motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 07-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to imspencerwithanR53 Send a message via Skype™ to imspencerwithanR53
Thumbs down Shooting Blanks, wait just a plug...

Alright, well as many of you know, earlier MINI's are notorious for "ejecting" sometimes stock and most of the time aftermarket spark plugs. Yesterday I was the struck down by this curse of having an aluminum head and aftermarket plugs. I have been driving on my brisk plugs for a little over 10k. They were torqued correctly and my car only has 55k on the clock. But, this is where is is a little different... See my plug didn't shoot out of the cylinder head, it stayed some what threaded and I believed it was only loose until i tried to torque it back down it spun like Alice falling down a tree trunk in Wonderland... It was bouncing around in the tube and it was a b**** to get out. Today, I went to mess with it and tried to replace the spark plug with a different one. Surprisingly, this spark plug threaded and torqued and I proceeded to drive the MINI home from work...

Now, I believe the threads are weak in the head and I have a very strong feeling the plug will get ejected once more and make a very large mess. On the other hand however, is there a possibility that my previous spark plug was just jacked and didn't want to stay in my motor... Also, the end of the threads on the spark plug were rounded (not tapered) if that helps. I understand the expansion and contraction in that area of the engine hence why I am asking if it will happen again....

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinGreene View Post
I fail about everything.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

most after market plugs are not made for a specific car. that being said, they might be sticking into the cylander too much and or not cunduction the correct amount of heat, as far as torquing them where are you getting you'r specs from? what kind of wrench are you using? there shouldn't be anything wrong with the head unless it had been damaged, some time previously. the option of re-enforcing the head is always there. make a through inspection of the threads with the plug out, however I wouldn't pull them unless the problem happends again, just so you don't exacerbate a possiable problem.

long-short, if it's stripped pull the head and at least coil it. check you procedures against something solid like a bently and use a wrench that has been calibrated with in the last year.

F.G.

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

Click the image to open in full size.

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to imspencerwithanR53 Send a message via Skype™ to imspencerwithanR53

i get all my specs from the bentley. I also use an electrical vibrating torque wrench. I found out that the alloy used in the 02-03 heads was not that great and that the second cylinder in those years seems to be very weak. This is not a very uncommon problem and re threading is a possibility however, but I have an extra head and will be swapping them out soon.

Quote:
I fail about everything.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

well no worrys then

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

Click the image to open in full size.

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Use anti-seize. AFAIK, the torque specs provided by the manual take into account use of anti-seize, so if you're not using anti-seize on them, you're not torquing to the proper specs. Also, different spark plug brands use slightly different thread pitches. A lot of people used to have trouble when they'd switch from the factory BMW (NGK) plugs to Densos, so I would recommend sticking with NGK to ensure you have the correct thread pitch.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good to know. I did pick up some NGK plugs to replace the ones I had previous.

Thank you, Idiaz.

Quote:
I fail about everything.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ColinGreene

hey did you ever get yourClick the image to open in full size.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

still haven't done it..

Quote:
I fail about everything.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ColinGreene

Save that dolla dude-bro and put a head and cam on. maby one day you will have a real header too!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

In time. I could really care less if I had a head right now. A cam would be nice but I still can't even afford one. My header is just fine. I like not having a cat

Quote:
I fail about everything.