motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 AM
μ

Default Grinding when turning.

So for the past couple months, whenever I turned right at a slow speed (5 km/h) I would hear one clicking noise, from the front right wheel. A month ago I got the car up on jacks, checked it out and everything looked normal. However towards the end of my 20 min trip today these occasional clicks started to happen more and more, at speed this time. As I pulled into the parking lot every time I turned the wheel left or right (at low speed) I would hear almost a continuous clinking/grinding noise for the duration of the turn. I went to work and 6 hours later I drove home cautiously, and did not hear a single noise. My friend at work was suggesting a CV joint, but wouldn't it of happened again on the way home? I only have lowering springs on the front, and never track the car or thrash her around.

Any thoughts as to what it could be would be fantastic. I did some searching on here but came up empty. The search wouldn't let me search for just "CV". Thanks in advance.

PS. The power steering is fine, can turn effortlessly just like normal. Also, she sits at home during the week and there has not been any oil under her either.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Retired

are the end link ball joints intact? is there a tear in a CV boot?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to BrandonH

Same thing happened to me when I lowered mine. Try re-tightening the endlink.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I would guess cv joint. I had a strange noise only occurring sometimes at speed. It was a whirling, grinding, thumping noise from the right front. Found that my belt was bad, so I replaced it, and the noise was goon for about 1000 miles. When it came back I ended up replacing the axle. Now it has been fine. When testing the cv joints before replacing the axle there was some play, but vert little.

Good luck,

Nik
Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 PM
μ

Thanks guys for the tips.

Jacked her up this afternoon and took off the wheel. Had a good look and tried to move anything related to the suspension. Spring will not turn on the perch, all the bolts felt rock tight, no signs of any leaking fluid and there were no bends or breaks in anything. CV joints appeared to be fine from what I could see, no tear in the rubber sleeve over them. Apart from the stuff being a bit dirty everything was in working order. I was lost as to what was making the sound. Very bizarre...

I drove to and from work today and it happened once in the parking lot, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. When I get some free time Ill take it to my mates place and use his lift so I can turn the wheels when they have no pressure on them. See if that reveals anything. Fingers crossed something shows.

My money is on a dodgy CV joint, or one that is on its way out.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
My money is on a dodgy CV joint, or one that is on its way out.
sounds like it to me

Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

Clicking is always the CV joint don't worry about the boot. when you get it out you can visually inspect it and see the damage for yourself. just know that when one goes the other is not far behind. Grinding is going to be the wheel bearing. but as long as its not doing it constantly than I would say that your wheel bearing is safe.

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

Click the image to open in full size.

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 AM
μ

Yeah its not when driving straight, just an occasional click when turning left or right at slower speeds. I know its not the wheel bearing. Strange thing though is that it will make the noise when stationary when I just turn the wheel. I initially thought it was the spring rubbing.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
μ

I'm going though this same situation right now. My MINI is currently at a local shop waiting on it's new axle to arrive this morning. Although my cv was toast, I actually had a hairline crack in the inner housing right before the inner boot begins. So with an un-coreable axle, a new one with a "lifetime" warranty from the shop doing the work is worth it to me. This is the left axle for me by the way. Hope that you get your situation resolved soon.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

with your second description, I again agree with paul^^ def the CV and it wouldn't hurt to have the axle checked. if you wanted to do all this stuff at home it can be done even the checking for the crack.

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
μ

Im nearly done with classes for the semester so Ill have more free time to fiddle with her. So I have two questions.

1. How do I go about checking for the dodgy CV and crack in the axle?

2. What is the easiest way to get both front wheels off the ground at the same time? I have a hydraulic jack and a couple axle stands, I just can't seem to pick a safe jacking point in the front. Ideally I want to be able to turn the wheels when they are off the ground so I can see precisely where this clicking is coming from.

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 PM
μ

I gotta run out the door to work, but when I get back I'll give you a run down on what happened and what's happening now with my MINI's axles.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
μ

Cheers mate. Its 11pm here so Ill read it tomorrow afternoon. The car is chilling in the driveway so no rush. She's only really used on weekends.

I <3 Trains
Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM
μ

As for a worn cv, you can't really check it, but if the boots are cracked even a little bit, you might be looking at a worn cv. Once there is a little crack in the rubber, axle grease could be lost, which can spell the end of the cv's life quickly. I just noticed the other day that there was a fanning of grease on all the surrounding components around the left inner boot. Sure enough, that cv joint was dead. Besides the clicking sounds while turning, if you have a vibration under throttle (3k and up for me), chances are one of your axles is toast.

The fix is pretty easy and not to expensive. You could do the job yourself if you want. There are 3 ways to get a "new" axle: have yours rebuilt, provided that the cv casings are not cracked, this is usually the cheapest route. you could buy a new rebuilt axle, I had to do this because my cv casing was cracked, therefore my axle was un-coreable. Or you can by a brand new axle from MINI, and they are NOT cheap.

I had a shop take car of my MINI's axle woes only because they had a kick ass warranty policy, if it breaks again, they'll fix it no questions asked. That was worth it to me.

Whew..... still with me.

This is how I jack-up my MINI, I'm no professional mechanic by any means so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Under the side skirts there are 4 blocks, two on each side. what I do is chock the rear tire and place a jack directly behind (as in towards the back of the car) and jack the car up from the pinch weld. It runs the length of the car and part of the side skirt goes over it. Once I get the car high enough, I place a jack stand underneath the jack block. Repeat for the other side. Don't forget to loosen the lug bolts before you lift the car too.

Hope some of this small novel helps you.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

all this is good^ I am a professional Mech and the only other thing I would recommend is using the sub-frame assy as a jack point instead of the pinch weld. but that would be after first using the say right rear jack block to lift the right of the car then place a jack stand on the right front part then using the jack slide it under the car you will see a round circle in the center of the plate I always use that as a jack point, then place a jack stand under the other front jack block. ONLY JACK ON A FLAT SURFACE!! but you knew that as far as looking for suspected cracks you can always magna flux

MOTORING ID ZOOM017