motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default Hawk HP+ [HP Plus]

Anyone have any experience running Hawk HP+ pads for street/canyon/trackday use? I'm currently running Ferodo DS2500, which I absolutely love, but I noticed that pricing on the HP+ is about $30-40 cheaper per axle set than Ferodo DS2500, so I'd like to find out a little bit more about them.

I'm not really concerned about noise, only braking performance at both cold (ambient temperatures, just rolled out of the driveway) and hot (downhill canyon road, track day) temperatures. Pedal feel should be firm, modulated with how much force you're applying, not by how far you push the pedal. Reduced dust would be cool, but I'm more than willing to get solid stopping performance in exchange for dustier pads.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:33 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Hi Ivan,

I'm running HP+ on some OEM sized drilled rotors & ATE blue - though I haven't run them through the canyons - on cold startups for everyday driving they are fine.

I spoke with Randy Webb about the pads a while back ago on the phone - they're noisy - but he highly recommended these pads if you want a great balance between (canyons) street and the track. So I got a pair - though highly underused - they've saved my butt on the street on more than one occasion.

Take care

-cityhuntermini-
Old 06-13-2006, 12:37 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhuntermini
Hi Ivan,

I'm running HP+ on some OEM sized drilled rotors & ATE blue - though I haven't run them through the canyons - on cold startups for everyday driving they are fine.

I spoke with Randy Webb about the pads a while back ago on the phone - they're noisy - but he highly recommended these pads if you want a great balance between (canyons) street and the track. So I got a pair - though highly underused - they've saved my butt on the street on more than one occasion.

Take care

-cityhuntermini-
Daiyu! Long time no see, dude! How y'been?

Good information on the HP+ pads, now go roast them up and let me know how it goes! Noise doesn't bother me. The Ferodo DS2500's I'm running now are noisy as hell. I kind'a like it, though--it contributes to the race car sound.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

When you say noisey....is it a squealy noise or a scratchy noise?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

These are just my personal experiences and opinions - I'm no expert in terms of autosport or mechanics.

squeaky noise when braking - as for testing them on a canyon course - its been quite a few miles since i've had these - so it wouldn't be an accurate representation of their capability. my friend tried out my car after installing them for me and he was quite pleased with the improvement - i respect his opinion since he's pushed my car way harder on the canyons than i would ever dare try even if i had the skills to prove.

I've heard great things about the Ferodo DS2500 - so to be honest Ivan - the best way of figuring out products is to benchtest them. If you've got the budget or the means to try out products - try taking the plung for the Hawks. I picked them up at their actual Hawk brake shop in Costa Mesa / Newport location - they can custom make anything you want brakepad wise and the guys were really knowledgeable. ATE and Motul products on hand to boot.
I wouldn't get that kind of face to face customer service from some other brands - but then proximity isn't a factor for me in this case.

As for benchtesting - as a well known mini website - you might consider hitting up manufacturers for samples to benchmark for comparison testing. Our mag while it was around - had done alot of shootoffs and reviews - we started off with cold calling companies for parts to offering free advertisement in return for components for a limit time.

Just my 2 cents - now its time for me to get back to work and dreaded summer session : (

Take Care,

-CityhunterMini-

Last edited by cityhuntermini; 06-13-2006 at 05:42 PM..
Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lucky13

daiyu!!! hiiiiiii!!!
it's me brit hiiiii
where the hell is Young?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:05 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally
When you say noisey....is it a squealy noise or a scratchy noise?
Pedestrian-enraging squeal!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM
μ

Quote:
These are just my personal experiences and opinions - I'm no expert in terms of autosport or mechanics.

squeaky noise when braking - as for testing them on a canyon course - its been quite a few miles since i've had these - so it wouldn't be an accurate representation of their capability. my friend tried out my car after installing them for me and he was quite pleased with the improvement - i respect his opinion since he's pushed my car way harder on the canyons than i would ever dare try even if i had the skills to prove.
So this was vs. stock, right?

Quote:
I've heard great things about the Ferodo DS2500 - so to be honest Ivan - the best way of figuring out products is to benchtest them. If you've got the budget or the means to try out products - try taking the plung for the Hawks. I picked them up at their actual Hawk brake shop in Costa Mesa / Newport location - they can custom make anything you want brakepad wise and the guys were really knowledgeable. ATE and Motul products on hand to boot.
I wouldn't get that kind of face to face customer service from some other brands - but then proximity isn't a factor for me in this case.
Hm, maybe I'll head down there and chat with them sometime. I'm only buying rear brake pads for now, since my fronts are pretty new, but I'd be willing to give the Hawk HP+ a go next time I'm in the market for some front pads.

Quote:
As for benchtesting - as a well known mini website - you might consider hitting up manufacturers for samples to benchmark for comparison testing. Our mag while it was around - had done alot of shootoffs and reviews - we started off with cold calling companies for parts to offering free advertisement in return for components for a limit time.

Just my 2 cents - now its time for me to get back to work and dreaded summer session : (

Take Care,

-CityhunterMini-
Very soooon. This won't always be just a forum, you know.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:33 PM
μ

What are peoples opinions of changing JUST the pads (to start out with,other mods like the bushings later on)
Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 PM
μ

Quote:
What are peoples opinions of changing JUST the pads (to start out with,other mods like the bushings later on)
I can dig it. I'd say fluid is probably more important in upgrading the stock brakes, though. The stock fluid has a pretty low boiling point.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:04 PM
μ

oops forgot...i would probably do fluid too. I just wanna hold off on things like the braided lines, bushings, and rotors until later.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 PM
μ

Quote:
oops forgot...i would probably do fluid too. I just wanna hold off on things like the braided lines, bushings, and rotors until later.
Yeah, swapping the pads and fluids will make a dramatic difference when you're pushin' the car. The Ferodos made a difference around town, too. Great initial bite + much improved modulation. I'm still running stock rotors, BTW.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm still using the stock lines and bushings. Pads and fluid are where to start, and you can stop there if it works for you.

I did go with those cryo-treated rotors (stock size, not slotted), but they don't make a noticable difference over the stock rotors in my mind, so my next set will be the cheap stock ones.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:17 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13
daiyu!!! hiiiiiii!!!
it's me brit hiiiii
where the hell is Young?
Hi Brit,

Hope all is well with you and your racing career!
For the other thing - I actually don't know - haven't talk in ages since the fallout of the company.
For me only thing I've been still dabbling in in terms of motorsports is helping my friend out when he karts every month - pit crew duties & photo dude Fairly safe sport and you can push the kart to the limit all you want.

Quote:
The cross drill oem sized rotors I have were due to a badly need replacement - they were also cheaper than the stock ones from BMW - I bought theses from Ireland Engineering for a great deal - they're advertised on their site. There another place with similar pricing for cross drilled and slotted online - some place down in irvine that sells all type of auto part - they've got a Will Call location for pickup too.

Randy Webb told me over the phone that if your not doing any truely extreme street or alot of track racing - stock rotors with stock lines - but upgraded pads and oils are all you need really. I'm guessing thats with a fairly mild power setup in mind too.

well back to ghosting some pcs - arrrghhh.

-cityhuntermini-
Old 06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
μ

I guess I 'll find out how these pads are first hand as I ordered a set yesterday from Raceshopper.com!!! My Mintex M1144 have reached the end of their life cycle, and I wanted to try something new, hence the Hawk's.....I'll keep you all posted!!