I was idling waiting for somebody to catch up. I just started doing tight slow circles, hit some real fine sandy pea gravel, and went down in the blink of an eye. Of course the person I was waiting for arrives a moment or so later and can barely control their laughter as they asked if I'm okay...
ahahh yea, thats happened to me a few times too! certainty a good laugh! my favorite is when im on the fixed gear clipped in and loose my balance doing a track stand at a light. then everybody in the cars behind you gets a good laugh.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
µ Leadership

I need a mountain bike again now that i am backi in the woods
Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Looking to pick up a new, basic Trek tonight or tomorrow. Something to mess around with before I move to CO.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Bringing this thread back.

I cant believe I still have not bought a bike yet. LOL.

I must say I took the advice of some of you guys and rented the Gary Fisher 29"er. Im glad I did as I ruled it out. I like the 26" bikes better as they seem more agile to me. My buddy was impressed with my balance as he said he was surprised based on my height. I did almost die though, as I was shocked at how out of shape I was.

Anyway Im now on the hunt to buy something soon. I have been looking for a deal. Can anyone recommend sites that sell closeouts? Ideally I would like to get something thats a past model and save some money ... or find something on Craigs List thats well taken care of.

Yesterday I missed out on a pretty good deal as a Pawn shop had a listing on CL for a Cannondale Moto carbon that looked like it never been ridden. They where asking $900 and had a 10% off coupon with the ad So it would have been $810. Price on that thing new was almost $6K, but it sold that morning.

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 03-08-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM
μ

Damn - that Cannondale woulda' coulda' been a steal for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Sirk View Post
Bringing this thread back.

I cant believe I still have not bought a bike yet. LOL.

I must say I took the advice of some of you guys and rented the Gary Fisher 29"er. Im glad I did as I ruled it out. I like the 26" bikes better as they seem more agile to me. My buddy was impressed with my balance as he said he was surprised based on my height. I did almost die though, as I was shocked at how out of shape I was.

Anyway Im not on the hunt to buy something soon. I have been looking for a deal. Can anyone recommend sites that sell closeouts? Ideally I would like to get something thats a past model and save some money ... or find something on Craigs List thats well taken care of.

Yesterday I missed out on a pretty good deal as a Pawn shop had a listing on CL for a Cannondale Moto carbon that looked like it never been ridden. They where asking $900 and had a 10% off coupon with the ad So it would have been $810. Price on that thing new was almost $6K, but it sold that morning.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Anyone have thoughts on Sette or Fezzari Mountain Bikes?

http://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes

http://www.settebikes.com/MountainBikes.html

The carbon frame hardtails seem like decent deals.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Cascade Peak looks pretty baller. Definitely shop around, and ride one if you can!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

just gone through all of this but it ended up being specalized rockhopper or trek 4900 in the end I decided to go for the trek 4900 and its only done 40miles so far but I am really pleased with it. rode a hardrock too but it was quite heavy and not as well balanced. get down the bike shop and try some out.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Cascade Peak looks pretty baller. Definitely shop around, and ride one if you can!
They are factory direct so no shopping around on them. Seems like that have great reviews on mtbr.com

Here is one for their top alloy hardtail:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...7_1527crx.aspx

Any thoughts on this? Im just looking to get back on a bike and start riding. Decided I want a 26" Hardtail / XC for now and later on will move up to a full suspension.

http://www.fezzari.com/hard-tail-cro...try/kings-peak

also people on mtbr.com said they do custom fit, where they ask you your riding level and you provide them with your measurements and they will adjust the components to your budget.

Also I did a comparison of bikes they offer in the price range I would like to stay in and noticed the entry level Carbon framed hardtail has a older lower grade front fork. IF you where me which of these three would you go with?

http://www.fezzari.com/compare/produ...ude/abajo-peak

Im really leaning to the Kings Peak as I think its a good starting point for the money when compared to similar models by GT, Giant, Specialized, Trek and Cannondale.

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 03-12-2012 at 10:40 PM..