motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM
μ

Default Matching the BARS!

My Cooper is equipped with the 24mm front sway bar that came with the car when I ordered it with the Sports Suspension Plus option. I've been doing research about sway-bars recently and have come to the conclusion that I need to beef-up my front sway bar as I have beefed up my rear sway bar.

This research came in the form of an old Grassroots Motorsports article about upgrading both rear AND front bars. Now I have heard may people say that putting a bigger front sway bar in a MINI will amplify understeer, but if that front bar was combined with a larger rear sway bar, wouldn't that make the MINI handle more neutral as opposed to being some what loose in the rear with just a rear sway bar?

The only front sway bars available for the MINI are 27mm hollow. While they are hollow, the resistance is quite a bit greater than that of the stock 24mm one translating to a more balanced car when weaving though the cones or the twisties, or so I believe.

If my theories are correct, then I'll be looking to add a bigger front sway bar to my old Cooper.

For the record, I have a 19mm solid rear sway bar currently installed. It only has 2 settings, and I do not know the brand of the bar nor do I know how much more resistance over stock each setting gives. I'm also rocking a set of Bilstein Sport Struts and Shocks, H&R Sport Springs, Helix rear control arms, and a set of Helix Camber plates.

Have at it, let me hear your opinions on this subject.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Retired

does the car feel unbalanced to you as is?

I have a similar set up, 19mm Minspeed 3 way adjustable on full stiff, megan coils, camber plates, and SPC rear control arms, and custom alignment. My car feels very balanced and I can get 1.06 lateral G's on it as is (according to dynolicious on my iPhone). If I push really hard, I can get the back end out and almost "drift" through a corner if I keep the hammer down. No way I would want a front bar, I think that would actually cause some increased understear. Granted, the front would stay more level, but I feel having the give up front allows for more steering control. But that might just be in my mind.

Overall, my car feels so solid and flat anyway, I think the change would be far too aggressive for my style, but again, that is my personal preference. I am sure the folks at grassroots know WAY more than I do about balance and handling, but I just can't imagine why you would want to be "increasing" the front understear while trying to eliminate rear rotation. My experience with front sway bars on my V-dubs and Audis and Subarus was that when I added a matched bar to the rear that I had already done, every time, I went back to stock...as the car just seemed to "push" through the corners more. So, with the MINI, I only focused on the rear, and was very happy right away with the simple 3-way 19mm bar I have.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Unfortunately, you're going past my understanding of suspension tuning...

I have the sports suspension front bar (smaller than the plus) and a big rear bar. I know that there have been times that I thought I wanted a larger front bar... but I don't think that was really the answer. If you can mess with spring rates, that would be the way to go. But that's harder and more expensive than just changing a swaybar.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

yesss front sway is the way to go. only problem I forsee is rainy autox

omgzz
Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
μ

Get a new car... Cooper S FTW
Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
μ

wheres the dig a hole smiley

omgzz
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
μ

Unless Dan @ Grassroots Garage has already sold the Hotchkis front bar that I never used on my R53 it's yours. I think that with a stiff enough rear bar you may feel the need for a front bar, but I'm not sure how much it will really help. For example... The guy I work with that has been autocrossing for probably 25+ years just put the skinny front bar on his R56 MCS. He said it should help him to have more front traction instead of lifting the front wheel up a little in tight turns.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:42 PM
μ

for a cooper I think the bar will do a lot of good. for a cooper s you may have autox traction issues. front bar + lsd on a cooper s would be splendid

omgzz
Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
μ

Well, not that I autoX, but I run a JCW suspension kit front bar on mine. It has a 19mm 3-way adjustable rear on the stiffest setting. I have the stock LSD as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Well, not that I autoX, but I run a JCW suspension kit front bar on mine. It has a 19mm 3-way adjustable rear on the stiffest setting. I have the stock LSD as well.
the verdict?

omgzz
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
μ

When I ran the Koseis and RS2's it pulled the fastest time around VIR south course for a non race prepped car. I was within 2-3 seconds of the fastest MINI of the day and he raced it professionally.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
μ

who's mini is that? thats awesome

omgzz
Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

You could look into the r53 bar too. It's thicker than the r50 sport I think, but not as stiff as the h-sport. Nice option if you can find one someone doesn't want.

I've got one laying around that you could have if you can't find one in cali. Just pay shipping
Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
μ

they are the same from when I measured. I have no idea about the jcw for a cooper s r56 though?

omgzz
Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Oh...scratch that then