motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 08-01-2009, 04:09 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default electronic suspension

hey guys, i've been thinking about saving up for a suspension overhaul on the mini, but here's my predicament. i'm already bottoming the car out on the ride height that i got her with, and i have a small enough wheelgap that it's not an issue, but i'd like to be able to adjust the height as i see fit. i don't want regular coilovers, because sometimes, i would need to raise the car up to at least its current height, maybe a little bit more, in order to avoid scraping or (in the case of one of my friends' driveways) clipping my rear apron and my muffler every time i leave the driveway, and it kinda looks stupid throwing a car in park and pulling out a wrench just to get onto and off of a driveway. i don't want air ride because it would drive me insane to find a place to hide the tank and compressor in the car (not to mention finding airbags small enough to install in the mini's strut towers), and i've heard that air ride ruins the handling, which is one thing i love about my mini.

the 3-series guys get cool on-the-fly adjustable coilovers, like bilstein's RideControl, where they can adjust the damping from inside the car. do any systems like that exist for the mini, and better yet, do any exist that can actually adjust the height, and not just the damping?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
μ

KW coilovers make a suspension set up that can be raised and lowered on command to get over speed bumps etc. It doesn't appear to be made for Minis, yet, but it may be an option.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P..._HLS/index.php
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by argensfinest View Post
i don't want air ride because it would drive me insane to find a place to hide the tank and compressor in the car (not to mention finding airbags small enough to install in the mini's strut towers), and i've heard that air ride ruins the handling, which is one thing i love about my mini.
Airride doesn't ruin handling. I love my handling still.

Finding bags that fit is hard, but do-able. The bags I've got fit very well despite being a tight fit.

Airride and hydraulics are really your only options. There's the electro magnet stuff, but you'd have to do major work to make it fit our cars and it's not readily available.

The cockpit damping control is simply a little electronic servo atop the strut to turn the adjustment knob. Ride height adjustment is much more complicated that that, so it can't be adjusted in the same method.

With all that said, how low are you? What are you scraping on? Is it just the silly plastic lip?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Looks like Bilstein and KW just took the Tein EDFC idea and added to it...

Edit: Actually, the Bilstein system is identical to the Tein EDFC. It doesn't look like you can adjust ride height from inside the vehicle. Only the KW looks like it has a miniature airbag system built in to the coilover, with the ability to change ride height from inside the vehicle. It also looks like the KW HLS can be retrofitted to any coilover system as it's just a hydraulic spacer between the springs and the perch.