motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Whistling Noise Coming From Under Bonnet PLEASE HELP :(

Hey guys, so the past couple of days i've been hearing this distinct whistling sounds when I'm driving. I tried to isolate the problem, thought it might be brakes or something but it's definitely coming from under the bonnet. The car can be idling, in neutral, and when I give it a little gas it produces this whistling sound. I have a video right here, you can hear it very clearly.

Any idea what this could be? I just got the car a month ago I hope its not anything too crazy

It's a 2004 MCS with 88k on the clock.

Link to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0PPRsu9d0
Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Leadership

Don't you mean hood since you are here in the USA?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

yes I guess I mean under the hood.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Before breaking the bad news, I suggest you get your hands on a tensioner tool and remove the belt and inspect the tensioner pulley and idler pulley. Make sure they're not loose or wobbly. A visual inspection of the belt for any rubbing if it's getting off track a little. The tensioner shock absorber could be loose in there too, the rubber bushings can dry out and work themselves out leaving the shock absorber loose. That really sounds more like a rattle though.

Now the bad news, really sounds like your supercharger is going to me. I replaced mine last year mostly due to the heavy growling. Just my opinion based on your youtube video. If it is the supercharger, and you're mechanically inclined, you can go rebuilt and get it done for maybe $900+. I have some photos of the replacement posted at photobucket under the username tobfree_mini if you're interested. There are also some threads here and at NAM on the supercharger failure subject, so do some searching and research. In the end, I probably replaced mine too early at around 80,000+ miles, but at least the one I have will outlast the MINI. I read somewhere the life span of the supercharger is 100,000 miles without a reduced supercharger pulley. Common sense says a reduced supercharger pulley means faster spinning and less miles on the lifespan. But there's no white paper on that.

Linkie here on m|u http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...er+replacement

Last edited by ToBFree; 06-18-2010 at 02:47 AM..
Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

^^^ Well to be honest, it's not a rattle at all, it's literally just a high pitched whistle. I took the car out for a drive and the noise was gone. Then shortly after I went on another short drive and the noise came back. There is no roughness to it, nor is there any effect in performance, it's just that damn whistle that you hear. On NAM, someone from ALTA said he thinks it may be the tensioner bearing going bad so to get a new tensioner as well as check the idler pulley like you said. I'm kinda spooked :/
Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Follow that link I placed above. At the end of the thread the subject changed to the tensioner. Pictures included. Best of luck.

I have to say your video sure had a lot of chatter in that SC.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

I agree a quick inspection of components will tell you... Having built Jet engines though, that is a bearing that is goin by the wayside... I just hope, for you, its not in the Super...

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

Click the image to open in full size.

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
I agree a quick inspection of components will tell you... Having built Jet engines though, that is a bearing that is goin by the wayside... I just hope, for you, its not in the Super...
I feel you,
I took it to a friend today for some experimentation. The sound only starts to occur after the car has been running for a while and has warmed up. When you accelerate, the sound goes away, and only comes on when the pedal is let off. Also, the whistling seems to slow down as the car is shut off, also supporting the bearing conclusion
Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Ok guys, this has been taken care of.

Luckily, it was NOT the supercharger. It actually wasn't a pulley or fan or tensioner or anything.

I had 2 leaky gaskets that were causing the noise, I was able to have both replaced and my ac recharged all for 500.00

If anyone needs a top notch shop to go to in the northern VA area, choice automotive is the ish. Dude there KNOWS his stuff.

http://www.choiceautova.com/