motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 12-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Fiberglassed interior anyone?

Let me first start with the fact that I am starting go a little overboard in my thought process lately. Sorry for the long post but I hope to get some insight and ideas from you guys.

Here is the deal, my MINI has been gone since October and I get to pick it up 12/28. It has been at a shop to be used as a test bench for new products. Yes I admit I am lucky to not have to drive it but it has also driven me insane not to drive so all this has done is give me time to fuel my madness for the car.

Performance is important and have been moving forward on that front but now I want to do some cosmetics as well.

I had removed the rear seats a long time ago and put in (sorry if I insult whoever made it) the cheesy rear seat delete kit. Hey it served a purpose but it ain't sexy. We are working on making a new deck plate that will extend from the back of the front seats straight to the back of the boot. It will be aluminum with hatches to access the voids below since there is fantastic storage there. It will be anodized black (the car is D/S with a black interior with some red accents here and there).

I plan on doing the headliner and pillars in suede (this would be Tori aka TFQON and Peter at m7's fault for letting me see their cars). I actually plan on removing the seat belts and smoothing out the side pillars that the current belts are located in since I have schroth harnesses for both sides.

The other thing I desperately want to do is do something about all the rear interior panels. They scratch too easily and don't look good in the long run. I want to have them all fiberglassed and then shot in body color. My hope is to do a little bit of modification to smoot them out some, don't need pockets and other such stuff.

Has anyone seen this on a MINI? Does anyone have any pics? I have no problem doing it. It would be nice to see a picture of one already done to get some ideas.

I don't mean the Alpine car because that is a completely different animal.

Anyway... hope I get some ideas from the mu folk. I also plan to dechrome and make it more D/S all the way around. Not sure where we will start but the project begins the first week of Jan. (probably the suede first....) heck, I'm even toying the idea of shaving the handles...

I definitely need to hang out on this site a lot more hopefully no one will get too sick of me

later

chris
Old 12-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well Ijust realized that I can't spell worth a damn.... oh well can't change the title now!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
μ

Sounds like a cool project. If we get the house with the garage I plan on doing some interior mods including custom fiberglass pieces.

One of the things I wanted to do, but never got around to doing was to spray the interior panels in the back, back of the seats, the rear seat delete, and sub enclosure with bedliner material. That would make everything match and give a durable surface for hauling tools, tires, etc. for track days.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM
μ

yeah glassing it would be sweet. I dont think it would be so hard. You could use the stock panels to get an idea of the shape, no? I would be afraid to glass it because of rattles, creaks and noises. There was a guy that posted on nam where he changed his seats and sweuded the whole interior in white and gray. It looked amazing Imo. Maybe a rear seat delete and suede all around would get a similar look to what you are looking for?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm not sure about sueding the whole interior. I know I won't be rhino lining as this car i only used for enjoyment not to haul anything around anymore, which is why the panels look so bad now.

The suede would look nice but I think if I made all the interior panels body color it would look really slick. We shall see!

The project will get under way in some fashion around the firt of the year so we shall see.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

my buddy did this for the blaupunkt MINI he did a few years ago... although it was a slightly different reason..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
μ

Dayum!!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That is definitely farther than I want to go but I have to saw wow to the work done on it!

It is in the right direction. My hope is that I can do the entire back of the car behind the front seats and maybe incorporate some of it on the doors (a little at least)...

thanks for the pics!

oh and thanks to whoever fixed my poor spelling. I know someone was going to look at me funny when I tried to go to the store and buy firberglass!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

my suggestion is to go and buy another set of all the trim panels you want to duplicate... then pull yours and switch them out so you're not marking up the good ones. After that, sand the pieces with very course paper... then (doing this outside, preferably somewhere well ventilated but not windy). you spread a layer of resin on the piece and then cover it in the fiberglass mat. then you put more resin on it. you will probably want to do a few layers but I could be wrong... you may be able to pull it off with only one layer of matt. the trick is to build up the resin so that there is enough there to sand it smooth and not get down into the mat. I was in the garage for some of the fiberglass work on that car, but it was on a wire framed speaker box. I wish I had been there for the dash! What's funny is that my omni was that guy's first headliner install (blue tweed) but MAN has he come a long way. you can see some of Bill and Mikes other blau cars here:
http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/events_2.asp#

the rabbit, bug, vw bus, mini, smart car and Xb are theirs.