motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

sorry guys...

topmount wasn't fitting... was the wrong set

R53 type...

when i find A fitting one.. I will post my comments here

Coen
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Do it. I'm interested in how these are.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

if they are the same as the BC then your going to have issues when dropping them below 30 mm the springs wont hold their pre load and will rattle about
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

They are junk from my experiences, I had a set on my old 240sx when they first came out.

I received a sample set from D2 themselves after finding them at SEMA 5 or so years ago before they were in North America. However since I rode in a car with a set a few months ago and my impressions were still the same.

After the dampers blew in 3 months they sent a set with their new 'revised' dampers and these were a touch better but still poor even after being revalved at their factory to match the spring rates.

They damping is awful on them and the springs are beyond poor quality. I purchased QA1 racing springs to replace the ones supplied from D2 and it made quite a difference, however the shocks were still their downfall IMO. I am not sure about now, but when I used them the dampers were only rated to -5*C.

They are good if you are on a very very tight budget and do not care about handling, and want to go low and cruise. The ride is not stiff on them but it is mushy even on maximum hardness.

But what can you expect for that price? I would compare them to K-Sport... Megan and BC are much better quality form my experiences.

I actually have a friend who raced a 240sx in Castrol GT Touring Car Champs with D2s for a short period of time and the entire shock body actually bent a considerable amount....

Food for thought...

Last edited by broadwayline; 07-13-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No personal experience, so this is just my .02 for what it's worth.

Since the OP said "any opinions or experiences" I'll weigh in. When I used to be really active on the Nissan forums, probably 4-5 years ago, D2 coilovers were quickly gaining an awful reputation. They leaked almost instantly and broke frequently. Don't recally anything about how their warranty support was but I can imagine "not good". When I saw this thread, I thought, "Hmm, D2 sounds familiar..." so I googled the hell out of it. Found a mix of things. Reviews or thread posts dating back to 2005 and earlier seem to indicate that D2 COs were major garbage. Like, better of riding on blown shocks garbage. Reviews in 2008 and 2009 seem to be much more positive. Don't know if they changed suppliers or manufacturing techniques, but they seem to have improved their game. Here are a couple reviews made recently (NSX, Audi):

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66398

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=276875

Opinion: Past experiences, particularly from the Nissan crowd, are going to turn you off from these. For the price, and considering the number of positive reviews from MINI owners, you would probably be better off with Megans.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

D2, KSport, Megan, BorChuann are all the same poorly made coilovers. Damping is awful and the springs just as bad.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Pretty sure they aren't the exact same coil. I thought the same thing. Same/similar basic design, but I don't think you can say that they're all the same thing and that they're crappy. I've actually heard some good things about Megans with new front springs, btw.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 AM
µ Leadership

i think ninjlao knows his stuff. he has done tons of suspension studying
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hey... you're the one that was feeding me the good stuff on the Megans.

As far as the coils being the exact same... I could be wrong. I just remember being corrected on that before. :shrugs:

Edit: Yeah, looking back on the Nissan boards, it seems like they're not really the same. They're all still crappy (which was never a debate), but it looks like the D2's are actually the better of the group.

Edit my edit: Mixed reviews on D2's (vs. Megans). They may not be the better of the group.

Last edited by Moxie; 08-31-2009 at 02:53 AM..
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

They aren't the exact same....but I'm pretty sure ninjlao was just saying that they're on the same quality/design level which is true.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

How do the Vmaxx coilovers stack up? I've heard negative things about the ride quality and handling, but not necessarily about the build quality. Based on price point, one would instinctively believe that the Megans would be higher quality than the Vmaxx.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
They aren't the exact same....but I'm pretty sure ninjlao was just saying that they're on the same quality/design level which is true.
Werd. Just trying to clarify.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by camthewookie View Post
How do the Vmaxx coilovers stack up? I've heard negative things about the ride quality and handling, but not necessarily about the build quality. Based on price point, one would instinctively believe that the Megans would be higher quality than the Vmaxx.
I can't attest personally, but Ryphile explained it to me like this (keeping in mind he's been on both KW V1's and VMaxx):

"Like you said, I had both the KW V1 and the V-Maxx on my R56. The KW V1 stayed on, and the V-Maxx's got sent back. The KW's are a half-step improvement from stock in terms of both ride quality and handling, whereas the V-Maxx are a step back in handling transitions due to their loose damping. You get what you pay for in this case. Get the V1's....or even the V1's from TSW for another setup up in handling. None of these setups however are ideal for track; they're too soft for going full-on, but will still be ok for spirited fun. A full step up from the V1's would be the KW V2's from TSW with their custom damping and spring rates. If you can spring the cash and give up a tiny tiny bit of ride quality they'd be awesome double-duty coilovers."

Based on what I've heard from others, the ride is pretty nice, btw.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

KW are the only coilover we sell these days a bit more expensive but not much so and leagues ahead of anything else in the same price range
Old 08-31-2009, 01:26 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I wouldn't agree with the vmaxx's being a step back. They're a small step forward.

Their job is simple. They are meant to provide a decent ride, marginal handling improvements, and the ability to slam your car....all for a low price. They do this well. If I tracked my car, I wouldn't use VMAXX. If you're on a budget but you want to lower your daily driver, I don't think there's any beating vmaxx's. Who cares how your car handles at 9/10's if it's just used to go 45mph on public roads....