motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Yeah, mine was a small little button that I put in the center console down by the shifter
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I got the Air Lift performance MK V platform slam series. Where is the swaybar end link tab? How do I connect my front sway bar without one?
| Quicksilver Catback Exhaust | Accessport | Bag Riders | Forge FMIC | Megan Control-Arms | BBS Style-5 | ALTA CAI | ALTA 19mm RSB | Retrofitted Xenons w/ Black Housing And Red Shroud | Yakima Roof Rack | Tints | Black sports stripes | Shorty Antenna | Chrome Delete | A-C Stealth Door Handles | JCW CF Shift Knob |
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM
μ

Keep in mind that these struts were made for Volkswagens and are not actually MEANT for MINIs

On Volkswagens, you have to remove the front swaybar to go low because it gets hung up on the axle. As such Airlift doesn't put a tab on for swaybars.

I personally ran without one. On a FWD car you want the front softer anyway, and you can address the sway with damper and air pressure.

With that said, if you still want to run a front swaybar...look into these. Email my buddy Drew at dorbritzdesigns and tell him you've been talking to Andrew at Stanceworks (me) about trying to bag your MINI with Airlift MK5 struts. See if he thinks these will work for our application. There's a very good chance that you will need to fab up custom endlinks if you want to roll as low as you're discussing (not hard to do)

http://dorbritzdesigns-com.myshopify...ft-performance
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I guess I will run with no sway bar in for now. Thanks for that link.

Does having no front sway bar make a significant difference in the handling?

Looks like they only put 1 of the components that screws onto the top of the strut that allowed me to put the stock top mounts on (really don't know what it's called) in the kit for the rear strut. So I guess full install will have to wait for another day.
| Quicksilver Catback Exhaust | Accessport | Bag Riders | Forge FMIC | Megan Control-Arms | BBS Style-5 | ALTA CAI | ALTA 19mm RSB | Retrofitted Xenons w/ Black Housing And Red Shroud | Yakima Roof Rack | Tints | Black sports stripes | Shorty Antenna | Chrome Delete | A-C Stealth Door Handles | JCW CF Shift Knob |

Last edited by redandblackminis; 07-09-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblackminis View Post
I guess I will run with no sway bar in for now. Thanks for that link.

Does having no front sway bar make a significant difference in the handling?

Looks like they only put 1 of the components that screws onto the top of the strut that allowed me to put the stock top mounts on (really don't know what it's called) in the kit for the rear strut. So I guess full install will have to wait for another day.
You will have more body roll with no sway bar and youll get a lot of torque steer but nothing that you can't deal with.

Just get these. They should work fine. My buddy with the clubman put these on his and they worked.
http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...-BRACKETS.html

I guess they're probably the same thing Rally was talking about. But you get the idea.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanrw View Post
You will have more body roll with no sway bar and youll get a lot of torque steer but nothing that you can't deal with.
Body roll didnt increase when i took mine out but the torque steer was crazy
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

I have been trying to install these fronts for freaking hours. The rears went on like butter, but I have spent a good 3.5+ hours just trying to get 1 front in. This knuckle is driving me CRAZY! I have cut so much material and this thing is not going through. Is there something I'm missing? Some sort of secret...?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
I have been trying to install these fronts for freaking hours. The rears went on like butter, but I have spent a good 3.5+ hours just trying to get 1 front in. This knuckle is driving me CRAZY! I have cut so much material and this thing is not going through. Is there something I'm missing? Some sort of secret...?
From what my buddy told me, nope. Just keep shaving more and more out until it fits. Shave the powdercoating off of the strut too. That will give you a little more room because the coating is so thick. It will definitely take a while though... Took my friend 2 days just for the fronts. He got everything else installed in a few hours on the first day.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks for the info... Man these things are driving me crazy. Spent 5 hours strait on one front and can't even get it through still. It is absolutely baffling. Did you see how much material he took off the strut? I took some off but I'm afraid to take more off for fear of puncturing something that shouldn't be punctured...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:32 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Got in contact with your friend, Nathan, and he helped so much. I got the tools he said to use and powered through that knuckle. I have one done and will do the other tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Hey Rally, where did you run your air lines for the front and rear?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Got in contact with your friend, Nathan, and he helped so much. I got the tools he said to use and powered through that knuckle. I have one done and will do the other tomorrow.
Awesome man. Glad it's working out for you! Yeah the pictures I saw he had almost every bit of powdercoating shaved off the strut and he still had to shave the knuckle with a dremel quite a bit. haha. Im sure its a total pain in the butt but it is going to be so worth it! Good luck with the rest. I can't wait to see it done!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
μ

Quote:
Hey Rally, where did you run your air lines for the front and rear?
Along the brake lines for rear->front

I think rears just snaked through the rear wells from the tank.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Little sample before everything is together.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Looks good! Keep up the work. Your vmaxx couldnt get you to that height?