motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 08-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The HP+ are that bad? I run HPS all year round on mine and they make no noise at all.

The Ferodo DS3000's I had for a bit, on the other hand, made evil-in-a-good-way noises. Too bad they didn't last very long. They were somewhere around half used when I got them from the person who sold me my track wheels, and I only got 4 more track days out of them before they were worn down to the groove in the pad.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI
The HP+ are that bad? I run HPS all year round on mine and they make no noise at all.
Yeah.......there pretty loud.............but I'm also running Brembo Sport rotors in the front, I don't think it makea differace, but, they *might* contribute to the banshee squeal!!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:25 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

I donno, Ferodo DS2500 are a liiittle bit quieter, but not by much. Squeal and performance brake pads seem to go hand-in-hand, so any pad that touts silent operation AND performance is probably a sham (*cough*EBC Greenstuff*coughhack*).
Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 PM
μ

For some reason or another, the banshee sream has subsided into a bit softer squel.......dunno????? I guess its only during inital break-in that the banshee squel surrounds the car!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
μ

Nah, it'll come and go. On the Ferodos (and any other brake pad, even the stockers), they seem to become really loud after a good flogging, once they cool down. They'll stay really squealy for a few days, but regular driving seems to scrub off that little bit of glaze on the rotor that causes the squeal, so they'll eventually quiet down again. Only to become stuck pigs after another good run, of course.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

I been running HP+ for 3 or 4 months and the squeal is easy enough to live with. It does seem to come and go.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:35 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

welcome bullfrog.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
µ Retired

my stock pads JUST ran out and i am now out of warranty/ free service.

hmmmmmm

Click the image to open in full size.
Oh no, my brotha... you gotta get your own.
Phaze One
Old 09-07-2006, 04:22 PM
μ

Do it Nardo!!!!!!! there real nice!!!!!! (Hawk Hp+ that is!!!)
Old 09-07-2006, 08:39 PM
µ Leadership

Im a going to get the ferodo 2500, i think. Not real sure. Keep this updated and then we will see
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 PM
μ

Well here's this for an update...
I'm not the best at breaking-in pads, but, I think there good to go now....after a trip to the local twisties only proved this....
While I've had Mintex M1144 on the front, the Hawk's seem to have a stonger inital bite when heated. These (like the Mintex) are virtually fade-resistant, or maybe it was because I was going at carful, but fun canyon speeds and therefore not pushing them the Hawks to the max. I'm curious to see just how far I can push the Hawks. From what I can tell this could only be acomplished at a race track lap after lap, and depending on course layout, an autocross.
We'll have to see what happens on the 9th at Qualcomm..........
Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

On a track that's similar to an autocross (the go-kart track), Hawk HPS pads will last about 5 minutes. So, if you can find an autocross where you can run that long continuously, you're getting close to the danger zone for HPS. HP+ will last longer. Since most autocrosses top out under 2 minutes, brake fade at an autocross should not be an issue.

On a street course that is known for being hard on brakes (NHIS - New Hampshire International Speedway), Hawk HPS pads would start to fade just a hair after 25 minutes of continuous use, but still be pretty good up to around 30 minutes. Again, HP+ will last longer, and that's about as long as any track sessions I know of, and also about the limit of my tires and brain.

On a track that's a bit easier on brakes, Lime Rock, my Hawk HPS pads never showed signs of fading. But I've only been there once and was driving at something like 8/10ths. I think the longest session I had there was around 20 minutes. But from that experience I wouldn't be scared to run HPS at Lime Rock for 25 or 30 minutes.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:51 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Do slotted rotors diminish a pad's tendancy to squeal? I'm about to change rotors and pads, and, although I'll probably to with HPS pads, I am curious about the HP+.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:03 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool
Do slotted rotors diminish a pad's tendancy to squeal? I'm about to change rotors and pads, and, although I'll probably to with HPS pads, I am curious about the HP+.
Possibly... they are supposed to scrape the surface of the pad clean with every swipe of the slot, so it's possible that glazing might be removed from the pad, reducing squeal. This won't help if there's any glaze on your rotors, though. Only time and moderate braking will get rid of rotor glaze.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
μ

Another update.......well the autocross was a couple weeks ago now, and I'm back from Europe, so how did my Hawk HP+ perform on the 9th......Excellent!!! It was a great course to test them too as there was a LONG down hill staight followed by a VERY tight slaloom (sp??) Never one did the pads fade. there we're some othe technical breaking points on the couse other than that mother of a straight.....never a problem with the pads, just flawless performance.