motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Question oil questions (heat?)

First - sorry i was trying to post this under maintenance but for some reason the webside would not let me...

So here are my questions:

-is my mini loosing too much oil? i change my oil every 7500 mile, and between intervals i alway have to add 1 or sometimes 2 qt... ive checked under the car after leaving the car parked for a weeked in th esame spot and not sign of oil on the ground... i havent notice any sign of leak when im under the car chaging the oil

-my other question i guess could be related to the one above... why is my oil turning black really quick? ive notice that a few thousand miles after changing the oil, it turns black.

i use 5w-30 "full" synthetic mobile 1

Could this be heat related? i live in texas, and temps here are around 90 to 100f... so perhaps the heat is so high that the oil starts to "burn" and thats why see oil lost and the darkness in it? perhaps i need to change to a different type of oil (15w-40)??

TIA for the help
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
μ

moved it for ya
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
μ

I'm no expert on this, but I recall reading a 1qt loss can be normal and MINI considers 2qts acceptable. If I have time I'll hunt it down.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
μ

Here's one, http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ad.php?t=18773. I should probably rib you about using the search feature, but I'm feeling generous today
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

thanks for moving the thread...
yeah i saw that one.. but since only one person said it was normal, i wastn sure if i should take it as "confirmed".. besides he said 12k.. i change my oil at 7.5k miles...
anyone in a pretty hot area? i am wondering what type of oil people is using?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
μ

did you check this thread?...http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ad.php?t=10711

most oil questions answered there; on another note, if I lost a quart of oil(or more) every 7500 miles I'd be a little worried and go get my shizz checked. Mine has a small oil pan leak and I don't lose that much, just sayin'....

Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNi_MaC View Post
but since only one person said it was normal, i wastn sure if i should take it as "confirmed"..
I wouldn't hesitate to trust Rick. He knows his stuff
Quote:
besides he said 12k..
Point taken.. so bump
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I live in a very hot summer location and don't see any loss of oil between changes (every 6 months).

I would suggest that the oil consumption has more to do with the age of the engine and mileage more than anything else. If you are concerned you could take it to a shop and have them do a compression and leak down test. That will tell you if you have a cylinder that is possibly burning oil.

As to the color, synthetics are notorious for changing color very soon after changing it. Nothing to be concerned about as long as you don't notice any contamination from coolant or fuel.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Check the standard things:
Look for oil on the ground - You said you had seen no oil, so next.
Check Chassis for oil spray (takes a good leak for a drip to start) -
Check around top of engine and IC- (Many R53s have IC that have oil in them and is considered, to some degree, normal thus the Oil Catch can)
Check to see if Oil is in Coolant, (several, including me have had oil coolers crack and pump oil into coolant)
Do you run your car hard or autox/track? (high revs increase consumption based on personal observation)

If you see or do none of the above then my guess is your car uses oil. Mine does and so do many others I have seen when working with WMW .

If you dont trust the advice of the internet, take it to a reputable mechanic and have them check it out. See sponsors for a mechanic near you...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCountry S View Post
did you check this thread?...http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ad.php?t=10711

most oil questions answered there; on another note, if I lost a quart of oil(or more) every 7500 miles I'd be a little worried and go get my shizz checked. Mine has a small oil pan leak and I don't lose that much, just sayin'....
yes I saw it, thanks.. i was still a bit confused on what to exactly use.. 5w-40? 10w-30? 10w-40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
I live in a very hot summer location and don't see any loss of oil between changes (every 6 months).

I would suggest that the oil consumption has more to do with the age of the engine and mileage more than anything else. If you are concerned you could take it to a shop and have them do a compression and leak down test. That will tell you if you have a cylinder that is possibly burning oil.

As to the color, synthetics are notorious for changing color very soon after changing it. Nothing to be concerned about as long as you don't notice any contamination from coolant or fuel.
do you use 5w-30?... my mini is a 02 R53 with almost 80k mile btw.

thanks everyone for your input

Last edited by MiNi_MaC; 06-30-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skurvy View Post
Check the standard things:
Look for oil on the ground - You said you had seen no oil, so next.
Check Chassis for oil spray (takes a good leak for a drip to start) -
Check around top of engine and IC- (Many R53s have IC that have oil in them and is considered, to some degree, normal thus the Oil Catch can)
Check to see if Oil is in Coolant, (several, including me have had oil coolers crack and pump oil into coolant)
Do you run your car hard or autox/track? (high revs increase consumption based on personal observation)

If you see or do none of the above then my guess is your car uses oil. Mine does and so do many others I have seen when working with WMW .

If you dont trust the advice of the internet, take it to a reputable mechanic and have them check it out. See sponsors for a mechanic near you...
-no oil on the ground
-no signs of oil spray in the bay
-my IC had some oil, cleaned it, and installed an OCC.. btw i just remmeber i have to clean it
-no oil in the coolant, ive hear bout the milkey browney coolant.. but thank god no signs of that here.
-i dont do autox or track.. i do drive usually/daily at highway speeds (60-70mph)

i guess since my car is an older model, this could be just normal?... you are provably right: "my guess is your car uses oil. Mine does and so do many others I have seen when working with WMW"
Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

It is not normal to burn/use oil.
if you are not leaking it then:

The valve guides are worn and/or the piston oil rings are worn.
Oil changes color to a dark color because of unburned gas vapor called HC's that get into the crankcase via worn piston oil rings and/or worn valve guides.

Examine your spark plugs for sign of oil deposits.
Have a shop do a compression check and cylinder leak evaluation to determine the exact extent of engine wear which will also tell you why you are using(burning) the quantity of oil.

The Weather (w) multi grade oil and/or type of oil chosen to use may slow down the consumption of oil caused by worn parts but may also cause other accelerated engine wear.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

@nitrosmini

Thanks for the helpfull info, plugs are next in my list, and ill go from there
Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
yes I saw it, thanks.. i was still a bit confused on what to exactly use.. 5w-40? 10w-30? 10w-40?

do you use 5w-30?... my mini is a 02 R53 with almost 80k mile btw.

thanks everyone for your input
Used 5-30 for years and now am using the 0-40 Mobil1
Old 07-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

ok, so here is what I believe is going on and why...

first off if your burnin oil or "losin it some where" then it dosn't really matter what viscosity you put in, and please dear God don't put in a 0w-anything you just look like a fool.

Mini Recomends (sp) 5w-30, so put 5w-30 in it, I live in Phoenix and run it and it is fine (i got you by about 20 or so degrees on average).

anything thicker you run into problems with oil starvation in your bearings, you may think how? on a molecular level an increase in viscosity is going to result in a change in surface tension and impact resistance. and seeing how your crank and cams are floating style (unless you have way too much money in your engine) then that can play havoc on them bearings.

as far as were our oil is going I would say some is always going to get by the rings... usually not a lot, it's a problem when you puff blue smoke crusin down the road.

and seeing how it's a S I would honestly check the supercharger seals, an easy way to see if your bleedin into the intake is to pull the intercooler and see how much oil is in it, that will be a good indication of things that might be going on.

hope this helps
F.G.

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

Click the image to open in full size.

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017