motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Seen most of them.. I would recomend the HSports design over most others...
Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Mark let me know what you end up going with. I need to pick up a pair of lower ones as well and will be interested to hear what you end up with. Let me know if you want to get together for install or use my garage.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSMini View Post
Mark let me know what you end up going with. I need to pick up a pair of lower ones as well and will be interested to hear what you end up with. Let me know if you want to get together for install or use my garage.
I ended up going with Alta. Possibly not the best. But they are within driving distance and a decent price. They are making them for me while I drive down there.

And, uh, ya, I'll just go ahead and have the car towed over to Lake Stevens for this I think I might have to call a mobile mechanic. I crawled under there this morning, compressor all fired up and everything, and realized this is no job for me
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It isn't too bad, especially if you have a compressor. Get the rear up and the weight off of the wheels. You are just going to remove the two lower arms. It will be 4 bolts total for the whole job. You can see the two on the driver's side really well here:

Click the image to open in full size.

Use your unbroken arm to set the length of the new ones by sliding a bolt through both ends, lock them down, and then bolt them up. This one shows the upper and lowers replaced, but there is really no reason to get aftermarket upper arms. I'm Wes BTW, I just live vicariously through my wife's (Kelli) MINI. Hope this helps as it is a lot easier to do than it looks.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers

Last edited by Batrugger; 06-01-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah, the work isn't that hard. You'll have to have jackstands, of course. And the right size wrenches / sockets.

The bolts holding the inboard end can be hard to get at - especially on the passenger's side of a Cooper. I forget wether the stuff that was in the way was the exhaust or the fuel tank, but something was definitely in the way.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooop View Post
When some one sat down to design that little stretch of road, did they say "lets make this as fun as possible".
Got to feel sorry for the one or two semis that have to go around that.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post
Yeah, the work isn't that hard. You'll have to have jackstands, of course. And the right size wrenches / sockets.

The bolts holding the inboard end can be hard to get at - especially on the passenger's side of a Cooper. I forget wether the stuff that was in the way was the exhaust or the fuel tank, but something was definitely in the way.
The outer bolt is a 30-second job. The inner one I have been at for an hour and finally gave up. Everything possible is in the way. I will try again in the a.m. (good thing I have Mondays/Tuesdays off work).

Wes and BrownMINI: Do you remember whether you had to remove the gas tank, loosen the exhaust, both, neither? I can't latch on to the bolt with anything. So frustrating that the outer bolt doesn't require a nut, but the inner one that's completely unreachable does
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Tell Dean to get his butt over there...he can get to anything..really.

Macht Schnell!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

He's supposed to come over tomorrow night and start looking over the garage site. If I haven't figured this out by then I'm a little sunk. Was hoping to run it over for an allignment mid-morning so it's OK to drive to work on Wednesday. Ah well, it's all good. At least it's simply turning wrenches. No air or heat needed

Related story: I was able to get the smaller of the two halves off tonight and I'm showing the piece to my neighbor who points out that breaks in the OEM piece happened at different points in time. No way to know exactly how long I was driving it around with half broken and the other half waiting to break. Given the amount of times we have futzed around with this car's suspension parts I'm amazed me and others who have worked on Scoop didn't see this.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

You should be able to drive it to work fine without an alignment. The control arms just adjust camber. It'll only get annoying when your toe is out (or in).
Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
You should be able to drive it to work fine without an alignment. The control arms just adjust camber. It'll only get annoying when your toe is out (or in).
Oh cool! Thanks Moxie
Old 06-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

We did not have to remove the gas tank or exhaust. It was just a pain to get a wrench in there.

Sorry, but I don't remember the details of what sort of wrench was used where. And, since my car is a Cooper, things are in different places anyway - especially the exhaust.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No, nothing to remove. It was almost three years ago that I did it so I can't give you specifics either, sorry.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ended up just shoving a wrench up there to block the nut from turning. After a bit I got it. Royal PITA, though. Scoop's now resting all comfy at the alignment shop. Thanks all

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2778.JPG (59.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Glad to hear it went well!