motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default 80's H3 fog light wiring

awhile back i picked up these
Click the image to open in full size.
I'm going to hook them up for this winter so i started taking them apart so i can figure out how i should wire them.
what's known:
H3 55w bulb housing (glass lens)
has not wiring from the housing, just a new hole-less grommet ready to receive wiring
my car has the external fuse block for the rally light OEM accesory but no wiring around the bumper where the lights would be.
the metal terminal on the housing is either corroded or galvanized (i'm not sure why it would be galvanized though...)

would it be better to just wiring in a standalone fused circuit for the fog lights or try to find the wires for the fog lights and extend them hoping they support the current these fog lights require?

i'll be attempting to wire this up in about a month when i do my pre-winter overhaul. beer will be provided if you want to help

this is what has been answered so far from a buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
Use the existing fog light wiring in conjunction with a relay and direct fused power from the battery. If you use the existing fog light circuit to power these, you will be doubling the current carried by the facotry wiring, and that's a BAD idea.

Using the relay setup, you won't have to install a second switch to turn them on, you can utilize the existing fog light wiring to trip the relay.

Like this, except pin 85 on the relay would be tapped into your power wire on the factory fog light harness:

i wanted some Mini owners advice since you guys would be a little more familiar with the mini specific info

i don't currently have any fog lights what so ever on the car so unless the current wiring harness is wired into the headlights, i wouldn't be doubling up on the current in that harness. I also don't have any toggle switches or noticeable wiring from the previous fog lights other than the mini fuse holder up against my firewall (wires end at the main harness next to the airbox)

any help would be appreciated, all else fails i'll just make a stand alone harness for the foglights to save the headache.

edit: top score, these are Trabant foglights XD
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Rusty....

I know your question is about MINI wiring, but wanted to make sure you have the rubber seals. I didn't see them in your pics.

Usually there is a rubber dust boot that attaches over the area where the bulb seats with those wire spring clips. It keeps dirt and moisture out of inside the light itself as well as keeping the wire connections to the bulb tabs from corroding. Hopefully these important pieces were included? If not, maybe give Susquehanna Motor Sport a call. They may be able to fix you up. http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx
Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

on these it seals to the backing
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
there's a rubber grommet next to the mounting bracket that you poke a hole into to feed the wiring through. these lamps seal tighter than a ticks ass