motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default tow hooks

Please, this is not about people plasti-dipping the stock hook and driving around with it all the time - with a "pull to inflate" sticker.

I was almost "that guy" at Tremblant... I forgot to bring my tow hook with me, and the car broke and needed to be towed / dragged. The tow driver looped the tow line around the rollbar (through the driver's window) and used that to pull the car. I didn't get a flatbed ride, I was dragged along behind the flatbed. Not optimal, but it got the car off the track without holding up the next run group.

Then, I got to experience securing a MINI (well, both of my MINIs) to a trailer. The stock tow hooks are pretty good, but there's only one on each end of the car. I resorted to using some combinations of tow hooks, and straps through the spokes of the wheels.

Anybody have any info / history on real tow hooks?

This style still looks a little more "style" to me than purpose, but isn't bad:
Click the image to open in full size.
The idea is that some organizations require tow hooks that don't extend beyond the bumper - so they won't poke holes in other people's radiators. This hinged hook accomplishes this.

I like this style:

or this:

etc

Basically, I'd like to have a tow hook on each of the four corners...

Bueller?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Deviant

I've seen tie-downs that attach to the lower suspension mounting points to facilitate tying the MINI down so I'd look for a set of these for when you tow it on a flatbed or trailer. Otherwise I'd just get a decent tow hook in the front and rear positions, I just use the stock one so I don't know if any of the folding ones accomplish more than just decoration.
Like these:

Last edited by Deviant; 06-26-2009 at 04:04 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via MSN to Misnblu

I just installed one on my car because it's such a pain to have to remove the front bumper to have the car towed.
Case in point is coming from the drag strip, the fuel pump died on me, and had to remove the front bumper to have to get the car home.
Now with the front tow hook, it's just a matter of hooking it up to the tow hook and we're on the way.
Here's what mine looks like.

The hook is tied into the crash bar in front of the car and covered by the front bumper. It's what I've always used for a tow and never had a problem with the crash bar.
Eventually I'll be adding a rear tow hook but as of now, haven't had the time to see where I can mount one.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:27 AM
µ Leadership

Do you have any install pics of that. I am wanting to do the same thing with my car. I have been looking at my bumper support thinking about it
Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via MSN to Misnblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Do you have any install pics of that. I am wanting to do the same thing with my car. I have been looking at my bumper support thinking about it
The only way to do it was to cut into the crash bar so that I could fit the sockets/ wrenches to torque it down.
Structurally though it should still be good but we'll see once it's actually used.
Here's the pics of it looking from top to the bottom of the crush guard.
You'll see the tow hook mounted to it and the bolts showing through the cutout which I did with a cutting wheel.

Same pic but done higher up looking down. The tow hook is just above the oil cooler which I had to lower just a bit to make it fit..

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 AM
µ Leadership

thats exactly what i needed. thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I have seen heavy webbing tow straps used at various events. They seem to be approved by various racing organizations. This would certainly meet the requirement of not protruding past the bumper.

Sorry, no pictures.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

I would prefer the one with the soft eye and not he ring so it wouldn't be banging up the finish of the bumper as much.

Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 07-30-2010 at 02:23 PM..