motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 AM
μ

Thanks a tonne Paul and F.G.

When I jacked my car up previously I did essentially the same thing; jacking using the sub frame and putting the jack stand under the stock front jack point. Only issue in my mind was when I jacked the front the back wheel on the side I was jacking lifted as well. I got the hydraulic jack over christmas and I can not see how I lived without it. Makes it so much easier, and safer.

I did not see any oil splattered or any sign of a cracked boot, but Ill take a closer look on the weekend. Im now curious as to what is making this sound. Fingers crossed it is the CV joint, if anything. Trying to not drain money from the coilover funds.

I don't have any vibrations under acceleration over 3k, just the slight steering vibration at high speeds due to a very slightly bent rim. (I think ) So I believe my axle is still alright. Ill give it a check over anyway to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
ONLY JACK ON A FLAT SURFACE!!
Ohhhhh so doing it on a severe incline covered in loose gravel is bad then.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM
μ

Well guys, here is the low down. Much better than I thought.

1. I jacked her up with both front wheels off the ground. So that was a success.

2. Turned the steering wheel and the noise was not coming from any of the suspension or drivetrain components. So the CV joints and axles were both in working order. That made me happy.

3. Determined the clicking sound was corresponding to a certain position on the wheel when I turned it. Usually a quarter turn to the right, and a few other places every now and then.

4. Noise was actually originating along the steering column.

5. After removing the drivers portion of the dash and listening even closer I discovered it was coming from the steering shaft joint.

This is a photo of one from a cobra but looks essentially the same:

Click the image to open in full size.

So a joint just like that is making the clicking noise. It might be a reverberation from somewhere else down the steering shaft but I would bet that its the joint. Its not good news but its much much better than having a broken CV joint .

It had a bit of grease on it already so no need to apply more. To be safe Ill call up the dealer and get them to fix it for me. Much quicker for them now that I know what it is.

Thanks again guys for the help. Ill let you know what happens once I take her to the dealer.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
μ

Hell yeah! good stuff. I really hope this will set you MINI straight now!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

oh that kind of clicking when turning... good luck at the dealer. I would still say to do it my self if you don't want to cut in to your coil over fund dealer rates can be up there and dash work is usually pretty expensive. so the more you do your self the more you will learn about your car and the more money you will save. check out www.REALOEM.com for a list of components in your car this should help you to understand how it works and what might be causing it.

also does it click while idling in the Driveway? clicking in the steering that is not a CV can be other serious problems like ball joints (those are more clunky) or something as simple as your tire rubbing on the fender well

good luck

edit: just thinking about your bent rim try checking components in that side for damage that you may not have noticed earlier (and your rim shouldn't bend to much if it's alloy like most of ours. it could just be out of balance.)

BTW I just realized you were in Australia... I'm becoming a Kiwi in about a year or so... maybe we'll meet up for a rally some day?

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Paul View Post
Hell yeah! good stuff. I really hope this will set you MINI straight now!
Yeah I hope so. My funds are getting very very close to coilover time as well so its looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
I would still say to do it my self if you don't want to cut in to your coil over fund dealer rates can be up there and dash work is usually pretty expensive. so the more you do your self the more you will learn about your car and the more money you will save.

also does it click while idling in the Driveway?

edit: just thinking about your bent rim try checking components in that side for damage that you may not have noticed earlier

BTW I just realized you were in Australia... I'm becoming a Kiwi in about a year or so... maybe we'll meet up for a rally some day?
Yeah I always do work on my car myself, I know it inside and out. Spent 6 months last year fabricating an audio system for my boot.

It doesn't click when stationary and the steering wheel is not moving, just when I turn the wheel.

Nothing in the wheel area is damaged that I can see. I put my stock S-Heavies back on to test last year and the vibration was gone completely. I blame the cheap chromies.

And yes, Im in Australia. Which is kinda lame as I can not meet anyone on this forum in person. I have contemplated many times flying over for AMVIV and/or the Dragon. But it wouldn't be the same without my Mini there. And sending a car to the USA ain't cheap.

What brings you to the land of the Sheep? A rally does sound good.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

P.M sent

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
μ

Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 AM
μ

Got it fixed today finally. All good. No more grinding. Few joints need more grease and a bushing in the steering column needed replacing.